Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 20,968 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to purchase a place next year, and I'm looking at Rockland County as a possible destination. Specifically, I've been looking at Nanuet. Currently, I live in Queens, so I'm used to transportation options being available all hours of the day/evening. Is this the case with Rockland County? I looked at the NJ Transit schedule from/to Nanuet and it seems that they are limited to rush hour in the mornings and that they don't run late from Manhattan. Also, they don't run at the weekends??? What happens if you want to go into the city at noon or if you want to travel in at the weekend? Are there other transportation options? I work in lower Manhattan and my husband will be attending one of the CUNY colleges. Also, we like to go to concerts in the city and sometimes have to work late. Will we be able to get home if we decide to live in Rockland County?

Thanks in advance!

ATRAFF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 09:16 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,794 times
What about the new ferries? probably only run at busy time only also?

Old 09-07-2007, 09:56 PM

277 posts, read 773,449 times
Unfortuantely transportation from Rockland to NYC is mostly on a commuter schedule. Trains don't even run on the weekend.

Buses do run weekends and non-commuter hours but I'm not too familiar with the schedules. Check out CoachUSA dot com.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:08 AM

523 posts, read 1,680,245 times
There are options on the weekends, though not on the Pascack Valley line. If you have a monthly train ticket for a station in along the NY section, say Nanuet, I'm very sure you will be able to use your on the Bergen/Main Line [which, in NY becomes known as the Port Jervis Line] which is just a few miles to the west of Nanuet. You would board in Suffern.

Alternative, given, again that you have a Nanuet monthly ticket, you would be able to use this on the Hudson Line - just a few miles to the east, across the Tappan Zee Bridge. You would board in Tarrytown and go into Grand Central Station.

The ticket is accepted on both lines as the Pascack Valley Line, while in NY is actually the Metro North Railroad but is operated by NJ Transit (as is the Bergen/Main Line). NJ Transit accepts their tickets all over NJ. Metro North excepts their "West of the Hudson" tickets on the Hudson Line. So, you actually have a lot of flexibility.

For the best schedule {i.e., most trains} on the weekends, I would (and have) opted to go from Tarrytown.

For daily business-hour commuting, there also is park & ride bus service in Nanuet which goes to the Tarrytown train station.

I have recently read that Metro North is planning to add weekend service to the NY portion of the Pascack Valley Line. I don't recall when this is suppose to be in operation, but it seems it will be coming as they see a demand for service outside of the traditional commuting hours.

Good luck in your move!

Old 09-08-2007, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 20,968 times
Nancy,

You're right! It looks like Metro-North is planning to add weekend and non-rush hour weekday service to the Pascack Valley line. Additional service begins October 28th. I haven't been able to locate the new schedule, but I found these articles:

New Jersey Transit (http://tinyurl.com/2szesk - broken link)
Weekend, midday trains coming to Rockland (http://tinyurl.com/ytov9g - broken link)

This is great news! I'm all for decent public transportation. Perhaps this will encourage me to move to Rockland County.

atraff

Old 11-16-2007, 06:50 PM

25 posts, read 94,347 times
From Rockland its pretty easy to get into Manhattan by train or bus or by driving.
Spring Valley line, gos by Nanuet down into NJ then across the Hudson into Manhattan.
From Suffern the buses and trains run also and take about an hour.
I use to work in manhattan for 7 years and took the bus 2 weeks of the month and drove 2 weeks of the month. My sister use to work in lower manhattan at the Trade Center and she took the train into Manhattan.
There are express busses that have active schedules and run late into the night. I recall on week days I worked nights for a few years and took the last bus back to Rockland which might have been after midnight. Since then schedules probabley have gotten more active and more frequent as many people have relocated into rockland who commute into the city. You sgouldn't have any problems on weekends either. People work all hours and the commuters are the bread and butter for the public transportation systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York