Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 11:15 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,209 times

Advertisements

SKIING.>>>Lots of people like to ski and snowmobile during the winter months. This year's snow deficit has made these sports activities less available.

Some of the larger Ski Resorts make their own Snow when the air temperatures are low enough to make that production successful. You can check with ski resorts to see if they have enough natural or man-made snow to ski at the current time.

Some of the ski areas that people may be familiar with are: Whiteface Mountain Ski Resort near Lake Placid-Wilmington NY, Gore Mountain Ski Resort near North Creek NY, Belleayre Mountain Ski Resort near Highmount NY, Ski Windham Resort near Windham NY, McCauley Mountain Ski Resort near Old Forge NY, Greek Peak Ski Resort near Cortland NY, Snow Ridge Ski Resort near Turin NY, Holiday Valley Mountain Ski Resort AND Holimont Ski Area both near Ellicottville NY, Bristol Mountain Ski Resort near Bristol Center-Canandaigua NY. There are many other Ski Resorts all across New York State.

Click on the internet Link Lines below to see a list of NYS ski resorts and to connect to those ski resort websites.
www.skiernet.com/ski_ny.html

SNOWMOBILING.>>>There are numerous locations across New York State where there are Snowmobile Trails and Wilderness areas where snowmobilers enjoy their sport. Often these trails follow large electricity power-line routes and wintertime non-plowed rural dirt roads.. A very popular snowmobile area is the wilderness area of the Tug Hill Plateau especially near Barnes Corners, Montague, Osceola, Redfield, & Constableville-NY region.

Every year there are Snowmobile Races held at Boonville-NY during their Boonville Snow Festival. Click on the Link Lines below to view information on the Snowmobile Races to be held this year on January 26-27-28-29, 2012 at the Boonville/Oneida County Fairgrounds location.
http://boonvillesnowfestival.com/
http://boonvillesnowfestival.com/Photos.htm (broken link)

I'm sure that New York State will receive a decent amount of snow this winter for people to participate in snow season sports. Enjoy!

grdnrman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 12:05 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
how are things in the ADK for snow? I want to take a weekend trip to Gore or Whiteface but don't want waste my time with fake snow which creates less than desirable conditions.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:21 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
how are things in the ADK for snow? I want to take a weekend trip to Gore or Whiteface but don't want waste my time with fake snow which creates less than desirable conditions.
I was up in Forestport (half hour south of Old Forge) for Xmas and there was about a foot on the ground then. No clue what the snow situation is right now though. Maybe look up local news stations for the areas you'd like to visit - if it's not apparent on their websites, even try shooting them an email

Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 AM

233 posts, read 753,319 times
Thanks for this post.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:05 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Here's a great website for "where's the snow?" style inquiries once you get used to the parameters (BIG hint: near the upper left change "snow water equivalent" to "snow depth"): NOHRSC Interactive Snow Information

Here is a link to the NYS ski resort association (did you know there are more ski areas in NYS than in any other state??) which also has ski reporting service: Welcome to I SKI NY

Old 04-12-2012, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,595 times
Default Occupancy rate for rental properties in Ellicottville

Thinking of buying a Fox RIdge condo to rent out but can't seem to get any info on whether the units rent every weekend in ski season or if they go unrented cause there are so many of them.
Any thoughts?

Old 04-14-2012, 01:26 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
For future reference, Old Forge has web cams that show photos several times a day. This shows how much snow there is from Mother Nature. I realize it doesn't cover all of ADK, but it's a start and 99 times out of 100 if Old Forge has snow, further north has more.

Web Cam Old Forge Beach | Snowmobile Trail Web Cam | Web Cam McCauley Ski Mountain | Web Cam Old Forge Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
SKIING.>>>

I'm sure that New York State will receive a decent amount of snow this winter for people to participate in snow season sports. Enjoy!

grdnrman
I sure hope you didn't bet any money this year! I was going to go to Old Forge a few days after St Patrick's Day, but the snow was gone what little they had. I got an email saying certain snow mobile trails were closed and all of them were closing early due to the weather.

When you can't count on snow in the ADK, what can you count on?

Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 AM

334 posts, read 1,102,514 times
Yeah, can't count on snow in the Catskills either--for years Belleayre has been open for skiing until the 1st or even 2nd weekend of April, even later than some of the Vermont ski areas, but this year they closed on March 24.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:24 PM

77 posts, read 89,995 times
Wanted to update this thread since it's from 2012. How is snowmobiling going in upstate NY? Looking into buying a place in Redfield NY on the snow trail. Does anyone know how the sport is doing? I heard that the lake effect helps the weather and the trails. Any input from anyone in the area is much appreciated.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:36 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcm1232 View Post
Wanted to update this thread since it's from 2012. How is snowmobiling going in upstate NY? Looking into buying a place in Redfield NY on the snow trail. Does anyone know how the sport is doing? I heard that the lake effect helps the weather and the trails. Any input from anyone in the area is much appreciated.
Snowmobiling is totally weather dependent. Some years it's great. Some years there is no season really. Lake effects hit or miss. Last year, winter never really came. Few years ago the trails were closed weeks early because of the lack of snow. Season hasn't begun yet - no snow really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York