Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:46 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times

Advertisements

spare me please....this is a very beautiful area...i've lived here for a total of over 30 years now. Rochester is not nearly as bad as Buffalo, and is not a rustbelt city in all reality. Property taxes are ALMOST (i'm not crazy) worth it to be in an area with good schools that are MUCH better run than those down south (I'm saying this, and I live in Greece!). If you don't see the natural beauty of the greater Rochester area you aren't opening your eyes and are very close minded. I'm sick to death of you doom and gloom naysayers making it sound like I'm stupid for coming back to WNY. If you think there is nothing good about this area then that's fine, you don't live here. You didn't like it and you left, good for you. But how dare you judge me for brining my family back to a place where we were happier at and feel at home....btw, no we don't rent, we closed on our beautfiul 4 bedroom 2 bath house with a finished basement and half acre yard for under $170k last month...property taxes are 3800, and IMO not too much of a price to pay for being in a great and naturally beautiful COMMUNITY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 08:02 PM

148 posts, read 647,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
Western New York is notorious for outrageous property taxes, but the price of property is much lower than most places in the U.S. I wonder if it evens out.

As for Rochester vs. Finger Lakes...I love the Finger Lakes region. We visited this summer and thought it was absolutely beautiful, but if we can't get jobs there, we can't live there.
Finger Lakes region is FACTORY FARM country. The Finger Lakes stink of manure slurry months at a time. SIX MILLION GALLON Manure Lagoon near the lovely, upscale Finger Lakes town town of Shaneateles NY. See the manure spill link below:

Welcome to CAFO HELL: 25,000 Gallon Manure Spill in Skaneateles, NY. (broken link)

Old 09-23-2007, 08:09 PM

148 posts, read 647,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
. It's hard for us to live with the rebel flag and prayer in public school. We're considering moving back to WNY or Finger Lakes region, but we're not sure.

We're teachers and we have two school-aged kids, if that bit of info helps at all.
Oh the HORROR! Prayer in the public schools?? What a horrible burden. I can't imagine such a thing! It must be very hard for you to deal with something that sickening. Thank GOD I live in NY!

Old 09-23-2007, 10:15 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
spare me please....this is a very beautiful area...i've lived here for a total of over 30 years now. Rochester is not nearly as bad as Buffalo, and is not a rustbelt city in all reality. Property taxes are ALMOST (i'm not crazy) worth it to be in an area with good schools that are MUCH better run than those down south (I'm saying this, and I live in Greece!). If you don't see the natural beauty of the greater Rochester area you aren't opening your eyes and are very close minded. I'm sick to death of you doom and gloom naysayers making it sound like I'm stupid for coming back to WNY. If you think there is nothing good about this area then that's fine, you don't live here. You didn't like it and you left, good for you. But how dare you judge me for brining my family back to a place where we were happier at and feel at home....btw, no we don't rent, we closed on our beautfiul 4 bedroom 2 bath house with a finished basement and half acre yard for under $170k last month...property taxes are 3800, and IMO not too much of a price to pay for being in a great and naturally beautiful COMMUNITY.

rbj shows that after the top 5 schools the graduation rate is 80% or less. Most being in the range of 65-80%. With the city of rochester graduation rate is 39%.(One of the worst in the state)
In the Rochester region — Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans and Wayne counties — the average percentage of students who graduate from high school within four years is about 76 percent
Democrat & Chronicle: Local News
grad rates for Greece Central School District 2005 78.81% 2006 79.64% rank 15 out 18 districts in rochester area Graduation Rates

Old 09-24-2007, 04:54 AM

491 posts, read 1,433,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itSmellsBAD View Post
Please don't come back. As teachers that means you will get a tax free pension that I will have to pay for once you retire and move BACK to Florida as most NY teachers do. The taxes here are so out of control and most of it is due to mandated increases caused by out of control school taxes. We need people willing to work in the Private Sector. Not more government pension seekers. Please think of us. We're maxed out. $90,000 house, 1300 sq. ft @ $4200 property/school taxes. Thanks
It's not like this person is going to come back and they are just going to make a new position for them. They would take a position that someone else would have had anyways. WNY loses so many people a year, we need new educated people moving in, we should never turn them away.

Taxes are high, but property values are low so it evens itself out.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:32 PM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times
Quote:
Finger Lakes region is FACTORY FARM country. The Finger Lakes stink of manure slurry months at a time. SIX MILLION GALLON Manure Lagoon near the lovely, upscale Finger Lakes town town of Shaneateles NY. See the manure spill link below:

Welcome to CAFO HELL: 25,000 Gallon Manure Spill in Skaneateles, NY. (broken link)
So approximately Wednesday, July 12 2007 is when this spill occurred? I was in Skaneateles for the entire month of July... not once did I smell manure and I didn't get sick. I also did considerable amount of hiking and biking in the area. Not to mention I googled the address of the farm and it is at least one mile from the lake.

I do not like factory farms either, but you're basically a troll at this point. You should restrict your CAFO poop rants to CAFO poop rants-related threads.

I think you're afraid of losing your town (wherever that is) to outsiders. Scare tactics won't work, sorry. Your audience here at CD is way more diligent than the average forum crowd.

Now, a moment of silence for the 100 minnows destroyed in the Skaneateles Cow Turd Kill of 2007.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:36 PM

38 posts, read 168,381 times
Quote:
Oh the HORROR! Prayer in the public schools?? What a horrible burden. I can't imagine such a thing! It must be very hard for you to deal with something that sickening. Thank GOD I live in NY!

I sense a hint of sarcasm in your reply. My point about prayer in public school is that there is a strong legal precedent in our country against prayer in school when it is organized by a school official and/or preacher at the request of a school official. It is disheartening when school officials put their own personal beliefs above the law and the beliefs of their students.

I prefer to work for an educational institution that respects students' rights.

In my experience, "Northerners" are much more tolerant of differences between people and more congnizant of the laws regarding separation between church and state.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:36 PM

140 posts, read 301,050 times
We used to live in NYC, almost 6 years ago we moved to Central Florida. We absolutelly regrets. ASAP our things gets together we will be moving back, probably to NJ.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
It's not like this person is going to come back and they are just going to make a new position for them. They would take a position that someone else would have had anyways. WNY loses so many people a year, we need new educated people moving in, we should never turn them away.

Taxes are high, but property values are low so it evens itself out.
Thank you!

Old 09-24-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andzia74 View Post
We used to live in NYC, almost 6 years ago we moved to Central Florida. We absolutelly regrets this move to Florida. We just have to get things together, and after all our priority will be move back, hopefully ASAP!!
Do you mind sharing why you regret your move?

I am really curious about other people's experiences. I guess it helps to know that there are others like us out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York