Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,857 times

Advertisements

We're thinking about moving from NYC to Beacon. We have been up there recently and are excited about the positive changes we've seen (cute shops, The Dia: Beacon Museum, beautiful parks, etc.) we are concerned though about the school system and the prisons in the area. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 03:44 PM

203 posts, read 852,615 times
Jusy my two cents. Was offered a position at the big prison in Beacon a few months back...Downstate C.F. I asked one of the secretaries I met her opinion about the schools in Beacon...she said she wouldn't send her kids to Beacon schools. I didn't do any research into them because I wasn't really interested in the job, but her comments were enough to raise a red flag for me. Don't have any first-hand info though.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:03 PM

139 posts, read 617,648 times
Have you checked out GreatSchools.net ?
Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 03-04-2008 at 04:47 AM..

Old 09-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Bet

3 posts, read 8,381 times
I attended the schools in Beacon and now my kids do. I worked in different school districts. You will not find any where in this county a more diverse, caring and dedicated staff. Kids will be kids no matter where they are. It's the expectations of the adults that makes the difference. I give the Beacon City Schools a thumbs up!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:56 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,634 times
I like Beacon, but for about the same price you can get a nice house in Peekskill, which seems to offer pretty much everything Beacon does but a lot closer to the city. Granted, Peekskill doesn't have Dia Beacon (which I love), but it does have many galleries and the Hudson Valley Center for Contemporary Art (HVCCA: Hudson Valley Center for Contemporary Art). Just a thought.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:01 AM

348 posts, read 1,360,453 times
I grew up in Beacon and am a product of the school system. As another poster said, kids will be kids. It may not be the best in the area (I think Arlington is) but it could be worse. Beacon has come a long way. I've seen it go from good to bad to back to good again.
I would choose Beacon over Peekskill anyday anytime. Peekskill's crime is higher and not really as nice of a city IMO.
As for living by prison's, again, I lived in Beacon for 41 years and it was never an issue. I know people who live directly across the street from Downstate and don't have any problems. Beacon's new High school is very close to Fishkill Correctional and there have been no issues with that either.

Beacon is a great place!! I'm proud to have lived there. (only moved to get away from the cold).

Good luck to you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York