Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 04:18 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times

Advertisements

NYer's can be a strange people, a little hint of it here but tons of it at work and out in the World.

All NYer's, Upstate I mean, know that crime is pretty much limited to the cities. I go into Syracuse fairly often and you wouldn't believe how crazy everybody thinks I am. Non stop murder and hooker jokes, so far I have not been murdered and as far as I know have not seen a hooker but thats what people think.

But when they talk of other states they think the violence is more wide spread. Just step out of your car in Florida and you will be met with a barrage of gunfire. If they won't go to Syracuse all of a sudden they are gonna go to the ghetto of Jacksonville?? But thats what alot of NYer's think.

My part of NY has a huge ammount of property crime. I have hundreds of dollars invested in locks and it takes me 10 minutes every morning to make sure everything is secure. Anything I forget is gone. Simple rules. My Dad in Florida leaves stuff out all the time. I'm like WTF??

There, here and everywhere its all about distance from the cities. I have been to 35 states and almost all major cities(the safe parts) and I have never seen a violent crime anywhere. Ever. And I'm getting older and even more conservative so I'd say I have a good shot at never seeing one my whole life in any area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 06:43 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
No one is saying it is more widespread at all, but people make it seem like NY is so violent when it isn't. It is middle of the pack in terms of violent crime and in comparison to Florida, it is much lower, as FL is in the top 5-10 on a regular basis. There isn't a city in NY or anywhere that is completely bad. So, a little perspective is due for this subject. Even the cities mentioned in the OP vary depending upon the area of those cities. If anything, he/she should have found a comparable city in NY.

Also, I don't know where people are getting that Geneva and some of these mid major cities in NY are so bad when it depends on where you are or they automatically think if it has a relatively high minority population, it is bad. I think Geneva is a great example of this.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:06 AM

Also, keep in mind that this is in Buffalo too:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
A Few years ago when i went to live with my Uncle and Aunt in West Palm Beach, Fl for my 9th grade year, i remmber one day at school in my Math class some kids where talking about NY is a Violent or high crime state in general. I didn't think much of then but about a week ago it is starting to seem of interest to me now.
So like most outsiders or people who have never been to NYC or the State for that matter when they think horrible crime areas they thing Harlem, South Bronx, Brooklyn, South Jamaica Queens or NYC as a whole just bad, but little do they know there areas outside the city that are horrible.
Just think
Yonkers
Mount Vernon
Newburgh
Buffalo
just name some areas whit serious gang, drugs, and violence issuses.
Now i'd like to ask you guys what you think on this?
Why are you so surprised that people outside of NY have such biased views? It is no different then the stereotype NYers hold for every other resident in this county. I mean just say your from the south and they assume that you are the product of incest with a 4th grade education. I am exagerating but it seems to be human nature in this country to have some pre-conceived impression of each area.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Why are you so surprised that people outside of NY have such biased views? It is no different then the stereotype NYers hold for every other resident in this county. I mean just say your from the south and they assume that you are the product of incest with a 4th grade education. I am exagerating but it seems to be human nature in this country to have some pre-conceived impression of each area.
Basically and I can relate, as my parents are from the South. It is funny how people generalize and take one aspect of something, then run with it.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:14 PM

383 posts, read 1,316,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

OMG

Thats NY?? Google image search. I had no idea.

I'll have to call my Father later. He is Polish and he lived in Buffalo in the early 60's. I am guessing he must have lived in that area. No wonder he hates Buffalo.
told you dude. East Buffalo is horrible i heard west is getting bad to, but the North side along with downtown are nice.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
Please don't call me friend, I don't know you from David Duke! And I never mentioned the New York City area or Long Island anywhere in my previous Post!! And I said I don't know that much about the Lower Hudson River Valley. So, I'm NOT talking about those regions.

But now I GET-IT from your Posts, what you are ACTUALLY/REALLY trying to do. You weren't REALLY INTERESTED in obtaining factual, honest, objective information about New York State cities. You were/are just trying to give people living elsewhere in other States & some places here in New York State, the FALSE DISHONEST impression that New York State IS a violent state. Well, I can tell you that us decent, knowledgeable citizens who live here in Upstate NY and who know conditions in OUR Upstate cities (Syracuse, Rochester, Albany/Capital District, Watertown, Binghamton, Utica/Rome/Herkimer) won't let you get away with falsely denigrating our Upstate cities that YOU DO NOT personally know anything about.

The impression you are trying to give is that violence is widespread all across our cities and THAT JUST ISN'T TRUE!! Whatever crime that might exist in NY cities is basically limited/confined to specific neighborhood of a city; NOT CITYWIDE.

I'll remind you again, that our Upstate Cities don't try to dilute crime figures by annexing our Suburbs/Populations which many Cities in the Sunbelt States have done.

My comment to you is along the same line as Airborneguy, take the unsubstantiated "hearsay" you find on the internet about New York State being so violent, take your "hearsay" to Italy and maybe they'll convict New York State of being a violent state like they convicted Amanda Knox (just released from prison) of murdering her college roommate. Sorry, you can't "railroad" nor "kangaroo court" us Upstate Cities residents into agreeing with you that New York State is a violent state; BECAUSE IT ISN'T!!!
you have issue and need to chill out. I in no way is trying to do that. Your Negitivity isn't needed here sir. Thanks and Good Bye

Old 10-05-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voilalaura View Post
NYC has crime because it's a city, a huge city and huge cities have huge crime.

NYS and NYC might as well be separate states as far as people in either places are concerned.

Everything I say after this is based solely on my 20 years experience of living in NYS. The thing about NYS is that there is a lot of industrial poverty. Especially Buffalo, which is technically considered to be part of the rust belt. Buffalo has really nice suburbs, but the actual city isn't the most beautiful by any means.

Traveling east, Rochester used to be pretty rough (YES IT DID!) a few years back now, it has the highest murder rate per capita in the state. When we lost Kodak and Xerox everyone was saying there finally farewells to the city, but a lot of gentrification has been done and now it's "made for living."

The finger lakes are beautiful with the exception of Geneva NY, where if you leave the lake front, you're surrounded by drug addicts and extreme poverty.

Syracuse is nice.

Binghamton is doing essentially the opposite of gentrification, it's actually getting worse (or so it would seem.) My friends house was broken into and she was held at gunpoint for her laptop.

Then you hit the Schenectady/Albany area which is just a shame. Schenectady is just... pretty much horrible. The downtown is already, but it suffers from some serious burn out industry syndrome as well. Albany is a disappointment of a capital.

And then NYC

But ultimately, I'm sure other states have similar issues, especially north/middle eastern states. I lived in NYS for 20 years and never had a violent thing happen to me.
I myself have gone to Albany many times since i have family up there, and Albany is going down hill fast. I thought Arbor Hill was the worst area, but a majority of areas right outside of downtown are getting worse.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
I myself have gone to Albany many times since i have family up there, and Albany is going down hill fast. I thought Arbor Hill was the worst area, but a majority of areas right outside of downtown are getting worse.
Like where? South End neighborhoods have had a bad Rep, but Albany has its share of neighborhoods that are fine. Again, what is the point of this thread and have you looked at cities in FL to even compare? For instance, find a city of this size in NY with a crime rate like this: //www.city-data.com/city/Belle-Glade-Florida.html

That is worse than pretty much any city, big or small in NY. Here's another: //www.city-data.com/city/Homestead-Florida.ht

Even West Palm Beach puts up homicide numbers on par with Syracuse, but has about 50,000 less people: //www.city-data.com/city/West-P...h-Florida.html

I'm sure I can find more examples too.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:57 AM

240 posts, read 557,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, I don't know where people are getting that Geneva and some of these mid major cities in NY are so bad when it depends on where you are or they automatically think if it has a relatively high minority population, it is bad. I think Geneva is a great example of this.
Yeah... I lived there. The reason Geneva is bad isn't because of "minority population." It's (like I said before) because of poverty. It's a lake front community, and the wealthy people come in for the summer and pump some semblance of a cash flow into it and then leave. And what's left is the poor. That's how some other lake front towns are too.

I'm not saying you're going to die if you go there, but a lot of unseen violence occurs there, like domestic abuse. It's not an uplifting place to visit unless you come between June and August and have so money to spend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York