Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 07:45 AM

211 posts, read 431,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
Moving out of Orange County is a good move, period. O.C. is riddled with corruptions reported by the local radio WTBQ Jerry & Lorraine show. The local papers have shut down the forums as the complaints were so fast and furious. Kiryas Joel is definitely one of the biggest tax scams going, known as the "Irresponsible Breeding" scam. As in make the kids get on welfare so the working stiff can support that kid. Monroe-Woodury Sch., has taken and HID 13Million in three different bank accounts!!! and then voted themsevles another yealry increase(most of who voted for the budget work for the school system)..needless to say Monroe-Woodbury the largest school district IS riddled with drugs.
Shame what happened to O.C. it is becoming Newburgh on a larger scale. FBI busted a huge prostituion ring in Monroe that operated for 15!!! years!!! FBI just busted a "upscale" house with a 1.5Million worth of Marihuana.
In ten years O.C. Taxes have risen 120% as the quality of life is steadily is deteriorating.
Blame those holding office. 7 out of 10 is into some kind of scam involving taxation one way or another. In ten years Orange County LOST 30 thousand working residents to the South. It GAINED about 30k plus "foreigners" who work at low wages or totally under the table for Kiryas Joel who ONLY hires "foreigners" so they don't have to pay payroll taxes.
Newburgh which was distressed already could never hope to have a meaningful revival of its former glory(around the early 1900s) due to the rampant criminality by public officials in O.C., if they are not involved they look the other way and just collect a pay check.
GOOD MOVE to Greenwille

Nice honest post, good to see someone who knows whats REALLY going on around here and not just another person who paints a rosy picture of an area that was GREAT 20-30 years ago. KJ will have more than half of Orange County as their own by 2025-2030. Cant wait to get out of here!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:27 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I don't know about SD. My target town was Wall (pop 700) and would you believe I met two NY transplants?? Its that nutz or what?? I don't sign my debt card so people have to ask for ID and they see I'm from NY. One was from Manlius and one from near Buffalo but remembered going to the Oneida Factory Outlet. Both assured me I would love it and never miss NY. They seemed nice and not on drugs but you never know right??

Time will ease our money problems as we are paying two health insurances, two 401K's and all that crap. In a safer area we could lay back and wait and be fine. But time is one thing we do not have. Its bad now and with the growing drug market I cannot see the gangs from Syracuse not wanting to get in and its going to be bad during the takeover period.
Just be aware that southwestern SD is one of the most impoverished areas in the US. Shannon County, Todd County, etc always come up on county ranking lists as having 50%+ living in poverty. Rapid City and Wall might not be bad, IDK, but the surrounding areas are extremely impoverished Indian Reservations. Also, the county that Wall is in has a higher poverty rate than Madison County NY. I would bet that you would find a lot of druggies in that area, per capita. Then again, the population is so spread out, you might not notice it.

Like I said, I don't know your situation. Most working people contribute to a 401k (I do) and have health insurance. Maybe you're maxing out the 401k limit (17k a year, each). Even still, just seems hard to believe that two people pulling down roughly $120k a year have to live in a drug infested, run down area.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Vintage, it has been confusing from the start. I have 3 kids and my wife and I make less combined. We still managed to find a decent home in a good suburban school district. So, there may be more to the story.
To me, it seems easy to make it up there on $50k, let alone $100k. I struggle to make it here, but this is known as an expensive area. I just refuse to live in some run down, drug infested area, no matter what I make. There's no reason to, if you have a job and make a decent salary. There's always an out, you can rent your house out and move. You can short sale the house, and find a private rental that doesn't check credit. Heck, up there, you can almost pay for a house outright in an area with bad schools, cause he doesn't have kids.

In NYC and Orange County, this is not possible.

Taxes are bad, but no government is taking 50% of your income unless your making serious, Bill O'Reilly-style cheddar. If they are, I would serious pack my stuff and move out. Or incorporate a "business" in Nevada to protect myself and have write-offs. You gotta do what you gotta do in these economic times and complaining about living in a ghetto and being trapped, but pulling down $100k a year doesn't make any sense.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:31 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Exactly Vintage. It doesn't add up, even if Oneida was drug infested. There are areas that have seen better days on that city's Northside due to a decline in manufacturing, but those areas were always blue collar and there are quite a few solid to very nice parts of town. Even with that said, you can live pretty much anywhere in the area with that type of income. Near Oneida, there is the city of Sherrill, which has very low energy rates and is where Oneida Limited is/was located. It is in a good school district(Vernon-Verona-Sherrill) and is a safe area. So, there are options close by.

Welcome to the City of Sherrill | The Silver City

Sherrill, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

City of Sherrill Power and Light Home Page

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-02-2012 at 10:40 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 10:39 AM

DEA, Maps of Methamphetamine Lab Incidents

The only thing I would say that's disheartening is that its on a upward trend in NYS. But still, compared to Missouri,Tennessee, and Indiana, its not that bad. What did surprise me was Pennsylvania's low number. And its downward trend. No doubt, in my mind, due to increased employment in rural areas with fracking.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
DEA, Maps of Methamphetamine Lab Incidents

The only thing I would say that's disheartening is that its on a upward trend in NYS. But still, compared to Missouri,Tennessee, and Indiana, its not that bad. What did surprise me was Pennsylvania's low number. And its downward trend. No doubt, in my mind, due to increased employment in rural areas with fracking.
Maybe they came up here. Fracking is coming to parts of NY potentially. So, that could have the same effect, if it is related. Even compared to Southern states, it is much lower. This doesn't even get into the rate either.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-02-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 11:08 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
I'll bettya 80% or better of NY's total happened within a mile of my house.

I'm guessing you've never lived in NY?? Never seen your pay check gutted every week?? I take one from Albany every Friday and another HUGE one in January. And I still have to pay all the Federal stuff. Then with the pennies that are left my house taxes and insurance plus flood insurance are 600 a Month. And a mortgage on top of that. Then the second highest electric rates in the nation plus the giant heating bills.

So of coarse I can afford to leave the ghetto (I'm on the mentioned Northside). But not without selling this place and the slum lords don't pay full price they just wait until people walk away and get it at auction.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:

I'm guessing you've never lived in NY?? Never seen your pay check gutted every week?? I take one from Albany every Friday and another HUGE one in January. And I still have to pay all the Federal stuff. Then with the pennies that are left my house taxes and insurance plus flood insurance are 600 a Month. And a mortgage on top of that. Then the second highest electric rates in the nation plus the giant heating bills.

So of coarse I can afford to leave the ghetto (I'm on the mentioned Northside). But not without selling this place and the slum lords don't pay full price they just wait until people walk away and get it at auction.
NY, born and raised, my friend. Got family in Oswego County dating back to the late 1800's. Put my last name into a search in Oswego and Onondaga County land records and be prepared to look through hundreds of people. Also lived outside of Glens Falls for a short while. Currently live in PA but consider NY my home state. Well, NJ too because I lived there for over 20 years, owned a house there, and work there currently.

NJ also guts your salary but no one in my earning bracket is paying more than 25% in taxes. And that's pretty high. Check property taxes in NJ- $600 a month is laughable. Try $1000 a month for the average 3 bedroom ranch on 1/4 acre. So you're preaching to the converted with the tax situation. I hate it. Frankly, I fully understand why people move South and West. I'd do it too, if my family wasn't here.

I don't understand the slum lord comment. Wouldn't you be the landlord if you rented out the place?

Old 06-02-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Maybe 20% tops and that is for Madison and Oneida counties. If not for all of Central NY.

Yes, I live in NY and I just live within my means. I take advantage of exemptions that are available and made choices in the past to keep myself from getting into debt. Home prices in Oneida aren't that high and vary by location. So, I don't know. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

CNYHomes - Homes for Sale in Syracuse and Central New York - Your Search Results

US2010

Last edited by Yac; 06-19-2012 at 06:10 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 11:45 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
I meant her(I think its a her) but I wasn't clear.

I wish I could get in on this exemptions thing. I hear about them here but it must be some secret club or something (military one I know about).

I actually carry zero debt outside the house so 58K from now your gonna see a Uhaul going about 90 and ya best get out of the way!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York