Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:06 PM

398 posts, read 838,445 times

Advertisements

FOX news interviewed Governor Chris Christie Sunday and he spoke about how he is making changes to NJ schools based on budget reform. The results have been less teachers, larger classrooms. He spoke about how the unions would not budge in negotiations and basically showed they care more about themselves than the students. Teachers could have avoided these changes by agreeing to a salary freeze and other options. The teachers wanted to be avoid a freeze towards raises and continue not paying any portion into health benefits, to avoid layoffs and other budget cuts. Instead they got their raises, continue to not contribute into their health care and class sizes have grown, untenured teachers have been laid off resulting in schools worse off.

The Governor brought up his idea that teachers would no longer have tenure and would be given four-year contacts subject to merit and teaching performance. He wants teachers to pay into their health care like most private sectors and mentioned that the raises NJ teachers are receiving are a slap in the face considering the state of the economy. Many people in the private sector have not received raises in two years.

It was interesting to hear the Governors ideas and how he will work to change NJ. They have a long way to go, but the school system there seems to have similar problems as NY. Governor Cuomo has said NY needs to freeze wages in NY and we are facing some of the same challenges as New Jersey.

Last edited by nyliguy; 01-18-2011 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 05:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,322,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
FOX news interviewed Governor Chris Christie Sunday and he spoke about how he is making changes to NJ schools based on budget reform. The results have been less teachers, larger classrooms. He spoke about how the unions would not budge in negotiations and basically showed they care more about themselves than the students. Teachers could have avoided these changes by agreeing to a salary freeze and other options. The teachers wanted to be avoid a freeze towards raises and continue not paying any portion into health benefits, to avoid layoffs and other budget cuts. Instead they got their raises, continue to not contribute into their health care and class sizes have grown, untenured teachers have been laid off resulting in schools worse off.

The Governor brought up his idea that teachers would no longer have tenure and would be given four-year contacts subject to merit and teaching performance. He wants teachers to pay into their health care like most private sectors and mentioned that the raises NJ teachers are receiving are a slap in the face considering the state of the economy. Many people in the private sector have not received raises in two years.

It was interesting to hear the Governors ideas and how he will work to change NJ. They have a long way to go, but the school system there seems to have similar problems as NY. Governor Cuomo has said NY needs to freeze wages in NY and we are facing some of the same challenges as New Jersey.
The "haves" (tenure) would rather throw the children and the "have nots" to the wolves. Too bad the solution they chose will not last forever.

So it looks like Christie's ideas are in trouble over there and it is not a model to follow for LI school districts.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:55 PM

592 posts, read 1,815,263 times
Or, Christie's plan is just a plot to send NJ down the drain even faster, ha ha

Old 01-18-2011, 05:57 PM

324 posts, read 335,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
Or, Christie's plan is just a plot to send NJ down the drain even faster, ha ha
In between the drinking and the gambling, this was the party line to all teachers during the NJ teachers annual trek to Atlantic City - on the tax payer's dime!!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:09 PM

19,242 posts, read 17,117,587 times
I hope the governer sticks by his guns! A constructive review of current benefits can be a good thing. Why should any segment of public service be exempt.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:18 PM

48 posts, read 76,425 times
The NJ state constitution grants the NJ governor powers that the NY constitution does not. This is why Christie has been able to come as far as he has. I believe he will succeed.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:29 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,582,776 times
He looks like Jabba the Hut

Old 01-18-2011, 07:34 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,066,842 times
He certainly is a breath of fresh air.

It's unusual for a politician to do unpopular things and then stand up to the backlash.

Next thing you know, someone will make fun of his appearance.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:48 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,582,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
He certainly is a breath of fresh air.

It's unusual for a politician to do unpopular things and then stand up to the backlash.

Next thing you know, someone will make fun of his appearance.
yeah!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:45 PM

852 posts, read 1,444,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post

Granted, I'm certainly not as informed as you are on the issue of education...BUT if I'm to understand this: You believe that these employees should VOLUNTARILY forsake getting a raise, VOLUNTARILY contribute more towards their health care plans, and VOLUNTARILY give up their job security. AND all because of the common good?!? I'm not in their situation BUT if my boss EVER came up to me and proposed that I do ANY of these things out of the goodness of my own heart, I think I too would have to say no, thank you. Now I'll ask you. If YOUR boss asked you, what would YOU say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: