Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 03:38 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
The Upstate of today is a drug and crime infested wasteland.

As I'm sure your aware guns are illegal in NY but I did catch that Syracuse had 3 shootings in one night over the weekend. I don't follow super close but listening to the radio in the morning I'd say Syracuse averaged 2-3 shooting a week. I'm sure all those guns are properly registered and all permits are in place.
Amen. I think people are just not recognizing that it really isn't as great as some want to see it as.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:01 PM

93,328 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Amen. I think people are just not recognizing that it really isn't as great as some want to see it as.
Drugs are everywhere, not just Upstate NY. If you think otherwise, then you are sadly mistaken.

Also, many times the news will talk about the same shooting for 2-3 days. Then, there's the fact that most of the serious crime in Upstate NY is relegated to certain parts of the major and mid major cities and is very much avoidable.

SC as a state has a higher crime rate than NY and it is more spread out. For instance, my mother's hometown is the size of Ballston Spa or te village of Baldwinsville, but has a crime rate on par with many of the major and mid major cities in Upstate NY according to this website. Domestics seem to be a big issue in that part of the state.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:07 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Drugs are everywhere, not just Upstate NY. If you think otherwise, then you are sadly mistaken.

Also, many times the news will talk about the same shooting for 2-3 days. Then, there's the fact that most of the serious crime in Upstate NY is relegated to certain parts of the major and mid major cities and is very much avoidable.

SC as a state has a higher crime rate than NY and it is more spread out. For instance, my mother's hometown is the size of Ballston Spa or te village of Baldwinsville, but has a crime rate on par with many of the major and mid major cities in Upstate NY according to this website. Domestics seem to be a big issue in that part of the state.
Of course drugs are everywhere. It's just amazing how they get through the wire all over the place in many small cities and towns in upstate.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Of course drugs are everywhere. It's just amazing how they get through the wire all over the place in many small cities and towns in upstate.
No it isn't. If you look at any state, you will find a similar story. Look at what ss20ts posted for example.

Here are some examples of crime in my mother's hometown of just over 5,000 people: Mullins man on trial for killing wife, injuring stepson | SCNOW

Mullins man found beaten dies | SCNOW

and nearby: Marion County Deputies make murder arrests | SCNOW

Marion Police search for robbery suspect | SCNOW

Marion man arrested in connection to home invasion | SCNOW

Marion County deputies investigate fatal drive-by shooting | SCNOW

All in an area with maybe 10-20,000 people.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:11 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
We had a home invasion on my street afew weeks ago.

My old lady was like its prolly drugs. I said ya all we gotta do is rely on drug addicts to always pick the right house and we are safe as can be.

I see Clay had a HI this weekend.

The police Upstate are either involved or retarded. Its getting worse and worse and at a rate that even I who hates these people the most are stunned by. In my most dire nightmare scenario I couldn't even come close to how bad its gotten or how fast we got here. Until the State Troopers start taking back the towns one by one the decline is just gonna pick up speed.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
We had a home invasion on my street afew weeks ago.

My old lady was like its prolly drugs. I said ya all we gotta do is rely on drug addicts to always pick the right house and we are safe as can be.

I see Clay had a HI this weekend.

The police Upstate are either involved or retarded. Its getting worse and worse and at a rate that even I who hates these people the most are stunned by. In my most dire nightmare scenario I couldn't even come close to how bad its gotten or how fast we got here. Until the State Troopers start taking back the towns one by one the decline is just gonna pick up speed.
If that was the norm and random, it would be one thing, but by and large, it isn't. Those examples in SC are in a small area of a county with 33,000 people. That is less people than the city of Rome, to put that into perspective.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:06 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
+1

Mobile meth lab found on remote road in town of Sullivan Monday - oneidadispatch.com

I gotta give these guys credit. They are going small which makes them very hard to catch.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
+1

Mobile meth lab found on remote road in town of Sullivan Monday - oneidadispatch.com

I gotta give these guys credit. They are going small which makes them very hard to catch.
Luckily, law enforcement has caught on to these mobile Meth labs. Unfortunately for you, if you were looking to escape this by going to the Pacific Northwest, then you may find out that this issue was/is very big in states like Wasshington, Idaho, Oregon and Montana. In Idaho and Montana, they had to have government initiatives to help decrease Meth use among teens:
Montana Meth Documentary - YouTube

Montana Meth Project

Idaho Meth Project

Teen meth use in Idaho down substantially according to new report « IdahoReporter.com

News

FBI — Washington Man Sentenced for Trafficking Meth in Idaho

Local

My Own Private Idaho: Know Your Neighbor: The Meth Head

Meth Statistics in Washington

meth in washington state - Google Search

Back to the topic, I think that this thread does seem like one of those that are about convincing others about their move or that this is the only option for folks.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:29 PM

183 posts, read 303,308 times
No, I just wanted to see if any other new yorkers had made the move and hear their thoughts.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNY2GRNVL View Post
No, I just wanted to see if any other new yorkers had made the move and hear their thoughts.
I know that there are other posters from other parts of NY that like it, but just like everything else seem to have its pros and cons. That can be subjective though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York