Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:54 AM

715 posts, read 2,509,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
From what you have told me I would prefer (in this order) New Paltz, Beacon and Poughkeepsie if I were looking to permanently settle there. If I do receive the job in PK I will more than likely live in NP. As for Beacon, obviously Beacon. I find it interesting how I read recently that Beacon is also a huge commuter town for NYC (#3 busiest train line after Tarrytown and Croton-Harimon).
Yes, Beacon has been an increasingly popular spot for NYC-escapees. Among the reasons I've heard: cheaper cost of living, fresh air, beautiful scenery, and tired of purely urban living. This new segment of the population has aided Beacon toward gentrification.

The Beacon Station also gets many commuters from Orange County (across the river) as it provides direct service in to Manhattan. The train service in Orange County requires a transfer in New Jersey in order to get in to Manhattan.

You won't have any regrets on moving to New Paltz - its a happening town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 10:09 AM

469 posts, read 1,640,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
Yes, Beacon has been an increasingly popular spot for NYC-escapees. Among the reasons I've heard: cheaper cost of living, fresh air, beautiful scenery, and tired of purely urban living. This new segment of the population has aided Beacon toward gentrification.

The Beacon Station also gets many commuters from Orange County (across the river) as it provides direct service in to Manhattan. The train service in Orange County requires a transfer in New Jersey in order to get in to Manhattan.

You won't have any regrets on moving to New Paltz - its a happening town.
Exactly! Plus, the PK job would give me an excellent opportunity to potentially study at SUNY New Paltz after I adjust to my potential work atmosphere.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:37 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,499 times
In my opinion, NP hands down, than Poughkeepsie than Beacon. You've already heard all the pros of NP so I'll just mention choices #2-#3. Beacon does not have the same issues as Newburgh but it's not necessarily free from issues either. PK is also a much larger city than Beacon. But Beacon is much more attractive than PK due to the commute to NYC but that's not your concern. The reason I like PK is because there is just that much more to do in the immediate area than Beacon. Beacon in the winter is pretty much dead. Spring and summer bring folks from NYC and neighboring towns thru the Main St but there isn't that much more. As long as you stay out of some of the core 'bad' streets mentioned previously, I think for a young professional, you'll find a pretty fun and active vibe all year around in PK. Marist, CIA along with many restaurants, dive bars and live music places around in PK bring out every age range.
I actually think PK downtown has some great architecture but again it does have it's quality of life issues. You'll also have a larger selection of housing options in PK than in Beacon.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:59 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
From what you have told me I would prefer (in this order) New Paltz, Beacon and Poughkeepsie if I were looking to permanently settle there. If I do receive the job in PK I will more than likely live in NP. As for Beacon, obviously Beacon. I find it interesting how I read recently that Beacon is also a huge commuter town for NYC (#3 busiest train line after Tarrytown and Croton-Harimon).
I really don't know how much longer Beacon can hold on that ridership. The train is very very expensive. $404 a month + parking. MTA is proposing another fake hike next year (2013), 2015, and 2017...by 2017 the monthly ticket will be $500.

I remember back in the late 90s a monthly ticket was just over $200 and parking was FREE!

Old 03-19-2012, 06:50 PM

469 posts, read 1,640,312 times
Wow, that is interesting. I am surprised its so much, especially being as Beacon is far out from New York in comparison to Tarrytown and Croton-Harimon. I also heard that Beacon has some rough parts as well. NP seems the best bet of all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York