Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,054 times

Advertisements

Where do i start with looking for a rural type town with a good high school, within 1 hour of Grand central sation for husbands communte? I have 2 teenagers 13 and 14 and would also be eventually working as a visiting nurse myself so would like to get it right first time. I have noticed that the real estate costs are amazing along this area ! we have about 550000 to spend and need min 4 beds and about 2000 ft. Help am i just dreaming?
regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 12:37 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,979,538 times
You'll find suburban within an hour of NY, but not really rural. Where is your husband working (address), as it makes a difference whether he's working on the East side or the West side?

Old 09-17-2007, 02:39 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,925,219 times
I poked around a few real estate sites and I would concentrate on Westchester County since the train goes into Grand Central unlike living on Long Island which if you are working near GC is a much better option.

Long Island I would skip entirely, there are plenty of reasons why on the Long Island Forum. Number one is Cost and two is the Penn Station train station. Having commuted in and out of there for many years, to put it nice it is kind of a hell hole and the LIRR is absolutely the worst train service in the Country. Grand Central on the other hand is absolutely a much better experience. There will be times when for a variety of reasons you will be stuck waiting and GC is a MUCH better place to be stuck than Penn Station and the service is better than the LIRR. And although those areas are suburban it is intermingled with more of a country feel than LI which it is very hard and not commutable to find anything close to country living. http://grandcentralterminal.com

There is a high speed ferry no idea what that is like:

MTA Metro-North Railroad Raillink (http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/raillink/ferry_service.htm - broken link)

And this is the train information so you can get a sense of commuting times when you find a location.

MTA Metro-North

Google map of the area

train loc: Tarrytown, NY - Google Maps

I found some nice homes around your budget in Tarrytown, Ossining which is 50-60 minutes on the train. Also look at Sleepy Hollow, Pleasantville, Bronxville (not the Bronx). You may also need to consider a condominium since you will find more homes in your budget. I am not going to post the real estate sites. I just Googled Tarrytown, NY real estate and it will give you a feel for the area. All these areas have some downsides; that is a part of living within commuting distance to NYC, and why it costs A LOT to live well in these areas. SO good luck if you hone in on something perhaps others will share more detailed knowledge which I don't have a lot of. I used to visit family in the area and I always like it.

gl!

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 09-17-2007 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: oops grammer the english dude will think we are illiterate lol

Old 09-17-2007, 02:55 PM

7 posts, read 33,658 times
Default 1 hour from grand central

Nothing rural will be found within one hour of Grand Central Terminal.
If willing to take the bus into the city consider places in Rockland County, NY
like Congers, Valley Cottage, West Nyack. If it has to be the train consider the Suffern area of Rockland County, NY. Rural areas can be found 2+ hours out from Grand Central.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:48 AM

90 posts, read 687,079 times
If you want to be along a direct train connection to GC Station then I'd say the Harlem Line (named for the valley ..not the neighborhood) takes you into to most idyllic still semi-rural enclaves along the border between New York and Connecticut. I'm talking from upper Westchester through Putnam to southeast Dutchess County. Its obviously lovely with farms etc. as far up as eastern Dutchess but your commute is at 90 minutes by then certainly...probably close to 2 hours from the northernmost terminus of this line at Dover Plains (which is 80 miles north-northeast of NYC). Maybe I could deal with that if I was just sitting on a train..but you'll have to decide.

Another option is the areas in Orange County not that far over the NJ line such as Goshen, Warwick, Town of Florida, etc. There is a mix of suburbia and still rural feel in that area...some farms hanging on. There you would have to drive somewhat south to the nearest direct rail link via NJ Transit into Penn Station I think. Metro North goes into Orange County, but I don't believe it goes directly under the Hudson into Penn Station whereas NJ Transit may do so.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:46 PM

30 posts, read 89,084 times
Don't forget to check out Google Earth for aerial views of towns that sound interesting. Most major places, like NYC, have Google 3D and street views too. Street view = see what's across the street from the address you enter!

Old 09-20-2007, 05:07 AM

She's not looking in NYC- that's the only place that has Street View in Google.
You can get a satellite view of places with Google Earth, but that's not going to help if nothing's known about the area. I think she needs to figure out where she wants to live (Westchester or NJ or CT) first and then narrow things down.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 12,167 times
Orange County is a good choice.Monroe,Central Valley,Cornwall,Harriman,.Goshen.Excellent Schools.550,000 can buy you a house with 4 bedrooms.In this market you can actually get new construction!Trains to path to lower nyc or cross over Secaucus NJ to penn.1 hour to 1hour 20 min...

Old 09-21-2007, 02:05 PM

10 posts, read 28,326 times
Default Where to go

Orange county is a great spot for your family. There are excellent schools and a good quality of life. If you want more info regarding what towns and which schools work best for your childrens needs, get back to me.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:27 PM

Again, Orange County is suburban, and the OP asked for rural...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York