Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:25 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
I guess oxyMORON would rather have metal detectors than prayers in her school!
What an uninformed comment...I live and work in a NY school and we have no metal detectors but there's no narrow mindedness either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 07:05 PM

50 posts, read 172,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
We've been living in NE Florida for 3 1/2 years. There are thing we like and things we don't. It's great to wear flip flops 12 months a year. It's great to visit the Keys and go to the beach once in a while. It's hard for us to live with the rebel flag and prayer in public school. We're considering moving back to WNY or Finger Lakes region, but we're not sure.

We're teachers and we have two school-aged kids, if that bit of info helps at all.

Has anyone else out there left WNY and moved back? Are you happy? Do you regret it? What should we make sure we consider in making our decision?

Thanks!
Don't come here, move to Canada instead...land of the liberals.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:10 PM

148 posts, read 647,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
Yes, and almost ALL of them are puerto ricans. For those who don't know, since 1917 any puerto rican, regardless of whether they were born in puerto rico or in the u.s. IS AN AMERICAN CITIZEN!
I just drove through the entire town of Dunkirk today. Trash all over the streets, boarded up buildings, the Purina Cat Food plant stunk so bad in the humidity that it was making me sick, the ancient coal fired power plant that was noted as the dirtiest in the nation was belching smoke on the shores of Lake Erie right near the center of town, Spanish was the language I heard more than English, gang members were out on Central Ave right near the police station drinking 40 oz malt liquor bottles........real nice town.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:32 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itSmellsBAD View Post
I just drove through the entire town of Dunkirk today. Trash all over the streets, boarded up buildings, the Purina Cat Food plant stunk so bad in the humidity that it was making me sick, the ancient coal fired power plant that was noted as the dirtiest in the nation was belching smoke on the shores of Lake Erie right near the center of town, Spanish was the language I heard more than English, gang members were out on Central Ave right near the police station drinking 40 oz malt liquor bottles........real nice town.
"No Cat Food Factory in MY Backyard".......

What a bumper sticker!

Old 10-26-2007, 05:09 PM

113 posts, read 341,988 times
Default Protect and Defend

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
It's great to wear flip flops 12 months a year. It's great to visit the Keys and go to the beach once in a while. It's hard for us to live with the rebel flag and prayer in public school.
Thanks!
I will take the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights over flip flops any day!

Old 10-26-2007, 05:27 PM

50 posts, read 172,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeTom View Post
I will take the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights over flip flops any day!
Amen, brother!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:06 PM

12 posts, read 45,883 times
Quote:

so let me guess, you're from brocton? sheridan?

your view of dunkirk seems to be that of somebody who lives in a quaint little village with a population of no more than about 500 people. anybody who says that dunkirks crime is " out of control " has quite possibly never stepped foot outside of chautauqua county.

i lived in the dunkirk area for 15 years, and i live in denver now. dunkirk certainly isn't the prettiest or most opportunistic place to live, but your input on the " crime " and trash is blatantly wrong. if anything you're coming across as a racist because i can't think of any other reason as to where your opinion is coming from. dunkirk's crime rate is 3/4 of the national average, which means that there are picket fence american suburbs that are statistically more dangerous than dunkirk. once dunkirk loses 3,000 more people over the next decade, which it almost undoubtedly will, it will be classified as a rural village just like the rest of the surrounding area. anybody who thinks dunkirk is crime-ridden or scary needs to just cash in their chips, give up, and live in their mom's basement for the rest of their life.

furthermore out here in the west, spanish is used almost equally as much as english in a lot of places, both nice and otherwise. your attempt to downplay the town because spanish is prevalent is another example of your transparent racism. you're directly using the fact that spanish is common there as an insult, and i got news for you; it's an ongoing trend all over america that you better get use to.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:35 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
don't mind smells or it's commments. It was a troll that posted on this forum a lot a while ago basically slamming anything and everything they could about Upstate NY. They've stopped posting to the joy of pretty much everyone on this forum. That was one of their more civil posts if you can believe it.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:28 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Quote:
Please don't come back. As teachers that means you will get a tax free pension that I will have to pay for once you retire and move BACK to Florida as most NY teachers do. The taxes here are so out of control and most of it is due to mandated increases caused by out of control school taxes. We need people willing to work in the Private Sector. Not more government pension seekers. Please think of us. We're maxed out. $90,000 house, 1300 sq. ft @ $4200 property/school taxes. Thanks
I think this has to be one of the most obnoxious ANTI Teacher comments I have yet to read... AS A NYS CERTIFIED TEACHER. Let's put it into simple terms... Today's tuition at the college I graduated from is approx $30K- Multiply that by four years- $120K (and we aren't calculating the cost of living on campus- that is just the education). Now, keep in mind that NYS REQUIRES all teachers to attain a MASTERS within- I believe- three years of graduation... Now, I was lucky and my Masters was ONLY a mere $15K/yr (8 yrs ago)- that took two years... so that is another $30K you can add to the EDUCATION total- making it a mere $150K to go into a profession where you start at about $30K ($26K when I started 8 yrs ago)and the pay scale isn't that grand. I am in Tier Four... the lowest tier- if you do not know about the Tier System, I suggest you do your research. I will NEVER retire with the pensions you are complaining about... that was the BABY BOOMER Generation who will be given the GOLDEN TICKET. Also, you can take that $150K that teachers spend in order to EDUCATE YOUR CHILDREN and keep in mind that most schools are cutting many benefits- ie I had NO Eye or Dental coverage as a teacher and I do wear glasses and I do not have the best teeth out there. I have a mortgage, children of my own, AND I PAY TAXES TOO- and if people out there honestly believe ALL of the taxes they pay go to Teacher Retirement you must be joking.... Do you realize I put money away for retirement as a teacher? It was actually TAKEN OUT OF MY PAYCHECK each and every other Friday! I earned what very little I will be getting in my retirement...Especially since I was the Yearbook Editor and put hours upon hours into each book with only $300/yr to show for it, I stayed late to help students when they didn't understand a certain subject, gave up my own free time for sporting events, school dances, fund raisers... the list goes on and the pay did not increase... I then went home and wrote lesson plans and corrected papers. Some might say my summers were my own, but let's be honest... when you get paid a SMALL lump sum in June you are counting your pennies by the end of August and are forced to take on a summer job... Just a little education on the LIFE of a TEACHER and why it matters WHERE they retire to is beyond me... why can't the live WHERE they want like everyone else? And I pay $7K in taxes and fully understand that NOT ALL OF it pays for teacher retirement... how do you like those sports your kids play? The art supplies in the classroom? New flute or piano? How about that brand new sod on that back field? Did a building just redo their floors? Add on a wing? Do your research...

Last edited by skbs; 06-09-2008 at 03:42 PM..

Old 06-10-2008, 06:48 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I think this has to be one of the most obnoxious ANTI Teacher comments I have yet to read... AS A NYS CERTIFIED TEACHER. Let's put it into simple terms... Today's tuition at the college I graduated from is approx $30K- Multiply that by four years- $120K (and we aren't calculating the cost of living on campus- that is just the education). Now, keep in mind that NYS REQUIRES all teachers to attain a MASTERS within- I believe- three years of graduation... Now, I was lucky and my Masters was ONLY a mere $15K/yr (8 yrs ago)- that took two years... so that is another $30K you can add to the EDUCATION total- making it a mere $150K to go into a profession where you start at about $30K ($26K when I started 8 yrs ago)and the pay scale isn't that grand. I am in Tier Four... the lowest tier- if you do not know about the Tier System, I suggest you do your research. I will NEVER retire with the pensions you are complaining about... that was the BABY BOOMER Generation who will be given the GOLDEN TICKET. Also, you can take that $150K that teachers spend in order to EDUCATE YOUR CHILDREN and keep in mind that most schools are cutting many benefits- ie I had NO Eye or Dental coverage as a teacher and I do wear glasses and I do not have the best teeth out there. I have a mortgage, children of my own, AND I PAY TAXES TOO- and if people out there honestly believe ALL of the taxes they pay go to Teacher Retirement you must be joking.... Do you realize I put money away for retirement as a teacher? It was actually TAKEN OUT OF MY PAYCHECK each and every other Friday! I earned what very little I will be getting in my retirement...Especially since I was the Yearbook Editor and put hours upon hours into each book with only $300/yr to show for it, I stayed late to help students when they didn't understand a certain subject, gave up my own free time for sporting events, school dances, fund raisers... the list goes on and the pay did not increase... I then went home and wrote lesson plans and corrected papers. Some might say my summers were my own, but let's be honest... when you get paid a SMALL lump sum in June you are counting your pennies by the end of August and are forced to take on a summer job... Just a little education on the LIFE of a TEACHER and why it matters WHERE they retire to is beyond me... why can't the live WHERE they want like everyone else? And I pay $7K in taxes and fully understand that NOT ALL OF it pays for teacher retirement... how do you like those sports your kids play? The art supplies in the classroom? New flute or piano? How about that brand new sod on that back field? Did a building just redo their floors? Add on a wing? Do your research...

You go girl!!
Teachers are so da*n underpaid and overworked--everyone knows this. They are now in the direct line of fire, so to speak, from every psycho kid and his parents, too. They really need combat pay in some school systems. Teaching, to me, must be one of theee most stressful jobs you can have. Whatever they get, they deserve...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York