Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:24 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,438 times

Advertisements

Sounds like your plan is moving along nicely! Just a word of caution, the winters in the Catskills are much different than Minneapolis in that the Catskills are very isolated, especially in the winter. If a storm socks you in there won't be much chance to walk to the store, (depending on exactly where your house is, of course). The power may go out frequently (at least it used to when we lived in the Catskills years ago, lol!). So you may want to make sure the cupboards are stocked in the winter, make sure you keep flashlights for power outages, keep a shovel in your car in case you get stuck, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 06:30 AM

334 posts, read 1,102,716 times
Good luck! Here's a book by a NY transplant, "Walleye" is Delhi
http://www.amazon.com/Takes-Village-.../dp/0743211316
And your daughter will soon be old enough to enjoy "My Side of the Mountain" or could even listen to parts of it on audiobook now. My Side of the Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for people who hate it--some are those who can't take the winter (I heard a transplant moaning about how one year it snowed on Mother's Day) But others can't take the fact that it's such a small town, that the big city is so far away, that the only big store within an hour's drive is the Wal-Mart in Oneonta and the only fast food within a half hour range is the McD's in Delhi. There are people who find themselves just too isolated.

Here are a couple of Delhi places my kids enjoyed when we were the Delhi area:
The Historical Society Delaware County Historical Association and the animal shelter Heart of the Catskills Humane Society* which has a beautiful dog-walking trail by the river--over the past few years they've had a number of pets coming in from people who couldn't keep them any more

Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 PM

22 posts, read 49,668 times
Thanks so much for the advise. I can do this!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:25 PM

Aw. I feel the cyber love. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:32 PM

At this point, the main thing is a deep desire to escape the madness of Manhattan.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:34 AM

961 posts, read 2,503,888 times
..While I'm somewhat west of the Catskills, if you do move there, ADAPT AND ADJUST. We have seen a small but steady infllux of NYC, LI, NJ'ers over the years(Increased after 9/11). The only real issue I've seen, from our end of things, is that some of these "homesteaders", have a low tolerance for the way locals live their life....and expect neighbors near their properties to change (whatever bothers the new arrivals) versus them changing/adapting to their new surroundings.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:12 AM

93,328 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiebanks View Post
At this point, the main thing is a deep desire to escape the madness of Manhattan.
Also, if there other parts of Upstate NY that you are interested in, just let us know.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:46 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
..While I'm somewhat west of the Catskills, if you do move there, ADAPT AND ADJUST. We have seen a small but steady infllux of NYC, LI, NJ'ers over the years(Increased after 9/11). The only real issue I've seen, from our end of things, is that some of these "homesteaders", have a low tolerance for the way locals live their life....and expect neighbors near their properties to change (whatever bothers the new arrivals) versus them changing/adapting to their new surroundings.
That is a problem everywhere that urbanites choose to move to a rural area..

Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 PM

Yes, I can imagine the range of urban cultural demands. City culture does not equate entitlement. I am looking for a community I can plant roots, grown friendships in and build community with, for the health and growth of my daughter, and for the glory of God. I am terrified of becoming extremely isolated when I run the scenario over in my head, but in reality I'm quite isolated in the middle of Manhattan. I am prayerfully considering making the leap, and bottom line, I see it as a blessing.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,598 times
Thanks for this great discussion, everyone. Super helpful. I put my vote in for Margaretville, but it's been great reading about these other towns I'm less familiar with. I'd also say that, on the other side of the river, Chatham is a great bet. Closer to the Berkshires than the Catskills, but it's a great little town and close to Great Barrington and Western Mass. About 2 and a half hours, maybe three, from the city.

[mod] advertising[/mod]

--Upstater

Last edited by bellafinzi; 02-19-2012 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York