Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 05:46 PM

5 posts, read 19,778 times

Advertisements

How close or far are the catholic churches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 07:11 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mywonderfullife View Post
How close or far are the catholic churches?
There are plenty of them due to the strong French/French Canadian influence in Northern NY. Diocese of Ogdensburg

Diocese of Ogdensburg

Old 02-05-2012, 03:30 AM

961 posts, read 2,503,564 times
....Just some additional random thoughts....The base has all newer, upgraded facilities...say..as compared to the 80's when I first went there(yes, I'm that old!). The winter cold/snow weather tends to get overexaggerrated by many. This winter season, the weather has been on the milder side(compared to many winters of the past). If you do a search on this site for Fort Drum, I think you'll find offbase housing to be the biggest issue. Start your online search asap. As compared to the surrounding areas near some military installations(from my own experience), I'll second the others in that there are no "really bad" areas in that area of upstate New York. Don't know how outdoor oriented you folks are, but the Adirondacks are just a short drive to the east. Not relevant to your needs, but I wish my son could reup/transfer to Ft Drum...but with the pending cuts in (mostly) combat jobs....not likely.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
....Just some additional random thoughts....The base has all newer, upgraded facilities...say..as compared to the 80's when I first went there(yes, I'm that old!). The winter cold/snow weather tends to get overexaggerrated by many. This winter season, the weather has been on the milder side(compared to many winters of the past). If you do a search on this site for Fort Drum, I think you'll find offbase housing to be the biggest issue. Start your online search asap. As compared to the surrounding areas near some military installations(from my own experience), I'll second the others in that there are no "really bad" areas in that area of upstate New York. Don't know how outdoor oriented you folks are, but the Adirondacks are just a short drive to the east. Not relevant to your needs, but I wish my son could reup/transfer to Ft Drum...but with the pending cuts in (mostly) combat jobs....not likely.
When I was in, it was said that if you want Fort Drum you can get it, because not too many people want it due to the reality/perception of the winter weather and the 10th Mountain Division is one of the most deployed units in the Army, if not US military. I've seen guys that were at Fort Drum for over a decade and it was their only duty station.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:56 AM

..That would have been a good plan for my son....11B/1ST ID/Afghan vet.....with the pending manpower cuts.....uncle is puttin' all the plans in place to cut tens of thousands of (mostly) combat mos troops. Upon their recent return to stateside...my son and his unit were informed that if they hope to stay in/reup/make E-5....they will have to accept ANY mos given to them, at any location. And while all mos's have their place..some of the mos's mentioned(keep in mind I was a tanker) are pretty...lame..by combat standards. Some that might be "doable"...say mechanic..are being snatched up as quick as they show up...as troops scramble to grab em'. If it would be open closer to his ETS, he would jump at the chance for a mechanic job/Ft Drum. Now where have I seen this scenario before...hmmm..post Nam....post Desert Storm....And to think 6-7 years ago when the economy was better/enlistments down/troops needed for the sandbox, "uncle" was giving waivers left and right..enlistment-reenlistment bonuses, etc......................

Old 03-26-2012, 11:43 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,626 times
For those moving to Watertown and not great snowdrivers I suggest looking in the towns of Brownville, Evans Mills, Black River stick close to the base but still close to Watertown. If you live further then 15 minutes from either you will feel out of the loop. Often times people move to Carthage, Lowville or Clayton and realize in the winter that a 30 minutes drive just turned into a 60 minute impossible never ending drive. Watertown is a nice place to live if you choose your neighborhood wisely. I generally tell everyone not to live off of Coffeen, Arsenal or State St. That is where you will find most of the drug houses, and punk kids. Tons and tons of bars in Watertown, so if you like to party that will not be hard to do. I lived there for 23 years, I left because I did not want to raise my children there. Not much for kids to do, no real future for them, not a lot of "quality" jobs. Watertown has come a long way since Drum expanded, but it still has a ways to go. The schools are all decent. I know some worry about Indian River School district which is where the majority of Philadelphia, Drum and Evans Mills goes to.

Good luck to all of you!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:47 AM

Brownsville may be far as well, but General Brown Schools are good. If you can find housing, towns like Panelists and LeRay would work.

In Watertown, during my time there, some streets off of State were suspect. As a whole, the city really isn't that bad in terms of crime. Streets off of and near Washington are nice. Historically, the Southern half below Arsenal is largely the nicer and more upscale part of town, while the Northern half is poorer and more working class/blue collar.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:16 PM

This has to have been the mildest winter the Watertown / Ft Drum area has experienced in some time. I didn't get up that way this winter, but the upstate forecasts include that area. Down our way...almost a "non winter" winter.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:07 PM

33 posts, read 79,939 times
My husband and I are getting ready to leave the Watertown area for Buffalo for his next assignment. We will have lived here three years by the time we move. My son attended Case middle school and is currently at Watertown High School. He is an honors student and has done very well, though I can't rate the Watertown school system overly positive or negative. I can say that they take bullying incidents very seriously and the very few that have happened here have been handled quickly and efficiently.
My husband just returned with 3 BCT from Afghanistan and all three brigades are now home which is creating a housing crunch. Apartment availability rates are somewhere around 1%. Houses are selling fast, which is really great news for us as ours is going on the market soon. I know some people that love the area, it has been okay for me. But I will say it is going through a sort of commerce growth. The cinema at the mall was recently expanded and there are new restaurants opening often i.e Olive Garden, Five guys etc...Sackets Harbor is a short drive away, around 20 minutes or so in good weather and is really beautiful. Good friends of ours were able to rent a decent house in the area. There are really wonderful restaurants there along the waterfront. You have to try Tin Pan Galley, especially their breakfasts.
We live near Thompson Park, which is a great park. There is a zoo, and a public pool that opens in the summer. Lot's of really beautiful trails. They have a fantastic fireworks display on the fouth of July up on the hill. Things to do,include white water rafting, skiing(Dry hill is close by) and snow tubing. I am an avid biker, my toddler and I find many places to ride. There are museums here, but really not worth mentioning. For kids there is a youth center on post, and a lot of activities through the Skiies program. Shopping is adequate most of the time, though when I really need to find things, I tend to take the hour drive to Syracuse. I'm originally from Utica so I sometimes head out to New Hartford Ny, which is about an hour and a half a way, to shop as well. There's Alex Bay, and you're not too far away from Old Forge and the Adirondack mountains. If you like to hike, you will love it there. Kingston, Ontario is not to far and a great place to go.
There are some nice beaches if you travel down Rt 3, I'd say about 35/40 minutes from us.
Weather: This past winter was a fluke, we hardly got any snow. Not typical. I do find that it can be snowing on Fort Drum, but not at our house and vice versa. I used to be stationed in Rome, NY and drive there and back every day...over RT 12 to Rt 26...Tug hill can get pretty tricky in the winter. 81 has been shut down at times. They are pretty good about clearing the streets here in town, most of the time.
My biggest complaint about the city of Watertown is traveling the main road, especially going through the center of town. It can get pretty congested. Getting back and forth to Drum from where we live is pretty easy and takes me about 15 minutes.
Child care on drum for me has been a good experience. I've only utilized hourly care, so had no need to be on a wait list. There are a good amount of grocery stores to choose from. I shop at the commissary and Sam;s club mainly, but there's a Price Chopper, Hannafords, Tops etc.
For medical Watertown Internists are great. For pediatricians , The Child and Adolescent health group, very good as well.
Please let me know if you would like further info. I'd be happy to help.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:15 PM

6 posts, read 15,893 times
Yay Kingston!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York