Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 01:07 PM

396 posts, read 1,033,215 times

Advertisements

I am looking at New York State as a possible place to buy something or to move. I like the looks of Hoosick Falls and Little Falls because of the ornate detail of the houses, the villiage aspect and to be honest, the prices. I live in Fairfield County, and I am getting really sick of the cost of living here, coupled with the frantic pace, and the lack of spirit for all that you get in a small town community.
I am an open thinker, and I like diversity, so the town I would like to be in is small and with a lot of creative types with different levels of education.
I want to feel safe, and I want the schools to have a good reputation for my child. Education is very important to me.
I like the idea of a town that is on its way up, but still has great architecture, nature, and affordable real estate prices.
I also like a town that celebrates the arts, music, and history via festivals.
Thanks so much for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 01:40 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,239,832 times
Your naming almost every small college town in NYS, and a few other places as well. The best thing to do may be to take a trip around to some of them and see what feels comfortable.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:34 PM

254 posts, read 1,140,488 times
Default other areas better

I wouldnt say Hoosick Falls matches your interest. Though the little village does look quaint on first glance. Not sure how it stays looking so cute because I would say it is mostly lower-middle class on the average There is a slower pace there in the way of education and diversity. There are alot of country crooners. Not bad, just a fact. Dont know much about Little Falls, that may be a tad bit better. I would suggest Saratoga. If that is too expensive you could try next door in Ballston Spa which is still pretty cheap. if Eastern NY is where you want to be. Even Ballston has alot of the ornate Victorian style houses and is cute on its own. Saratoga area is very artsy, has diversity and education is much much better there. The area is touristy but they handle it well and there is still a very local feel to the place. You would be close to major roads and could get up to the mountains real easy as well as be in Albany in no time at all.
Oh, just remembered Schuylerville if you want to be just a tad bit further out. That is an up & coming little village on the Hudson. VERY charming. The downtown used to be run down but is going through a great comeback with some very quaint shops that are usable and not just antiques. check it out. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York