Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 06:28 PM

5 posts, read 15,283 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My family and I are planning on moving to the Auburn, NY area with my 2 yr old daughter. Can anyone provide any feedback on the below?

-Good day cares
-Good pre-schools
-Good Elementary Shchools (public/private/montessori)
-safe neighborhoods
-anything else that's good to know about Auburn!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:29 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
You would probably like the neighborhoods east of South Street and south of Route 5/Grant Avenue, as well as the area east of North Ave and north of Grant. Neighborhoods around Casey Park are fine too.

As for schools, within Auburn, Herman Ave and Owasco are the best public elementary schools. There are Catholic schools and a Montessori school as well. In the immediate area, nearby Skaneateles and Weedsport have a high level of academic performance.

As for daycare/preschool, this facility was suggested to me by my wife, who happens to work in the area: Neighborhood House of Auburn, NY INC - Home - Auburn, NY

As for other info, Auburn has a prison, but is a generally safe city/area. It is right by Owasco Lake, which is one of the Finger Lakes. Skaneateles/Skaneateles Lake are about 5 miles away. There is a mall there(Fingerlakes Mall), with shopping across the street. There is shopping on the other side of town on Grant Ave as well. Syracuse is about 25 miles away and shopping in Camillus, a western suburb of Syracuse is about 15 miles away on Route 5. You have the historic Seward and Tubman homes there. There is an Art Gallery there as well. Auburn also has a minor league Baseball team. It's about 5 miles to the NYS Thruway, which has an exit at Weedsport. There is a community college in the city and Wells College is in nearby Aurora. Here is some more information: Search For Schools, Colleges and Libraries

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information
Skaneateles Central School District in Skaneateles, NY | GreatSchools

Auburn School District
Welcome - Ss. Peter and Paul School
Welcome - St. Joseph Elementary School (Auburn)
Tyburn Academy
Montessori School of the Finger Lakes
Weedsport Central School District
Skaneateles CSD
Cayuga Community College | Home Page

Welcome to the City of Auburn, New York
Auburn, NY History & Tourism ~ Central NY Attractions ~ Cayuga and Finger Lakes Wine Trails
Finger Lakes Region - Cayuga county tourism - Auburn hotels wine tour packages attractions events
Seward House > Home
Cayuga County Chamber of Commerce - Auburn, NY
Harriet Tubman Home, Inc. | Home

The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Auburn Doubledays Homepage
Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center | Auburn, New York
Merry-Go-Round Playhouse * Broadway in the Finger Lakes
YMCA
Home

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Welcome to Skaneateles
Village of Weedsport, Cayuga County
Aurora Arts and Merchants Association
Union Springs
Village Clerk
Village of Moravia, Cayuga County
About The Town of Elbridge The Town of Elbridge has an estimated population of 6

Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 PM

5 posts, read 15,283 times
Wow! Thanks so much for your prompt and thorough reply! I will check all of those links out.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:48 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usman0092 View Post
hi, i have a son with autism/adhd and one with speech & developmental delays.we live outside the auburn area and i can tell you that we have found services for our boys in the lewiston auburn area. i can't speak for orono (never lived near there) but we have had developmental therapy, OT, speech, social work services, in home support and much more. and margaret murphy is in lewiston also. and western maine & comunity concepts can help transport to services if you cannot. so i don't know how that compares to orono, but we have been able to access the services we have needed for our boys.
hope that helps some!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York