Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2012, 04:52 AM
 
2 posts, read 5,478 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi, I was planning to move to New York, I always wanted to live there, after I graduate this year. I currently live in Buena Park, California, which is in orange county, but I used to drive to Cal State Los Angeles every day, I am used to traffic, I used to go to hollywood and downtown la alot so I'm not scared of driving. , in cali there isn't good public transportation for OC, to LA, metrolink sucks.

Questions
Is it necessary to drive in NY?, because in Cali for OC to LA yes you do.
Is there quiet suburban Neighborhoods like Buena Park or Cypress, Fullerton?
What is the wealthy areas like Newport, or Laguna?
What areas are bad like Watts, or Santa Ana?
Do apartments or room for rent provide parking?
Do houses have driveways, or the street have ample parking?

Last edited by djxpanda; 04-29-2012 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: forgot question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2012, 08:40 AM
 
43,299 posts, read 43,950,346 times
Reputation: 20380
If you are planning on living in New York City then you will not need to drive and should post your question in the NYC forum. If you are planning on living in another location in NY State then you will probably need to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 12:21 PM
 
Location: SENIOR MEMBER
655 posts, read 2,321,014 times
Reputation: 918
Default Do you mean move to NY City or to NY State?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpanda View Post
Hi, I was planning to move to New York, I always wanted to live there, after I graduate this year. I currently live in Buena Park, California, which is in orange county, but I used to drive to Cal State Los Angeles every day, I am used to traffic, I used to go to hollywood and downtown la alot so I'm not scared of driving. , in cali there isn't good public transportation for OC, to LA, metrolink sucks.

Questions
Is it necessary to drive in NY?, because in Cali for OC to LA yes you do.
Is there quiet suburban Neighborhoods like Buena Park or Cypress, Fullerton?
What is the wealthy areas like Newport, or Laguna?
What areas are bad like Watts, or Santa Ana?
Do apartments or room for rent provide parking?
Do houses have driveways, or the street have ample parking?
Hello djxpanda,

When you say you are planning to move to New York, things/information depend on whether you mean move to New York CITY or to New York STATE. There are big differences and information about both. If you mean New York CITY, then you should post your inquiry on the New York City forum of city-data; you have posted your/these questions on the New York State forum which is primarily for questions regarding all the smaller towns and smaller cities that do not have their own forums. People in New York City probably don't read the NY State forum as often or at all, as they may read their own New York City forum.

A car in New York City might be more of a hassle than an asset unless you plan to drive a lot to Upstate New York, out to outer Long Island, to New Jersey, to Boston, or to Philadelphia, to Vermont, to the mountains, etc. ` You can take the Train to some distant cities or rent a car to travel elsewhere. Parking is a BIG problem in NY City. Street parking or parking at your residence can be horrible depending on what area of Greater New York City you live. The subway system, city buses, taxis, long distance buses, and the long distance Trains or rental cars will be of great help to you.

Regarding moving to New York STATE-Upstate, in my opinion Syracuse and Rochester are great choices for sort-of large cities. Buffalo and some towns in the Albany area can be good too. Two exceptional smaller cities, in my opinion, are Ithaca-NY (beautiful Finger Lakes/vineyards/wineries/farmlands Region-sort of Napalike?=but I think FLR is more beautiful) and Saratoga Springs-NY north of the Albany area on the way toward the Adirondack Mountains & beautiful Lake George-lake.

If you ever have questions about towns, cities, mountains, lakes, attractions, etc. in upstate New York State, just post your questions on the various NY State cities forums=Syracuse forum, Rochester forum, Buffalo, Albany, etc.

Best of luck to you with your move to the east coast. Much success to you.

grdnrman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 03:16 AM
 
2 posts, read 5,478 times
Reputation: 10
I meant New York State, like Manhattan or Brooklyn, just wondering for anybody who lived in both Cali and New York, A area similar to Orange County and a place like LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 05:10 AM
 
91,941 posts, read 122,010,132 times
Reputation: 18129
I'd guess that Westchester and Rockland Counties and perhaps Nassau County are the most similar in terms of NY counties near NYC. Fairfield County in CT and Bergen County in NJ may also be similar to Orange County CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Dutchess County, NY
35 posts, read 120,801 times
Reputation: 41
I lived in S.Ca for 25 years plus twice in NY state. Other than the few miles near NYC there isn't anything like LA traffic in the state. If you plan on living in the CITY of NEW YORK then sell your car. If you plan on living outside of the city and commute into the city then take the rapid transit system and leave your car at home. Yes, there's rich and poor areas. You can live in Westchester County if you can afford it or on Long Island and drive local trips. You will not want to pay to park in NYC.

Plus NJ or CT have rapid transit systems feeding into NYC. A few extra miles can get you into rural countryside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 07:24 AM
 
12,769 posts, read 18,260,617 times
Reputation: 8762
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpanda View Post
Hi, I was planning to move to New York, I always wanted to live there, after I graduate this year. I currently live in Buena Park, California, which is in orange county, but I used to drive to Cal State Los Angeles every day, I am used to traffic, I used to go to hollywood and downtown la alot so I'm not scared of driving. , in cali there isn't good public transportation for OC, to LA, metrolink sucks.

Questions
Is it necessary to drive in NY?, because in Cali for OC to LA yes you do.
Is there quiet suburban Neighborhoods like Buena Park or Cypress, Fullerton?
What is the wealthy areas like Newport, or Laguna?
What areas are bad like Watts, or Santa Ana?
Do apartments or room for rent provide parking?
Do houses have driveways, or the street have ample parking?
This is hard to answer... NY is vast and very diverse. The richest part of the state is long island but not all parts of LI are rich. Most places you would need to drive except NYC, Brooklyn, bronx and queens. Yes there are some quiet suburban neighborhoods... This is kind of silly bc I mean do u really think that in a state this large we wouldn't have quiet suburbs? Each rental is different- some provide ample parking, some don't. It depends on the apartment and the area. NYC pretty much parking is either non-Existant or super expensive. We really need more specifics about where youre looking to move. Upstate and downstate are two totally different worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 07:36 AM
 
43,299 posts, read 43,950,346 times
Reputation: 20380
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpanda View Post
I meant New York State, like Manhattan or Brooklyn, just wondering for anybody who lived in both Cali and New York, A area similar to Orange County and a place like LA
Manhattan and Brooklyn are parts of New York City and one does not need a car in these areas. Manhattan is kind of similar (but not exactly) to downtown L.A. An area similar to Orange County would perhaps Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,966 posts, read 34,550,354 times
Reputation: 7722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Manhattan and Brooklyn are parts of New York City and one does not need a car in these areas. Manhattan is kind of similar (but not exactly) to downtown L.A. An area similar to Orange County would perhaps Long Island.

Landwise, it would be comparable to the size of Suffolk County (easternmost LI) Populationwise, the population of OC is greater than Nassau and Suffolk (the two counties which make up LI from a political/population perspective) combined. You have plenty of Ocean beaches as well as Sound beaches.

A car is a necessity even if you are in western Nassau, closer to the NYC /Queens border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 PM
 
Location: New York
628 posts, read 658,150 times
Reputation: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
This is hard to answer... NY is vast and very diverse. The richest part of the state is long island but not all parts of LI are rich. Most places you would need to drive except NYC, Brooklyn, bronx and queens. Yes there are some quiet suburban neighborhoods... This is kind of silly bc I mean do u really think that in a state this large we wouldn't have quiet suburbs? Each rental is different- some provide ample parking, some don't. It depends on the apartment and the area. NYC pretty much parking is either non-Existant or super expensive. We really need more specifics about where youre looking to move. Upstate and downstate are two totally different worlds.
I disagree. New York City and upstate may be two different worlds, but "downstate" and "upstate" are not much different. By that I mean LI, poughkeepsie, etc... and syracuse, albany are more alike than different.

the quesiton for OP is whether he/she wants urban (nyc, albany, syracuse, etc..) or rurual/suburban (LI, westchester, north country, etc..).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:51 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top