Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 05:03 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
The crime rate is uncomfortably high for families in the both Rochester and Syracuse (and for that matter, Buffalo) but that is only if you are talking about the city limits. The suburbs of all three cities are extremely safe; in fact, every single upstate metro has at least one suburban town in the 50 safest towns in the nation list.
What is the nature of the crime? Is it organized crime? Street gangs? Desperate, out-of-work people turning to crime? All of the above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 05:16 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
well, no it's not the mafia. lol. There is some gang acitivity in Rochester's "eastern crescent" in the Norhteast area of the city. And the rest of it is just run of the mill lowlifes killing lowlifes. Crime in the city of Rochester is mostly in the Northeast and Southwest areas of the city. The southeastern quadrant is a very nice area of the city with well maintained turn of the century homes and mansions, parks, and a very nice neighborhood/city feel. The NW area of the city is a bit grittier, but still not too crime ridden. Property values aren't very high there mostly because of Kodak Park. In the far northwest of the city is the much nicer Charlotte (shar-lot) neighborhood right on Lake Ontario . There's a lot of development going on and planned in the future there; it's an all day hotspot from May to September. The city schools aren't very good but many of the suburbans ones are excellent. I was born and raised in the suburb of Greece and that is probably where I will move too next summer when we return to Rochester after over a decade in NC.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
well, no it's not the mafia. lol.
Too bad. I actually like mafia neighborhoods. They're the safest neighborhoods in the city.

Seriously though, thanks for the info.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:33 PM

944 posts, read 3,847,592 times
Mafia hoods are safe. Try living in Hoboken, NJ. Very, very little crime.

The violence is Rochester is predictable and location specific. Don't worry about it, you won't be in those neighborhoods, at those times, doing those things...

Old 09-12-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
Mafia hoods are safe.
They really are. I have friends in family who lived in Boston and Chicago. Mafia neighbors are the best neighbors to have, because they live by this eternal truth: Don't #*@ where you eat.

If only the gangbangers could learn that lesson.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:03 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,425,253 times
Thanks Southside Shrek! If you are going to come up here, you might way to come mid-October when the Fall color is at its peak.

i'minformed and Lax are right about crime in Upstate cities. In the city of Syracuse, the neighborhood you should stay away from is the Southside, its located between Downtown and the Valley.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Lax

58 posts, read 452,033 times
You won't find mafia neighborhoods in upstate cities anymore (or in many other places). Most mafia families in these cities are in prison.
The newer gangs that have taken over have destroyed what were once nice streets. Many of these homes were once beautiful and now they are in shambles. Its a shame.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:37 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,354 times
I researched crime closely before leaving NYC to Syracuse. Statistically Syracuse is a bit higher, just a bit. There are some inner city neighborhoods that should absolutely be policed in a more effective fashion to reduce there crime numbers like NYC did. However I will tell you this, I shop in the malls, I go to events, I am all over this area and I never feel threatened or intimidated by any type of crowd. People are freindly and trusting. We were crime victims several time on Long Island, nothing violent but lots of petty stuff. I don't see any problem up here with crime. Also the suburbs have outstanding records concerning crime. There are some sites that have specifics. I think I used one called Sperling.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:09 PM

42 posts, read 139,051 times
Bellafinzi -

Beautiful pictures.
That grass looks like the real thing. I live in S. Florida. There is NO real grass, just crabgrass. Yuk!
Longing to walk barefoot in soft green grass again.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:37 AM
col col started this thread

131 posts, read 674,730 times
Smile Thank you all again

I appreciate your time and replies. I have learned alot. We currently live in Staten island nyc and although the nicest borough of the NYC 5 its still expensive. IF not for our condo we would be priced out. Great culture expecially if you like art and colonial history plus highestpark to people ratio in NY/NJ...but alas again too expensive.

Anybody no about plattsburgh or other areas. Again thanks everyone for your time.

Col
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York