Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 09:31 AM

16 posts, read 23,106 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We are moving from a small farm town in Indiana to NY..
I found a place to rent on Lewis street in Elmira.
Is this neighborhood ok for a family of country folks?
I hear to stay away from east side.. But that's all I've heard.. It's a long way from home for us.. Anybody from the area that can tell me what the street, block, and area is like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 09:47 AM

93,327 posts, read 123,972,828 times
It should OK, but do you prefer a more small town/rural type of community or it doesn't matter too much?

Old 02-06-2012, 10:02 AM

16 posts, read 23,106 times
I do prefer small town, but affordability is an issue. Don't mind a neighborhood setting, so long as we can walk down the street safely. I don't want to have to install a security alarm, and bars on the windows to feel safe.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,438 times
The Southside has gotten rougher over the last 10-20 years, but you should be ok on Lewis St. Just use the same common sense about your surroundings that you would use anywhere. 2am would probably not be the best time to go for a walk; make sure you lock your car and house, etc. But if you use common sense and stay aware, there's no reason you shouldn't be fine walking that area. There does tend to be a lot of teenagers running around at all hours in that area so there tends to be some occasional problems with kids getting rowdy, some vandalism, theft from unlocked cars. A lot of the area is renter occupied, and many of the apartments are section 8 housing. But nothing that would make me feel I need to install an alarm system for the house, etc. My mother lives near Lewis, on the other side of Pennsylvania ave so I have seen the area evolve from the 1970s to present, and am still down there frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: