Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 07:40 PM

35 posts, read 93,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
Mainly at night...but I wouldn't suggest spending significant amounts of time on those streets during the day either.

--Not trying to scare you, just don't want to give you a heads up on The City of Poughkeepsie. There are nice places too! Like I said previously, close to Vassar College and toward Arlington. The CIA is also awesome!
well any comment/advice is appreciated and much needed!

on another note, what are the best/affordable phone and internet bundles up there(we had century link but they dont cover NY apparently)? i have a part time job that requires me to translate using a landline.

Also, how far is the beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 09:38 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,197 times
Verizon Fios is available here....take that up....HD TV, internet, and unlimited phone for $79.99 a month.

Closest NICE beach is the South Shore of Long Island (2 hours from Poughkeepsie) or the Jersey Shore (2.5 hours from Poughkeepsie). The Long Island Sound (Connecticut Shoreline, Westchester Shoreline, and the North Shore of Long Island) isn't particularly nice.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:08 PM

also down here theres walmarts, food-lions etc... I noticed there were no "big" stores in town
what are some decent affordable grocery shops in the area??

Old 12-31-2011, 04:53 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?Julian View Post
also down here theres walmarts, food-lions etc... I noticed there were no "big" stores in town
what are some decent affordable grocery shops in the area??
There is TONS of shopping on Route 9 in Poughkeepsie, Wappingers, and Fishkill. The closest Walmart is in Fishkill, about 10 miles south of Poughkeepsie. Target is near the Poughkeepsie Galleria, about 5 miles south of Poughkeepsie on Route 9. Adams Fairacre Farms -- the BEST grocery store in the Hudson Valley, is on Route 44, just outside of Poughkeepsie.

For health food, there is Mother Earth's on Route 9. For great pizza, give Antonella's a shot on Route 9 in Fishkill - NYC and its suburbs have some of the best pizza in the US -

Old 12-31-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
NYC and its suburbs have some of the best pizza in the US -

cool info... and yes, that I am very aware of

Old 01-04-2012, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 7,274 times
My friend and I moved to PK in March 2011. I am positive you will love the CIA. Congratulations that is a great opportunity and a beautiful campus.

I moved from Maryland and was excited to get out of the state. We got a beautifully renovated apartment right on main street in the city of Poughkeepsie. While I loved the apartment and several restaurants on main st, the crime in this area is outrageous. Please for your own safety avoid main st apartment buildings at all costs. I'm not being dramatic, we saw two shootings right outside our window and were 1 block from two others. Not to mention car break-ins and robberies which were prevalent in this area.

There are several nice apartment complexes north of the CIA on route 9 in Hyde park. And they are affordable from what I hear.

Good luck with the adjustment to cost of living. I ended up working constantly to keep up there (6 days a week, mostly 12 hr shifts). Their season starts to pick up around the end of march so that will help you.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefairytale View Post
Good luck with the adjustment to cost of living. I ended up working constantly to keep up there (6 days a week, mostly 12 hr shifts). Their season starts to pick up around the end of march so that will help you.
Thanks for ur opinions!
what do you mean by "their season"? the businesses?

and what do you guys think of the montgomery/academy street zone for an apartment?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Mainly at night...but I wouldn't suggest spending significant amounts of time on those streets during the day either.

--Not trying to scare you, just don't want to give you a heads up on The City of Poughkeepsie. There are nice places too! Like I said previously, close to Vassar College and toward Arlington. The CIA is also awesome!

I was born in POK and still have family there so I visit often. I found that Main Street along 44/55 is not a place you want to be. Further in by the water and station is really nice though. I've been to Shadows several times and it's a great spot. I have family that live near the college and Vassar Hospital. That area is more suburban. But there's lots of places along RT 9 to dine and do stuff. As for rent, it's not cheap. My niece lives over in Wappingers and she pays about $1800 (give or take) for a 2 bedroom apt. But that's in a complex, not private home. I have to say to the OP, I'm very JEALOUS that you're going to the CIA. I have dreamed of going there but I simply can't afford it.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:07 AM

59 posts, read 164,619 times
try looking for an apartment in Hyde Park first. It is actually more convenient to CIA and the loop bus runs right down route 9

oh yeah...and a LOT safer too!

Old 01-05-2012, 11:12 AM

59 posts, read 164,619 times
Quote:
There is TONS of shopping on Route 9 in Poughkeepsie, Wappingers, and Fishkill. The closest Walmart is in Fishkill, about 10 miles south of Poughkeepsie. Target is near the Poughkeepsie Galleria, about 5 miles south of Poughkeepsie on Route 9. Adams Fairacre Farms -- the BEST grocery store in the Hudson Valley, is on Route 44, just outside of Poughkeepsie.

For health food, there is Mother Earth's on Route 9. For great pizza, give Antonella's a shot on Route 9 in Fishkill - NYC and its suburbs have some of the best pizza in the US -
Antonella's has a location in Hyde Park too. About 5min north of CIA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York