Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 02:51 PM

10 posts, read 28,316 times

Advertisements

Orange County is both surbuban and extremely rural. Where are you from that you know so much about Orange county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 12:03 PM

11 posts, read 34,267 times
Default Dr.Maria Ventouras

Please do alot of research before you move to the UK to NYC. I see you asking on this forum which is research, however, I suggest you look up the statistics of boroughs, will you have a car, look up the high schools, look up the other schools for your children, look up the neighborhoods, see if Long Island is would be a place for you. When you know more about NYC, I would then start asking questions on this forum. Google a map of NYC that research the statistics on where you think you want to be. Manhattan has the highest rents, however, if you do not mind spending 6,000 a month for your whole family to live comfortably, that is your choice. Please do not think I am being sarcastic, people do live like this in NYC and that is their or our choice. Good Luck. Dr.Maria Ventouras

Old 09-23-2007, 05:55 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,975,370 times
I don't think that they're looking for Manhattan. And if you ARE looking at Manhattan, don't count on the public schools for post-primary education. Private schools START (nursery school) at around $20,000/year and go up as the grade advances.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:23 AM

6 posts, read 41,305 times
Exclamation Familyman Joe

Some thoughts and comments about Ossining. I live just outside Ossining and the schools are very good and nationally recognized. However, having moved to Ossining 5 years ago from NYC there are a few MAJOR DOWNSIDES. In exchange for reasonably more living space you get to live in a boring area with absolutely no good restaurants or places to eat. If your used to ordering in, you might as well forget about it. The commute to Manhattan is reasonably tolerable (still well over an hour) but you will probably end up using the Croton train station due to its better train schedule. However, Croton is notorious for flooding so you have to be on your toes when it rains or your car might be destroyed. Ossining real estate prices have also started to drop but are still slightly higher than a few years ago. One can only hope that prices in Ossining do not continue to decline. Town budget is reasonable although I believe the average tax increase was about 10% higher than last year. Is it worth it? If I had to do it again I would say no. It can be a boring place to live filled with a growing underclass of unenthusiastic NYC transplants priced out of NYC. Aside from growing numbers of immigrants, most new residents will confide to you that they are not living here by choice. However, given the fact that we can not afford to live in NYC we have no real choice in the matter with two kids.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:39 PM

6 posts, read 41,305 times
Post Familyman Joe

In a followup to the previous post, I don't want to give the impression that Ossining is all bad. Although there are major downsides real estate prices are comparatively affordable. For example, you should be able to get a nice home in a townhouse development (appx. 1500-2000 sf) for anywhere between $350,000 to $425,000 depending on condition and location. Prices, have already declined (expect prices to fall some more) but are still higher than a few years ago. A similar apartment in New York City could easily cost you 4-5 times that amount (think premier UES, UWS, Chelsea) and you will still end up paying significant taxes and common charges on top of any mortgage you might hold. If you can handle the boring lifestyle and don't miss living in New York or some other larger city, reasonable (still not cheap) real estate prices and excellent schools might make Ossining a good place for you to live. However, you might wan't to wait while home prices continue to correct. I've been told (privately) that anywhere from 10-30% is highly possible. Larger and single family homes will most likely retain more of their value then town houses. Ultimately, Ossinings proximity to NYC transportation routes still make it attractive to people who are willing to handle the commute. Also, although you may appreciate the "country" lifestyle, do not forget that it does get colder then NYC and you have to be prepared for dealing with a cold and snowy commute thats not always fun. If you check out the area in the warmer months, before you move you should know that things are very dreary in Janaury/Feb/March March.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:45 AM

2 posts, read 6,050 times
Thank you all, I am doing constant research, and I have narrowed it down to the yorktown / yortown heights area. Im not sure if some of you think we are mad but this is is a well supported move by my husbands work, we have been travelling to NYC of and on for years, and know the prices are over inflated the closer in you are to the city. I was just a bit lost as regards areas that were great to commute from, its always good to ask the locals

Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 AM

88 posts, read 530,830 times
Default UK to NY

You can certainly find somthing in the NY area that is within your price range and within reasonable commute to NYC for work. I live upstate NY and commute to the city everyday for work. I would suggest that you look at the Metro North website and pick any location that is along the Hudson River/ Metro North Railroad commute line. These areas are for people who want that rural/ family orientated location while still having the convenience of close proximity to the urban city. All of these places are great for what you are looking for:

- Cold Spring
- Croton-on-Hudson
- Beacon
- Garrison

I hope this is helpful

Old 11-16-2007, 06:40 PM

25 posts, read 94,433 times
In Westchester about 1 hour from Grand Central by Commuter Train, is the town of Golden's Bridge, which is well above your price range, but next to Golden's bridge is Somers. Somers has a nice area of homes and condos possibly within your price range and very convenient for commuting to NYC.
On the other side of the River is Rockland County & Bergen County. The Suffern / Mahwah / Ramsey area is about 45 minutes drive and about an hour commute by bus or train into Manhattan.
Rockland is more affordable on home prices but the property taxes are generally higher than in Mahwah or Ramsey.
Westchester property taxes can be easily be even higher than Rockland in general, but the townhome / condo alternative mightr work out nicely for you to consider.
Also, Suffern has some very nice townhomes and condos that woul be within your price range I'm sure.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:35 PM

20 posts, read 94,359 times
Default New Rochelle

It's 35 minutes (rush hour) to Grand Central Stn. in Manhattan (take New Haven line at New Rochelle Train Stn.). But please choose the North side of town to live. It's really beautiful. The problem is, a house with 4 bedrooms at $550K at this location will definitely be a rehab. New Rochelle is the best place in Westchester for commuting into Grand Central Stn. (right on 42nd St. and Madison, in Midtown Business District). We also moved here from the UK. We've been in New Rochellefor 5 years and have a beautiful colonial house, but to get to this we had to work hard, mostly my husband and I, since local contractors can charge anything they want - it's ridiculous. You mustn't pay these prices. You have to shop a lot to get a decent price. Just don't give in to the first 3 that just throw you whatever price just for fun. Actually I know a contractor who once told me he quoted a job just for fun - a extremelly high price because he didn't want to do it. He was just about to go on holiday with his wife. He was surprised the person actually accepted and gave him half of the money up front. He took the money, went on holiday, celebrated and let the client waiting until he returned to do the job. Unbeliavable how people can throw money in the garbage when there's a lot of people who don't have a shoe to wear or food to eat in this world. So ironical... Being Westchester, Long Island or Manhattan its gonna be tough, but not impossible. You actually don't want to live in New Jersey. Pleeeease!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:09 AM

25 posts, read 94,433 times
Mad_Jaqui,
There are many fine locations for you to consider. One alternative is about 1 hour up from Grand Central by Golderns Bridge, in Westchester. Although you might not find something in your price range there, the town next to Golden's Bridge is Somers, and there are some very convenient commuter townhomes that might fit within your price range.
Another alternative worth your while to consider, might be about 1 hour from Manhattan in Suffern, Rockland County. Some convenient commuter townhomes, condos and single family homes are within your price range. Good Sumaritan Hospital is located in Suffern and there is a modern library in the village.
If there's anything else I can do, please let me know.
Best Wishes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York