Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:21 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Oneida is 23 miles exactly from the city line of Syracuse. Thats by way of the near perfect Fayetteville. On schools F-M was rated an 8 while Oneida was a 7.
Hello CCA1965,

Yeah, Sean is correct about his most-direct driving route (23 miles-Route 5) between Oneida and Syracuse city lines.

I did not use the driving route that Sean used=(shortest by way of Route 5 through Fayetteville). I measured by taking Interstate 90/NY State Thruway and I also was measuring from downtown Syracuse to downtown Oneida which added more miles distance; therefore my 30-35 miles. I was not trying to mislead you=CCA1965 about the distance between Syracuse & Oneida. I often use Downtown Syracuse as a center point for the WHOLE Metro Syracuse/Suburbs area when giving distances. Sean IS correct as he is using city lines, not downtown points.

Here are examples of the "AS-A-BIRD-FLIES" distances, from downtown-Suburb to downtown-Suburb, ACROSS the WHOLE Metro Syracuse area: Manlius downtown to Baldwinsville downtown = 21 miles, Manlius dwtn to Camillus dwtn = 17 miles, Cicero dwtn to Nedrow dwtn = 15 miles, Cicero dwtn to Manlius dwtn = 14 miles, Cicero downtown to Syracuse downtown = 10 miles; remember that these are "AS-A-BIRD-FLIES" distances NOT driving distances=driving distances will be longer. NOT THAT ANY OF THESE BETWEEN-SUBURBS DISTANCES MATTER TO YOU.

As for school ratings. I believe that our NYS Suburban Schools have Higher STANDARDS than schools in many States in the south including Florida. Some teachers in southern schools would not qualify to teach in New York State Schools because they lack the qualifications established by NYS. A teacher friend of mine who teaches junior high school in Florida told me that he would not qualify to teach in HIS native Michigan nor in New York State. I can tell you that our SUBURBAN Syracuse Schools do not lack for resources (computer use, school & village libraries, school counselors, more) available for our Students to get a very good education if they apply themselves/are motivated/study/learn, take education serious and do not fool-around/disrupt-classes/goof-off while attending school classes; nowdays students have so-much-more/resources available to them than I did years ago when I attended school and received a very good education. Parents must also be involved in motivating/moderating their own children to DO WELL, achieve good grades and take education serious so that the children develop a solid foundation for attaining a good future job and successful future career/life. For the most part (maybe a few exceptions), I think your children could receive a good education in most any SUBURBAN School in the good suburbs of Syracuse, Rochester, or Capital District Cities (other cities Suburbs too) with YOU & YOUR HUSBAND's involvement/moderating of your children's studies/learning/progress/grade-scores/achievements.

In regard to the amount of rent you think your family would be able to pay for a single family rental home, if you could give me a rent price range that you think you could afford, then I might be able to advise you of towns/villages/places that might fit-in your budget. The previous towns I mentioned to you - Elbridge, Phoenix, Weedsport, Port Byron, ?Canastota?=(Sean might know), etc. ..... - would probably have affordable rental homes for your budget. If you prefer to NOT give a rent price figure (that's your personal info) I understand completely; I do respect your privacy.

If you need additional information, I'm sure that ckhthankgod & Sean & I would be glad to help you with answers.

grdnrman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 02:38 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times
I base my mileage number on several factors, most of which use some pretty high end computer models and fairly advanced mathematics. The time involved is considerable but I would be happy to go over the formulas with you sometime.

Just messing with ya, there is a sign out in front of work that states Syracuse-23 miles. Any other numbers on my part would be at best a wild guess.

Houses for rent are pretty rare and the few available tend to rent for quite alot. The reason is pretty simple, Section 8 will pay far more then the market would ever bare. So if someone doesn't believe in welfare or does but doesn't qualify they can most time buy a house for less then rent.

There really is no reason to not buy a house in Oneida if thats where one wants to live. Just glancing around I see several houses under 50K. Some of these houses are in pretty marginal areas so for sure I'd ask first. At least two of them I saw were in pretty nice areas, one was just up the street. My street is near the nice/ghetto line so you will see some crime but nothing like downtown.

Below I am gonna put up a like to a house in Oneida Castle which is actually in the Utica metro so mods forgive me. But I plugged the numbers into a mortgage calculator and with no money down except closing closes of coarse the payment is 299 a month. Who in the heck would rent?? Taxes are 1600$ so I'd add 200ish a month for escrow. And that area is prolly one of the safest areas in the known world. I wish houses were this cheap when I bought. That house last sold for 50K in 1989 now its down to 45K.

Search Oneida, Canastota, Sherrill Real Estate Listings For Sale

Old 10-14-2011, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,913 times
Thanks for all the replies, I have a lot of information to start out with, yay! Not sure about being able to buy a home, as we have owned our home for 8 years now & because of the economy my husband lost his job (painter/construction) & foreclosure is upon us I'm sure. When the economy went sour it really affected the construction businesses down here. I'm the only one working at the moment & it's not enough to cover the mortgage that we currently have. So will have to check into if we can qualify for a home or not considering the circumstances. I miss the change of seasons & have been here in Florida way to long, fall is my favorite time of year & I look forward to the day when I can actual enjoy it more from a different perspective. Give me an idea of good neighborhoods to look into, rent I'm thinking no more than 1,200-1,300 give or take. We have one vehicle I know most people us public transit, would love to live out a bit away from the hustle of everything. A nice view, fall leaves, have 4 children ranging from 2-14 so definitely a decent neighborhood & schools is a must. I know what you mean as far as the schools go. Florida has bad schools, the one they're in now actually is a pretty good one. I heard a few years back some teachers from Virginia were sent down here to help train our teachers & administration better, what does that tell you! It's really hard to decide where to go when you've been in one place for so long & want to make sure we don't get into a bad neighborhood. I will be flying to Boston in a few months to visit my brother & am hoping to be able to drive into NY to look into the areas. Anyone know of construction/painting job websites, etc where my husband can send a resume to? Thanks for all the help

Old 10-14-2011, 08:35 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times
Well if you need mass transit my area is out. In fact except afew cities and the first ring of suburbs of those cities Upstate NY is out.

Another thing, and I really don't know how this will play out, is landlords of nicer places will be doing a credit check. In areas hit hard by the recession they are prolly getting alittle flexible. But up here we never had a boom so we haven't really had a bust. You may find landlords up here to be more by the book.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:57 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Do you want a more walkable community, like many of the villages and older planned suburbs or it doesn't matter either way? Here are some potential jobs he may be interested in: Construction jobs in Syracuse, NY - Indeed Mobile

Old 10-14-2011, 02:47 PM

Default Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA1965 View Post
Thanks for all the replies, I have a lot of information to start out with, yay! Not sure about being able to buy a home, as we have owned our home for 8 years now & because of the economy my husband lost his job (painter/construction) & foreclosure is upon us I'm sure. When the economy went sour it really affected the construction businesses down here. I'm the only one working at the moment & it's not enough to cover the mortgage that we currently have. So will have to check into if we can qualify for a home or not considering the circumstances. I miss the change of seasons & have been here in Florida way to long, fall is my favorite time of year & I look forward to the day when I can actual enjoy it more from a different perspective. Give me an idea of good neighborhoods to look into, rent I'm thinking no more than 1,200-1,300 give or take. We have one vehicle I know most people us public transit, would love to live out a bit away from the hustle of everything. A nice view, fall leaves, have 4 children ranging from 2-14 so definitely a decent neighborhood & schools is a must. I know what you mean as far as the schools go. Florida has bad schools, the one they're in now actually is a pretty good one. I heard a few years back some teachers from Virginia were sent down here to help train our teachers & administration better, what does that tell you! It's really hard to decide where to go when you've been in one place for so long & want to make sure we don't get into a bad neighborhood. I will be flying to Boston in a few months to visit my brother & am hoping to be able to drive into NY to look into the areas. Anyone know of construction/painting job websites, etc where my husband can send a resume to? Thanks for all the help
Hello CCA1965,

All separate thoughts listed below.

#1) I had to get-out my map for Florida/Rockledge; okay Cocoa & Merritt Island general area. I lived in the Casselberry/Longwood (Orlando) area many years ago.

#2) I am going to gather several types of information for you and post it later in another (not this) Post.

#3) For your future reference, when I say Metro Syracuse or Metro Rochester, what I mean is the main city plus all that city's adjacent suburbs/towns. Sometimes I say countryside suburbs and what I mean by that is towns that are a few miles away (do not touch the suburbs that are real-close to the main city) from the Metro City area. Examples for Metro Syracuse-out in the countryside suburbs would be towns like=Central Square, Skaneatles, Marcellus, Cazenovia, Phoenix, Lafayette=towns that are quite close to Metro Syracuse but don't quite TOUCH the Metro area yet>>there's open land countryside before you reach the built-up/developed Metro area.

#4) The only in-depth info I can give you would be about Metro Syracuse plus "SOME" general info about the surrounding counties/towns; some general info about Utica/Rome, Oswego, Fulton, Pulaski, Auburn, Cortland, Sylvan Beach, a little about Canastota. Sean is the expert/knows the most info about: Oneida, Oneida Castle, Sherrill, Verona, Vernon, Wampsville, Canastota and info about Utica/Rome.

#5) For SPECIFIC IN-DEPTH information about Rochester and Capital District Cities, you can place your questions about those cities on their Forums>> Rochester Forum and Capital District Cities/(Albany et al.) Forum. I have SOME general info about those 2 cities. All 3 Metro Cities (Rochester, Syracuse, Capital District) have good quality-of-life and are good places to raise a family.

#6) The Capital District Cities(Albany et al.) have a little higher cost-of-living than Metro Syracuse.

#7) Just because I'm telling you about Metro Syracuse, does not mean that I'm telling you to definitely-move-TO Syracuse. I suggested that Rochester & Capital District Cities(Albany et al.) & Syracuse would probably be the best opportunities FOR YOUR HUSBAND to find employment; you-yourself should be able to find office work pretty quickly at any of those 3 Metro Cities.

#8) Thank you for mentioning a rent price range that you might be able to afford; that will help me give you more-specific info.

#9) You said that your family has one car. That may mean that you will have to live in the (decent) close-to-Syracuse SUBURBS in order to use our CENTRO public bus system, in order for you AND your husband to have transportation to your places of employment.

#10) Good SUBURBAN Syr. neighborhoods and schools for you to consider renting a house-in are: 95% of Liverpool suburb, 80% of the Baldwinsville area, parts of Clay, 95% of Cicero suburb, 95% of Brewerton suburb, the Pitcher Hill & Allen Road areas of North Syracuse, the Fremont Heights & Fremont Hills/Erie Village=(seldom any rentals) areas of East Syracuse suburb, Minoa, 100% of Fayetteville & Manlius, 95% of Chittenango, most of Cazenovia, Jamesville, Pompey, Skaneatles, most of Onondaga Hill, 95% of Marcellus suburb, much of Fairmount, 95% of Camillus suburb. Those are enough places to start with I guess. ?Questions?=ask me here or in a private message.

That's it for today. Watch for my future info post.

grdnrman

Old 10-15-2011, 04:06 PM

Default Unemployment Rates & Rental Homes

Hello CCA1965 & Husband,

This is the only additional information I have for you at this time until you ask more questions.

Here are some unemployment rates that you may find of interest.

Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville-Florida Unemployment Rate
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Syracuse-New York Unemployment Rate

Florida Unemployment Rate

New York State Unemployment Rate

Single Family Rental Homes are VERY-very difficult to find. Sometimes any rental homes available are well beyond the rent price we can afford. Sometimes the homes are IN the city, which you want to avoid. Etc.

I searched EVERY township, village, suburb, countryside location on THIS ONE Internet Site for DECENT rental homes in your price range; 4 bdrm homes in your price range are also very difficult to find. I only found these 2 rental homes available OUTSIDE Syracuse city; you said you don't want a city location and I agree with you about that for YOUR situation. Realtors sometimes have additional rental homes available if YOU check with them when you actually need to rent.

Typical examples of Suburban Syracuse rental homes>>>

#1) Bayberry neighborhood-Liverpool NY. Liverpool good schools.
http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...61862&AgentID=

#2) Shoppingtown Mall neighborhood-Dewitt NY. Jamesville-Dewitt excellent schools.
http://www.syr.interealty.com/propse...52294&AgentID=

When or if it comes time to buy a new build home in the Suburbs of Syracuse, here are a couple examples of homes/developments available for you to consider.

New homes to buy>>>

Wallington Meadows-Cicero NY.
http://www.ryanhomes.com/community/n...eadows/belford

Waterhouse Landing-Liverpool NY.
http://www.ryanhomes.com/community/n...-landing/savoy

All of the homes constructed by this builder have FULL basements/lower level which can be finished into: a game room, another bedroom, another bathroom, utility & storage space.

Well, that completes the information that I have for you at this time. Feel free to ask me additional questions anytime in the future. Good luck to you, your husband, and children as you consider your future plans.

Sincerely, ....... grdnrman

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 05:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York