Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:34 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,661 times

Advertisements

If you're against drilling for natural gas by the method of fracking in the Marcellus shale region of upstate NY, Tell Governor Cuomo the SGEIS is Fatally Flawed! The EPA have just did a study that concluded fracking contributed to the chemical poisoning of water in the state of Wyoming. This should further help you decide if you want to support fracking in your area. If you don't, show it by submitting the form letter (or your own personal comments) at the link below:

Catskill Citizens for Safe Energy

From the link: "On what was supposed to be the last day of public comment hearings on the Draft SGEIS, the Cuomo Administration's plan for fracking New York, it was announced that the deadline for submitting written comments on the Draft will be extended by another month, until January 11th. Let the DEC and Governor Cuomo know that fracking presents an unacceptable risk, and that the fatally flawed Draft should be withdrawn."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 09:42 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
I'm from downstate -- can I still use this form as I am not from the Catskills?

Old 12-09-2011, 04:58 PM

222 posts, read 714,590 times
Of course, you can. It's a statewide issue.

Galee

Old 12-09-2011, 06:19 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'm from downstate -- can I still use this form as I am not from the Catskills?
You can and should. Guess where 'downstate' water comes from? Right in one of the regions targeted for HVHF.

And if you want to go a step further, call Cuomo's office ((518) 474-8390) and express your opposition to allowing HVHF in NY. Mondays are the best day to call.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:34 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,057 times
Cool video explaining the problems with fracking if you're too lazy to watch Gasland:

Animation of Hydraulic Fracturing explained by children.WMV - YouTube

Old 12-10-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
You can and should. Guess where 'downstate' water comes from? Right in one of the regions targeted for HVHF.

And if you want to go a step further, call Cuomo's office ((518) 474-8390) and express your opposition to allowing HVHF in NY. Mondays are the best day to call.
LI's water supply comes from an aquifer under LI, not from upstate. We are unique in that respect. LIers against fracking have nothing to gain (from an end user perspective) other than preservation of a beautiful portion of our state. That written, I'll be sharing the contact info with like-minded friends and neighbors.

Long Island Water Conference

Old 12-11-2011, 12:30 AM

914 posts, read 2,918,132 times
I'm surprised there's not a bigger outcry from influential downstate people, seeing as so many have second homes in the areas targeted for fracking. I'm sure that's not what they had in mind when they bought.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:21 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
I'm surprised there's not a bigger outcry from influential downstate people, seeing as so many have second homes in the areas targeted for fracking. I'm sure that's not what they had in mind when they bought.

Yeah, can you imagine what fracking would do to the real estate market? Just the threat of it has people balking about buying there. Who would want to buy there? No fracking way! If I was a realtor I'd be right there with the home owners of the area petitioning against gas drilling.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:18 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,488 times
Is NY or the region where they are fracking receiving any kind of royalties from this? I hope so.

Either way, I don't really see the problem with it. If it posed a risk to the water supply, I don't see the NYDEC approving it. It looks pretty safe to me. Any video trying to show otherwise is using "if this" "if that" and other hypothetical things that could go wrong to try to scare people into a frenzy. I think if we are blessed with this huge amount (trillions of cubic ft) of gas, we should tap this resource. People need electricity, thus we need the gas for power plants, gas to heat their homes, buildings, water and cook their food...or should we just rely on other regions to provide for our energy needs?

Old 12-11-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
I had started looking into a 2nd home in NYS 9-10 years ago. A man whose business neighbored DH's office got to speaking with DH and I. We were looking around Pulaski or somewhere reasonably close to the Beaverkill. It's been awhile, so I can't quote the man. The conversation centered around properties in the latter area. He told us to be cautious where we bought because gas companies were going around buying mineral rights from property owners. He warned us to make sure that if we bought, we owned the mineral rights, and that any adjacent property mineral rights were not held by energy concerns.

The writing was already on the wall. We decided to steer clear and bought in VT.

Here on LI, I haven't heard a lot of noise about fracking. A local paper did a decent piece on it, but the news programs don't have quite an interest in it. With respect to the entire state, this is something we all need to be aware of.

The SGEIS process is a joke -- the fox is reporting back to the farmer that the henhouse is safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York