Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:16 PM

22 posts, read 49,668 times

Advertisements

We will be selling our East Village Co-op in 6-12 months and probably continue to live separately. I am considering taking my small share of the sale and buying an inexpensive home in the Western Catskills for my 6 year old daughter and me. I am Caucasian and my daughter is Africa American.

Has anyone made than kind of a move, and if so, any thoughts to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 01:07 PM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Are you looking at say western Orange and Sullivan Counties or are you looking into say Delaware and Otsego Counties as well?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:52 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,494 times
I would very, very strongly advise you NOT to buy anything in the western Catskills region. If HVHF gas-drilling comes to the area, and the industry and a relatively small number of residents and landowners very much want to bring it, the region will be radically transformed and industrialized and virtually no aspect of life here will be untouched. While there will be tremendous risk to clean water supplies, there will without question be a decline in air quality, a massive increase in heavy truck traffic (the industry is talking about drilling tens of thousands of wells, each well can be fracked multiple times, and each frack can require 150 or more tanker-truck trips.... we're looking at a massive increase in heavy truck traffic and associated accidents), there is evidence of an increase in crime in areas where fracking has been widespread, and most property values will definitely fall. Even if the state moves to ban fracking, which is extremely unlikely, the area will remain a target and the industry will continue to try and get in. There are some towns that are attempting to institute town bans, but the industry is seeking to have the state supercede local home-rule, and failing that at the state level, they will try it at the federal level. No matter how cheap the places here may seem, they can still end up worthless. My opinion is it will not be worth it- had we any idea this was coming down the pike when we moved 7 years ago we never would have done it.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:41 AM

@ckhthankgod - Mostly looking in Delaware and Otsego.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
I would very, very strongly advise you NOT to buy anything in the western Catskills region. If HVHF gas-drilling comes to the area, and the industry and a relatively small number of residents and landowners very much want to bring it, the region will be radically transformed and industrialized and virtually no aspect of life here will be untouched. While there will be tremendous risk to clean water supplies, there will without question be a decline in air quality, a massive increase in heavy truck traffic (the industry is talking about drilling tens of thousands of wells, each well can be fracked multiple times, and each frack can require 150 or more tanker-truck trips.... we're looking at a massive increase in heavy truck traffic and associated accidents), there is evidence of an increase in crime in areas where fracking has been widespread, and most property values will definitely fall. Even if the state moves to ban fracking, which is extremely unlikely, the area will remain a target and the industry will continue to try and get in. There are some towns that are attempting to institute town bans, but the industry is seeking to have the state supercede local home-rule, and failing that at the state level, they will try it at the federal level. No matter how cheap the places here may seem, they can still end up worthless. My opinion is it will not be worth it- had we any idea this was coming down the pike when we moved 7 years ago we never would have done it.
Wow. That sounds extreme. I hadn't heard of the propositions at all. I need to investigate this information further. I'm sorry for your trauma!

Old 01-27-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychrome View Post
Mostly looking in Delaware and Otsego.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:11 AM

In that case, Oneonta would be the best choice in terms of diversity, but still having things to do and solid schools. After that, I'd say Sidney, the Unadilla-Otego area, Delhi, Deposit and Walton next and probably in that order.

Here is some info: http://www.greatschools.org/modperl/...&county=Otsego

http://www.greatschools.org/modperl/...ounty=Delaware

Old 01-27-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In that case, Oneonta would be the best choice in terms of diversity, but still having things to do and solid schools. After that, I'd say Sidney, the Unadilla-Otego area, Delhi, Deposit and Walton next and probably in that order.

Here is some info: New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information
Ok. Thanks a lot for the info! What about this fracking concern on the other post? Any thoughts?

Old 01-27-2012, 08:43 AM

Well, there has been a lot of debate about the issue and it seems like the Southern Tier of Upstate and perhaps other areas close to PA seem to be targets. I believe that the watersheds would be fine, supposedly, if this does occur. With that said, I'd still look into the topic. Here's a start: No Fracking! Stop Hydraulic Fracturing Natural Gas Stimulation Drilling in New York State

Don't Frack With NY! :: Stop Hydraulic Fracturing (Fracking) in New York & Protect Drinking Water Quality

Fracking boom could go bust in N.Y. - Washington - The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/city/capital-connection/washington/article631309.ece - broken link)

Old 01-27-2012, 09:12 AM

417 posts, read 1,891,494 times
Sidney, Unadilla, Oneonta, Walton.... all are in the Marcellus shale and all are targeted. Without the fracking issue I could and would sing the various praises of each of these towns, but with this hanging over our heads I'd again recommend steering clear. The risk to water supply is only the aspect of the fracking issue that is currently getting the most direct attention. Even if we were lucky and nobody's water supply became contaminated, we'd still be living with radically increased air pollution (from the massive amount of industrial traffic, from the compressor stations, from the flaring, from the 'evaporation pools,' etc.), far more dangerous roadways and diminished property values, not to mention a very changed landscape, if wells are put in at the density projected (and all the attendant land-clearing, access roads, infrastructure, pipelines, etc.). You run the risk in three or four years of being stuck living in a place that is very, very different from when you moved to it.

As you head east you move out of the Marcellus, and there is less risk- as far as I recall, Delhi is outside the Marcellus and maybe not targeted. BUT.... there are other, deeper shale formations, like the Utica, which, as I understand it, are not in play because it is not economical or currently technologically feasible to exploit, however may become so in the future. Probably nowhere is completely safe- if there is a resource that big corporate power can profit through access to, they'll do everything they can to get to it. But the danger in the areas being discussed is immediate and very real.

Sidney is fairly depressed, and the downtown is frankly a little depressing. The town has been whacked with '100-year- floods twice in the last 7 year, doing substantial damage both times. But ironically the fracking issue has really connected and mobilized a relatively progressive portion of the population- in the elections in November two very pro-drilling incumbent council members lost by a landslide to anti-fracking candidates, shifting the balance of the board. There are people working really hard to come up with ways to revive the town/community and create a better future for the place.
Unadilla has a very cute main street, but there really isn't much at all in the town. The Unadilla town board is currently very pro-drilling- not sure if that really reflects the true attitude of the population or not. Unadilla also was severely effected by the flooding.
Oneonta is a pretty decent town/city- sort of like a mini-Ithaca in ways. Definite arty and progressive element, some OK restaurants, etc. Posters on this board have railed against the student population of Oneonta (drinking seems to be what they spend most of their time doing....), but without SUNY Oneonta and Hartwick the town wouldn't exist. Colleges bring a certain cultural vibrancy to their locale, and unfortunately that comes with things like frat parties. As long as you don't live in the student ghetto, the good outweighs the bad.

Last edited by honeychrome; 01-27-2012 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York