Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 02:15 PM

52 posts, read 567,343 times

Advertisements

Nyack schools aren't terrible but aren't the best of the county. If I were going to live in Nyack, I would keep my search within Upper Nyack. Grandview is also lovely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 11:08 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
Could someone help me out with my questions? I am looking for a neighborhood to move into with my family and the school district is my number one priority. I have heard mostly good things about the Nanuet Union Free School District. However, when I looked at some of the district’s basic financial details at Public School Review, I saw that the district’s expenses exceeded revenues by around $13 million. Here is the website that I viewed:

http://www.publicschoolreview.com/sc...chool_id/56070

Is there something wrong with the data of Public School Review or is there something going on at Nanuet Union Free School District? Could someone please explain to me.

What makes me curious is the fact that if I look at similar data from other highly-regarded New York state school districts such as Chappaqua, Bronxville and Syosset, expenses closely match revenues (ie, exceed revenues by a small amount for the most part). Why is Nanuet’s deficit unusually large and how does it plan to bridge the gap?

My concern is that over the long term, Nanuet Union Free School District could be forced to cut its programs – the same programs that made it one of the best districts in the state – because of financial difficulties.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 09-30-2008 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: Changed fonts.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:21 AM

45 posts, read 152,883 times
WE looked at a house in Montebello and were told it is the Ramapo school district - my understanding is that this is not the EAst Ramapo district mentioned in earlier threads. Is MOntebello a good area? We are not familar with the area but it looks lovely. Was told it is close to shopping and the train station in Suffern. My kids will finish school in NYC but we still want to buy in a good school district for resale value if the need comes up. This will initially start as a second home and then a place to retire. All homes are close to $1m. Any comments are most welcome!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:08 AM

110 posts, read 496,460 times
Some other school districts to consider are: Pearl River, So Orangetown, Clarkstown South
To answer the other question about Montebello: yes it is Ramapo school district Not East Ramapo
It is close to shopping and the train It is a lovely area with many beautiful homes You should drive through it at dif times of the day, to get a feel for the area Good luck

Old 12-11-2008, 12:29 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,199 times
Well it looks like our movie is going to next year at some point in time. I am not so sure know about clarkstown....I def dont want to raise my kids in a "get a beemer for your kid at 16 enviroment". OTH, I def dont want spring valley or ramapo either.

So pearl river and S. Orangetown are okay?

We will need to be near the train station in Mahwah to commute....any towns that fit the bill? How is the real estate now....any newer homes in the desirable areas?

Old 12-11-2008, 01:43 PM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Info. on Rockland County school districts here:https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=Rockland (broken link)

Old 12-12-2008, 05:00 AM

Pearl River has its own train station It is the stop before Montvale
Also, still many homes available Good Luck

Old 12-12-2008, 10:17 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,199 times
How are the pearl river schools though, newer construction is available...we are not interested in raised ranches...and would consider a lease option purchase to get a feel of area first. I will check on the train schedule..commute to the office isnt in NYC but rather to Jersey City...hence the reason for wanted to get to the NJ train.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:51 PM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
What about Suffern or Nanuet?

Old 12-13-2008, 05:15 AM

It is the Jerey transit that runs through Pearl River, Nanuet Spring Valley Suffern Check the schedule to see if this is a possibilty I put all three of my children through PR schools and all have gone on to college and very well prepared I feel our school system is very good but again you can check all this out on the web under NY school report cards etc Also there are many beautiful homes here and no they are not all hi ranches You need to really drive through the towns and side streets to actually see how unique each town is and you will see all the different homes, new& old colonials, hi ranches, splits, ranches I myself have a U shaped ranch and live in PR Hope this helped
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York