Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 7,389 times

Advertisements

Hello there! I'm new to this forum, first poster here I've been browsing but thought I'd ask for some advice since now I'm in need of some!

My hubby and I are considering moving to NY state based on a pending job offer for him in Warwick, NY. My sister and her family live in West Milford, NJ so we're looking to live close to them. However, I'm not used to living in a "middle of nowhere" area where you have to drive 20-30 mins to get to most stores like in West Milford. I'm wondering if anyone could advise on cities near both West Milford, NJ and Warwick, NY that are more "built up" so to speak. I prefer a suburban living style and stores like Target, Wegmans, Bed, Bath and Beyond. I don't need to be next door but 10-15 mins is ideal. We are a young couple with no kids and would like to enjoy some night life, not just woods

I hope this is the right forum- the other NY sections didn't seem to fit.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 07:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Tough situation: Warwick and West Milford are indeed "the boonies"...gorgeous if you like trees. But life is all CAR, CAR, CAR. Good thing is the short commute between them...and NOBODY else is doing the same trip, so light traffic on county roads.

I think best bet is to live in West Milford and head into New York City when you want to frolic. For shopping there MUST be a Mall somewhere near you since they are EVERYWHERE.

It IS a pretty part of the world with lots of lakes, state parks, greenery...good for sleeping.

Your real problem is the fact of Warwick, New York and that cannot be changed. You might even consider LIVING in Warwick.

A quick 15 minute ride into Sloatsburg or Tuxedo and you can catch a train to NYC. In fact those two communities might be considered. (Tuxedo is VERY pricey)

Last edited by Kefir King; 03-26-2012 at 07:29 AM..

Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Perhaps you should ask in the New York and/or New Jersey forums, rather the New York CITY forum. People here are NYC centric and many know little of the areas distant from the city.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:04 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
From what I know, Warwick is great in the summertime. I would enter it on the search function here and see what was said about it. Also, go to the top of the home page and find Warwick under NY. You will get stats and all see other neighboring towns you can click on.

Addendum://www.city-data.com/city/Warwick-New-York.html

Old 03-26-2012, 03:09 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Look into the Monroe-Woodbury or built up areas just outside of Middletown(perhaps in the Pine Bush SD).

Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 PM

715 posts, read 2,508,493 times
CKH brings up excellent options. I actually think the Monroe-Woodbury area is a nice match for you. MAJOR shopping at Woodbury Common along with a whole slew of other stores nearby. No Wegmans in this part of New York State. Main grocery option here is Shoprite. Whole Foods and Trader Joes down the road in Paramus, NJ if these stores suit your fancy. NYC a short car ride or train ride (Harriman Station) - about an hour. Needless to say, there is a lot to explore in terms of nightlife in NYC. Other options for a fun night would be along the Newburgh or Poughkeepsie waterfronts. Warwick is only a short 20 minute ride to the Southwest.

Other locations worth investigating: Town of Wallkill (Middletown), Town of Newburgh

Old 04-01-2012, 02:51 PM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the feedback and advice! I'll be looking into all these cities

Old 04-03-2012, 06:43 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
I have not been in the Town of Warwick in a while but I do remember that this is a BEAUTIFUL area, filled with rolling hills, forests and small apple farms. And so close to New York City in distance but like a world away from the crowds. I am sure you will love it.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:31 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,714 times
What about outside of Middletown in the Scotchtown area close to stores,restaurants etc, but still a nice area low crime with an easy drive to Warwick.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:59 PM

I have been looking into Middletown and the surrounding cities of Warwick. We are still waiting to hear a definite on my husband's job offer in Warwick so until then, nothing is certain! Doesn't stop me from researching homes for rent and the like

BTW - does anyone know of a good realtor in the Warwick area? We are considering using one to find a rental since we don't know the area and will be in PA until we move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York