Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 06:17 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,796,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
This may well be the most bestest post in CD history.

Way to often here all we hear about is the rosy side of life. Mostly from people living in the super safe and expensive suburbs or the 2K/Month "lofts".

The millions who still live in NY in the small towns are getting forgotten. We dump so much money into dead cities that are beyond repair.

I think it could still be possible to save many places in NY. I'm lost why its not even tried. New devolpements get built every day needing new roads, water and sewer systems and the whole nine. Meanwhile hundreds/thousands of these systems are already in place all over the state.

The list of problems is long and solutions touch on taboo subjects that nobody wants to talk about. Things like Section 8 that allow welfare people to destroy neighborhoods. Police forces that are useless. Why gangbangers seem to have guns and taxpayers don't.

But nope, lets not talk about and fix the issues. Lets just walk away build another new development for the rich, let the scums have the old and force the middle class to different states.
Thanks. I personally think the mindset of people is changing. Under Bush, I think people consumed more, bought Hummers and McMansions. That was the 9/11/2001 - 2010 mentality. Now, I think (hope) that the dead cities of yesterday become the affordable cities of 2012 and beyond.

I remember a time when everyone in NYC and NJ were beating a path to the Poconos. They couldn't build McMansions in the Poconos fast enough. Everyone wanted to live in a large house, on a acre of land, in a gated community. They wanted to disconnect from society, because cities like the Bronx, Bklyn, Queens, Paterson, Newark, etc were horrible. The news scared people into the horrors of city life by showing menacing black faces on TV.

Nowadays, the Poconos is mostly a sea of abandoned homes and dangerous gated communities. An old house in the Poconos is from the 1980's and no one wants them. Parents waking up at 3 am and commuting to jobs in the city, only to return at 8 pm, its a terrible life. No jobs ever relocated to the Poconos. And now in 2012, most people are just living near or even in cities like Paterson and Newark and fixing up old houses. I hope this continues and increases, especially in Syracuse, Oneida, Binghamton, etc.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:29 PM

92,061 posts, read 122,262,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Thanks. I personally think the mindset of people is changing. Under Bush, I think people consumed more, bought Hummers and McMansions. That was the 9/11/2001 - 2010 mentality. Now, I think (hope) that the dead cities of yesterday become the affordable cities of 2012 and beyond.

I remember a time when everyone in NYC and NJ were beating a path to the Poconos. They couldn't build McMansions in the Poconos fast enough. Everyone wanted to live in a large house, on a acre of land, in a gated community. They wanted to disconnect from society, because cities like the Bronx, Bklyn, Queens, Paterson, Newark, etc were horrible. The news scared people into the horrors of city life by showing menacing black faces on TV.

Nowadays, the Poconos is mostly a sea of abandoned homes and dangerous gated communities. An old house in the Poconos is from the 1980's and no one wants them. Parents waking up at 3 am and commuting to jobs in the city, only to return at 8 pm, its a terrible life. No jobs ever relocated to the Poconos. And now in 2012, most people are just living near or even in cities like Paterson and Newark and fixing up old houses. I hope this continues and increases, especially in Syracuse, Oneida, Binghamton, etc.
It is already occurring in the form of Downtown living and even small cities/towns like Oswego and Richfield Springs are getting in on the act. People realize that the bones/original infrastructure of these communities shouldn't go to waste. Even a village like Liverpool has apartments in its Business District. I think that such projects are just under the radar though.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:57 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,250,718 times
We don't have gated communities per se here but its just as bad in towns like Fayetteville and others. Even parts of Oneida.

I drive a beat up old car because I'm cheap with a buck and could give two chits what people think of my hooptie. I get in one of the nicer towns and I can guarandamntee I'll pick up a cop. Even Sherrill was bad like that until they found meth in the chiefs 5 YO grandson and fired him.

DT Oneida has some "lofts" that are so beautiful, from the outside. They are all over the several head shops. 15 years I been here and no one has ever fixed them up. 15 years from now I bet they are still empty or fallen down.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
We don't have gated communities per se here but its just as bad in towns like Fayetteville and others. Even parts of Oneida.

I drive a beat up old car because I'm cheap with a buck and could give two chits what people think of my hooptie. I get in one of the nicer towns and I can guarandamntee I'll pick up a cop. Even Sherrill was bad like that until they found meth in the chiefs 5 YO grandson and fired him.

DT Oneida has some "lofts" that are so beautiful, from the outside. They are all over the several head shops. 15 years I been here and no one has ever fixed them up. 15 years from now I bet they are still empty or fallen down.
Or fixed up due to its proximity to Syracuse, Utica, Rome, Turning Stone and Sylvan Beach. If your hometown can revamp old apartments, it is possible for Oneida to do so. It depends on the demand and if people are aware of the potential of having that type of housing.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:23 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,250,718 times
I remember a couple years ago going to Howe Caverns and telling everyone we'd be passing through my old home. I warned them that while that area had never gotten as bad as this area be prepared to see an area past its prime.

Well shiver me timbers batman if Coby, Richfield and so forth didn't look all spiffy. I was right proud to show of the old home!!!

But it never got as bad there and its a very pretty area so kinda makes people wanna make it look all nice nice.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:58 PM

Here are a few of the apartments inn smaller communities: Residential Properties For Rent - JGB Properties, LLC

and lofts in Oswego: Residential Properties For Rent - JGB Properties, LLC

Old 06-03-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is already occurring in the form of Downtown living and even small cities/towns like Oswego and Richfield Springs are getting in on the act. People realize that the bones/original infrastructure of these communities shouldn't go to waste. Even a village like Liverpool has apartments in its Business District. I think that such projects are just under the radar though.
So, do you recommend a single, 30-something to buy a home in the city? Are there parts of the city that are virtually crime-free? I'm not afraid of many people but I don't want to experience a home invasion or have my car stolen either.

On the computer screen, some streets in Eastwood look really nice, Lincoln Hills, Meadowbrook and maybe the Westside? I love areas with older, established housing stock, lots of treed lots. Westside seems to have hills which I like. Something like this I really like a lot:

Google Maps

Also, are these established neighborhoods welcoming to newcomers? I am an Italian and therefore, the idea of Eastwood or East Syracuse does appeal to me (not to the exclusion of anyone else, but if I bring a nice Italian girl home to meet Mom, life would be great )

Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
So, do you recommend a single, 30-something to buy a home in the city? Are there parts of the city that are virtually crime-free? I'm not afraid of many people but I don't want to experience a home invasion or have my car stolen either.

On the computer screen, some streets in Eastwood look really nice, Lincoln Hills, Meadowbrook and maybe the Westside? I love areas with older, established housing stock, lots of treed lots. Westside seems to have hills which I like. Something like this I really like a lot:

Google Maps

Also, are these established neighborhoods welcoming to newcomers? I am an Italian and therefore, the idea of Eastwood or East Syracuse does appeal to me (not to the exclusion of anyone else, but if I bring a nice Italian girl home to meet Mom, life would be great )
Most of Eastwood, much of Lincoln Hill(preferably closer to James Street), Tipperary Hill on the West Side, Court-Woodlawn on the North Side, Meadowbrook, Strathmore, Sedgwick, Scottholm, Westcott, South Valley and much of Outer Comstock(preferably off of Comstock and the outer part of Jamesville Ave.) are fine. You may even like the Piercefield area of Solvay, which is a community with one of the highest Italian percentages in the country or Lyncourt(especially west of Teall Ave.), which also has one of the highest percentages of Italians for a community in the U.S. Both Solvay and
Lyncourt, which is in the town of Salina, are first ring suburbs. Eastwood and the North
Side neighborhoods were and to some degree, are where Italians in Syracuse are concentrated. So, you have options in the area.

P.S.- That area of Eastwood is very nice.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-03-2012 at 09:10 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 11:28 AM

Are the areas that are considered "fine" similar in crime to the burbs? Or is it generally understood that the city area, even the best ones like Strathmore and Sedgwick, will have higher crime than the burbs? I know Syracuse is very block by block, that's what concerns me. Good areas could turn bad quick.

That said, I really, really like that area of Eastwood.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Are the areas that are considered "fine" similar in crime to the burbs? Or is it generally understood that the city area, even the best ones like Strathmore and Sedgwick, will have higher crime than the burbs? I know Syracuse is very block by block, that's what concerns me. Good areas could turn bad quick.

That said, I really, really like that area of Eastwood.
I'd say that it is on par, give or take. Around here, it is pretty easy to spot. Some parts of the city can be block by block, but there are areas that rival any suburb in the area(think Sedgwick, Strathmore, Scottholm, Meadowbrook, Bradford Hills/Heights, South Valley, most of Eastwood and Court-Woodlawn for examples). So, it is like any other city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York