Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 12:20 AM

117 posts, read 244,893 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a senior in a high school in Quebec. Over here, we only have 3 years of high school as opposed to 4 in the US (schools here end after 11th grade and we do not have 12th grade).
Since I was born in the US (in New York to be exact), I was told that if I go to an university in the US, particularly in the state I was born in, I will pay half price for applying for college, or is it that same for everyone? So if I plan on going to a university in New York state, will I be able to pay half price, as opposed to other states where I will have to pay full prices?
Thanks for your help!

ALSO: Is a Quebec student permitted to go directly to a university in New York without going to CEGEP (a community college Quebec students go to after high school and before university) and without taking 12th grade? This is what I plan on doing, and I want to make sure it is fine.
Thanks once again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 07:10 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,102 times
Hello,

Sorry, I do not know about the CEGEP portion of your question. But I can tell you that in order to get 'reduced' tuition at NY State run colleges (SUNY system) you must be a current NY resident, for at least 12 months prior to the application. Being born in NY does not qualify you for tuition breaks. I would definitely recommend checking directly with the schools you are interested in - perhaps they have financial aid available for international students, which could work in your favor. Good luck!

Old 10-30-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
Hello,

Sorry, I do not know about the CEGEP portion of your question. But I can tell you that in order to get 'reduced' tuition at NY State run colleges (SUNY system) you must be a current NY resident, for at least 12 months prior to the application. Being born in NY does not qualify you for tuition breaks. I would definitely recommend checking directly with the schools you are interested in - perhaps they have financial aid available for international students, which could work in your favor. Good luck!
Yeah CEGEP isn't well known by others, so it's okay!
And thank you for your advice!
I'll be sure to do that

Old 10-30-2011, 12:13 PM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy345 View Post
Yeah CEGEP isn't well known by others, so it's okay!
And thank you for your advice!
I'll be sure to do that
Dawson is the only CEGEP I know about due to sports. I didn't know that Quebec only has 3 years. I know that Ontario has the 13th grade option, if I'm not mistaken.

daydreamin is right about looking into aid and scholarships for international students.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Dawson is the only CEGEP I know about due to sports. I didn't know that Quebec only has 3 years. I know that Ontario has the 13th grade option, if I'm not mistaken.

daydreamin is right about looking into aid and scholarships for international students.
Yes! Quebec high schools only last for 3 years, and Ontario used to have 13 years as opposed to 12, but I'm not sure if it is something optional at the moment.
And I was thinking of contacting SUNY Genseo later on today and to see what I can do in order to be accepted there. And I am trying my best to apply for a scholarship.
Thanks for your help

Old 10-30-2011, 02:28 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
http://www.geneseo.edu/webfm_send/4592

Looks like one of the scholarships is for Canadian students.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:25 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy345 View Post
Yes! Quebec high schools only last for 3 years, and Ontario used to have 13 years as opposed to 12, but I'm not sure if it is something optional at the moment.
And I was thinking of contacting SUNY Genseo later on today and to see what I can do in order to be accepted there. And I am trying my best to apply for a scholarship.
Thanks for your help
Quebec high school actually lasts five years: secondary 1 through 5. This is the equivalent of grades seven through eleven in the rest of North America.

Then you have CEGEP, which lasts two years if you are going to university and is basically a university "prep" college, or three years if you are just going to CEGEP and learning a trade there.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Quebec high school actually lasts five years: secondary 1 through 5. This is the equivalent of grades seven through eleven in the rest of North America.

Then you have CEGEP, which lasts two years if you are going to university and is basically a university "prep" college, or three years if you are just going to CEGEP and learning a trade there.
Well that's true, but since I go to an English school within Quebec, 9-11th grade are called high school and 7-8th grade are called junior high.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:35 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
You are looking for an "in-state" tuition. If you want an "in state tuition" in the SUNY system, you have to live in NY State. just being born here won't work. To get that, you need to live in the state 1 years. Coming from a Quebec HS, you definitely will raise a red flag as why you went to HS there and are trying to claim NY residency....... plus, I imagine you live w/parents? You will need to look up the FAFSA forms -- that is how most schools evaluate financial aid beyond tuition; many expect it as a condition of application, since NY residents get what is called the TAP award based on the parental income. This FAFSA ( Federal Student Aid) form is done by virtually every kid I know (we did it for our children) -- if you are shelling all out 100% payment in cash, I guess maybe they wouldn't care a bit. All SUNY schools take foreign students, but I do not know any where they pay the in-state tuition. Most private schools just ask one price for a tuition; they still want a state resident to provide a FAFSA..

Old 11-01-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
You are looking for an "in-state" tuition. If you want an "in state tuition" in the SUNY system, you have to live in NY State. just being born here won't work. To get that, you need to live in the state 1 years. Coming from a Quebec HS, you definitely will raise a red flag as why you went to HS there and are trying to claim NY residency....... plus, I imagine you live w/parents? You will need to look up the FAFSA forms -- that is how most schools evaluate financial aid beyond tuition; many expect it as a condition of application, since NY residents get what is called the TAP award based on the parental income. This FAFSA ( Federal Student Aid) form is done by virtually every kid I know (we did it for our children) -- if you are shelling all out 100% payment in cash, I guess maybe they wouldn't care a bit. All SUNY schools take foreign students, but I do not know any where they pay the in-state tuition. Most private schools just ask one price for a tuition; they still want a state resident to provide a FAFSA..
Alright thank you, I'll look into that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: