Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 06:42 PM

204 posts, read 752,036 times

Advertisements

When I go raise some children, I'm thinking of moving to either Lake George, Glens Falls, Queensbury, or Hudson Falls from Tuscarawus County Ohio. The reason is because they actually have good snowy enough winters for fun winter activities (unlike Ohio which is just slushy crap) as well as bearable summers. From the looks of it, it also has alot more to do for both kids and teens, and I'll be closer to the Atlantic Ocean for when I need a beach fix in the summertime.

A couple questions I'm wondering though...

1) How far does winter go, I know it starts in November and goes into at least March, but how much further does it usually go than that? I don't have to worry about the first 2 weeks of April because that will be when we go on our annual trip to Florida, but how often does it go into the second half of the month?

2) How are the schools in each of these towns? What are some extracurricular activities they have? What field trips do they go on? (I love traveling, and am intrested to see what places mt future kids would go without me.)

3. How long is everything open? Does even the indoor places in Lake George shut down during the winter? I know that place is mostly a summer spot, but Warren county locals gotta have something to do to while taking a break from skiing.

Last edited by terryclinker; 11-20-2008 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Added question 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 05:30 PM

204 posts, read 752,036 times
Default Bump and question 4

Bump

I also have a question 4.

4) How well do they take care of their roads during the winter?

Old 11-22-2008, 07:41 AM

144 posts, read 407,455 times
Hi Terry,

We have the typical winter and while we may get some flurries in April, the snow is either melted or melting and the flowers are beginning to bloom. The schools are good in Warren County as they have more money to be spent on them. I know I took a couple of field trips to museums in Albany when I was in high school, so they may still be doing it. When winter rolls around, it's pretty much hit Queensbury for the mall, movies and shopping. But, there is also and indoor Ice Skating Rink in Lake George that's fun to go to. And if you didn't mind an hour drive, you could head up to Killington, Vermont and they have a bunch of snow related activities on their mountains. The roads are very well maintained, more so than heading into Vermont even. I remember driving on route 4 in New York and the roads were salted and plowed and the minute I hit the Vermont border, it was slick and unsalted.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:13 PM

151 posts, read 605,106 times
I enjoy Lake George and I visit it one or two times a year. There is a drastic difference between Lake George int he Summer and Lake George in the Winter. I joke that they roll up the side walks for the winter. There are a few places that remain open and I did para sail for the first time on a frozen Lake George, but for the most part, everyone is hitting the slopes, cross country skiing or snow mobiling during the winter. A fair number of business people head south.

Lake George is a fantastic little place, but my favorite time is in June during the Americade.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 9,286 times
Hello! Not sure if you still are interested in our area but we have grown so much over the last few years it is truly amazing! With West Mountain Ski resort right in Queensbury, the Indoor Water Park At Six Flags in Lake George, brand new library, the civic center with popular venues and more!! Our winters genreally last til about March then we thaw and melt. I certainly have seen warm weather in March and I have seen snow in April. We have fantastic schools!! We have all the benefits of a tourist town and all the hometown feel of a small city!

Old 03-02-2009, 05:04 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,979 times
If you're still wondering, winters are pretty much as FrozenSnow85 described, with flurries in March and April still, but it's not as bad as it sounds. Everyone up there seems to be very used to the snow pretty much and the roads are well taken care of, especially the Northway (I-87) and other main roads.

There is also much to do up there, such as skiing (Gore Mountain isn't too far and they have activities for the summer as well and West Mountain is even closer to that area), and Six Flags in Lake George in the summer, plus tons of other fun things. Not to mention, the farther north in that area you go, the better the summers, in my opinion (summer in the mountains is great).

I don't know much about the education systems and the schools, however, as I went to school farther downstate.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:45 PM

5 posts, read 23,964 times
Default What's Glens Falls Like?

I am thinking of moving to the glens falls area sometime soon and wanted to see if i could get some insider info on the area - i.e. nightlife, concerts, cultural diversity, outdoor activities like mountain biking, kayaking, snowboarding.

I am a medical transcriptionist and am considering either Glens Falls or Boulder CO. I know boulder is a college town and only half an hour from Denver, so they're going to have quite a bit to do there, but I don't really know Glens Falls/Saratoga area too well.

I'm currently a transplant from the NE living in the south ad it sucks. I like upstate, because that's more like home for me, but at the same time i do like the rockies. I know the cost of living is cheaper in GF than Boulder, but i do like the mountains... hence my being torn.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:29 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeuss1621 View Post
I am thinking of moving to the glens falls area sometime soon and wanted to see if i could get some insider info on the area - i.e. nightlife, concerts, cultural diversity, outdoor activities like mountain biking, kayaking, snowboarding.

I am a medical transcriptionist and am considering either Glens Falls or Boulder CO. I know boulder is a college town and only half an hour from Denver, so they're going to have quite a bit to do there, but I don't really know Glens Falls/Saratoga area too well.

I'm currently a transplant from the NE living in the south ad it sucks. I like upstate, because that's more like home for me, but at the same time i do like the rockies. I know the cost of living is cheaper in GF than Boulder, but i do like the mountains... hence my being torn.
Remember that you have Saratoga Springs close by and Albany, Schenectady and Troy aren't much further away. So, you have other options that are within reasonable driving distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York