Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:11 AM

744 posts, read 1,768,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
Tall buildings. Crowded sidewalks. Big deal.
Exactly, when in college it was always obvious that the most parochial of all the students were those from NYC. Before college most had never ventured more than 10 miles from their place of birth. The least parochial seemed to be those from California or from near the Canadian border. IMO they were the ones that had the best grasp of the wider world and the opportunities it offers.

pa·ro·chi·al

   /pəˈroʊkiəl/ [puh-roh-kee-uhl] adjective

1. of or pertaining to a parish or parishes.

2. of or pertaining to parochial schools or the education they provide.

3. very limited or narrow in scope or outlook; provincial: parochial views; a parochial mentality.

Last edited by donbuy; 11-22-2011 at 07:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 07:27 AM

956 posts, read 1,207,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
I'm from Chautauqua County and had been to Europe three times and every state east of the Mississippi before visiting NYC for the first time...just never saw the point. Tall buildings. Crowded sidewalks. Big deal.
Hollywood drives New York City. Young people see movies and TV shows filmed in in NYC and want the experience too. For most it's usually a shock to what the real NYC gives you; working long hours, paying through the roof in rent for a small closet, zero space, etc.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:07 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
I moved to LI when I was 38 (native Manhattanite) and lived there for 27 years. Upstaters never been to NYC? I have know "Islanders" who have been been to NYC; 30 miles away! Most were terrified of the "big, bad City". I had even told them them that they don't know what they are missing, but I could not change their minds.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:09 PM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,478 times
Exactly which part of NYC are you talking about? I live just west of Binghamton, but delivered to the 5 boroughs for years. I have met people from NYC that have never been out of their own borough, and others that acted as if Manhattan was the only borough in NYC. The majority of people I dealt with in the city knew more about NE New Jersey than their own state.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:34 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
never made a family trip there, although I did go a twice for other reasons .... was a pretty good haul though, we were more apt to go over into Canada on a family vacation and it was easier to get to Toronto

heck, pittsburgh was closer as well and I had an uncle who lived outside of that city, so we would visit there as well

i'd say it was a pretty fair mix in my area if people made the trek or not - although most people I knew would rather make the trek south than east

i went to the city a fair amount in college as I had a buddy who was living there - decent, but definitely not for me ....... i'd spend as much in a night as i would in a week in philly

Old 08-27-2012, 12:52 PM

240 posts, read 557,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post

Hollywood drives New York City. Young people see movies and TV shows filmed in in NYC and want the experience too. For most it's usually a shock to what the real NYC gives you; working long hours, paying through the roof in rent for a small closet, zero space, etc.
That's funny because a lot of movies that take place in NYC are filmed in other cities. For example, a movie is being wrapped up right now in Philly that takes place in NYC. They brought in NYC cabs and NYPD cars and everything. Ridiculous.

Also, I'm from upstate and aside from being in Penn Station en route between Philly and Rochester, I've never been to NYC. I guess I want to go, but it isn't a priority. Like someone else said, it's expensive and I would rather go to Europe. Debate as you wish, but I would say I can do nearly as much if not more in Philly that I could in NYC and Philly is less crowded. And if it is ethnic culture you seek, Upstate has plenty of that.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:09 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,447 times
I've lived on Long Island and you'd be surprised how many people RARELY go into NYC from there.

You have those who work and party their from the Island and those who hardly ever go in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York