Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:49 PM

56 posts, read 130,929 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out what part of New York would be best for my husband and I right now. I am from Long Island originally and want to move back to NY. My husband and I will be moving into my cousins house in Levittown, Long Island until we get situated and save up money, then we plan to move out on our own and rent. Rent on the island is extremely expensive, as you all know, so we're looking for a place that will suit us upstate.

About Us:
Early 20s college kids
Not interested in clubs
Liberal
Work at restaurants
Husband is obsessed with fishing

What's Important:
SAFE area where I won't be worried about crime
Community college nearby
Restaurants and shops nearby for work
Not far from grocery markets
Rent no more than $850.00 a month
Lakes nearby for my husband to fish.

P.S- I really like the looks of Tonawanda but I'm not familiar with the area.
Does it fit my criteria? Would my $850.00 maximum rent be sufficient there?

I hope you can help me. Thank you in advanced.
-Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 11:11 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Tonawanda could fit, but Ithaca would be more like your criteria. Perhaps a suburb of the Upstate metro areas too. You may like places like Baldwinsville, Camillus, Lancaster, Brockport, Whitesboro, Port Dickinson, Ballston Spa, Scotia, Webster and Horseheads, among others.

I know with say Camillus, you have plenty of restaurants in the area and close by, Onondaga CC is in the next town, 9 Mile Creek is a place people go to fish and is in the area. It is safe and has nice apartments in your rent range.

A couple of smaller areas that could work are Watertown and Plattsburgh. I know that there is plenty of fishing in the Watertown area and Arsenal Street has plenty of shopping and restaurants. It is an affordable area too.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:45 AM

56 posts, read 130,929 times

Thank you so much, I will check those areas out now

Also I noticed Vermont, Massachusetts, and Connecticut all have at least 8.00 an hour minimum wage, are there any towns that fit my criteria that are close enough to any big cities in those three states that I would be able to commute to in no more than 30 minutes?

Old 12-10-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingthe516 View Post

Thank you so much, I will check those areas out now

Also I noticed Vermont, Massachusetts, and Connecticut all have at least 8.00 an hour minimum wage, are there any towns that fit my criteria that are close enough to any big cities in those three states that I would be able to commute to in no more than 30 minutes?
Perhaps anything in the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area east of the Hudson River, but you probably would be fine with any area in NY. Here are some examples: Central New York Jobs in Restaurant/Food Service

Here's a great website for your search: Central New York Jobs

Here are a couple of good websites for an apartment search: Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps

Old 12-10-2011, 12:11 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times
You need to get way far away from minimum wage up here. Even 2 people working 40 hours at 8 bucks ain't gonna get you far here.

As far as fishing Upstate does have a few places to fish and if he does C&R he'll have fun. But if he likes to eat them trouble may lie ahead. The state advises eating of fish from NY between never and rarely. Some NY waters you can eat from once a Month but is it worth the risk?? When a body of water listed as NEVER is just up the road?? But he could still have fun catching them. Generally anything East of Utica, going both North and South, will be some good fishing. Some cricks like the West Canada and most any crick ending in the word Kill are World Class!!!.

http://www.health.ny.gov/environment...oklet_2011.pdf

Old 12-10-2011, 12:16 PM

Also, what specific type of work are you looking for?

Old 12-10-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
You need to get way far away from minimum wage up here. Even 2 people working 40 hours at 8 bucks ain't gonna get you far here.

As far as fishing Upstate does have a few places to fish and if he does C&R he'll have fun. But if he likes to eat them trouble may lie ahead. The state advises eating of fish from NY between never and rarely. Some NY waters you can eat from once a Month but is it worth the risk?? When a body of water listed as NEVER is just up the road?? But he could still have fun catching them. Generally anything East of Utica, going both North and South, will be some good fishing. Some cricks like the West Canada and most any crick ending in the word Kill are World Class!!!.

http://www.health.ny.gov/environment...oklet_2011.pdf
For the first part, it depends on where you are in Upstate, as it is possible to find apartments for 700 a month that are fine, if not for a bit less.

Also, I believe that the booklet you posted is an advisory booklet and left a lot of fishing spots out.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:36 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times
I know some people that are doing it now, maybe not quite as low as 8 but not far, maybe 10-12. They get by but its a tough way to live thats for sure. If I was gonna try and get by on that kinda scratch Upstate would not be a option.

I love to fish but don't eat them so I don't worry. I was taught just never eat a fish from NY and you'll never have a problem.

Depends what kinda fishing he likes too. East of Utica for the most part is man vs fish. Depending which part he can walk to a stream people in other states would kill for. West of Utica its mostly jumping in a 30K boat and drinking beer all day and tell the ole lady you been "fishing".

Old 12-10-2011, 12:37 PM

More fishing information: Fishing - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Old 12-10-2011, 12:56 PM

There is plenty of good fishing up North and in some select places around Syracuse. Salmon River Fishing with the bald guide in the famous Salmon River and Oswego River, a trout fisherman's dream.

Fishing - Nine Mile Creek Conservation Council

Fishing The Seneca River

Tully Lake (Cortland and Onondaga) - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Welcome to Sandy Pond, NY - Enjoy sandy beaches & great swimming, fishing, boating & more.
North and South Sandy Ponds - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York