Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:05 AM

10 posts, read 36,012 times

Advertisements

I'm possibly going to move back to NY state, after just moving to Oregon, to be closer to my brother in Middletown. I am a single woman with no kids, on a lower income, and in need of good mental health services. Since i'm already familiar with the politics and economy of the state, what is it like in Poughkeepsie as far as shopping, parks, schools, restaurants and nightlife go ? How about finding an apartment for a decent price in a good, safe neighborhood ? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 11:28 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
I have no idea, but the New York Times just had an article on Poughkeepsie in last Sunda'y Real Estate section. You can probably find it online.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:15 PM

29 posts, read 137,685 times
Default Poughkeepsie

It's not bad....depending on how much you want to spend for an apartment. Lots of restaurants, and 2 good local hospitals. Vassar and Marist colleges are here, and many historic areas.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:12 PM

45 posts, read 261,557 times
in recent years i've had to move several places because of my job (or lack thereof) and a few months ago i moved away from poughkeepsie. i have to say, it was with some relief that i did so. and i would never consider moving back there.

i found it an unfriendly place. i worked in downtown pok and never found there to be any decent shopping nearby plus it was close to a rather bad area. one day while going to the (historic) post office i encountered a dead rat in the middle of the sidewalk. i told the workers inside the p.o. and they didn't care about it.

it's true there's a lot of shopping on route 9, but it's a huge strip mall, to my way of thinking. the shops have no character. there's all the big ones, target, kohls, BJs, Wal-Mart, places like that but on Saturday's Route 9 is a giant parking lot -- and don't even consider shopping on "black friday".

the city of pok has very historic areas as well as slums. personally, i didn't care for it and actually lived outside of pok in Hyde Park and LaGrangeville.

if you have kids, beware the pok schools are hideous and dangerous. you should try to live in the Arlington city school district, which is much, much better and you'd be there if you're anywhere east of pok (town of pok, which is different than city of pok, lagrangeville area is ok)

i don't know much about across the hudson river, altho i do know that prices seem to be lower there, a little more rural than pok, too.

i apologise to peeps living there who love it. this is just my opinion.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:15 PM

10,179 posts, read 11,159,885 times
I lived in Poughkeepsie years ago - Would I return? Heck no.

There are some nice areas and alot of slum areas. Tons of shopping - eateries, etc.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:18 AM

88 posts, read 530,419 times
Default Pk

I lived in Poughkeepsie and still go there frequently to visit family. As far as pricing for apartments go it depends on what part of pk you are looking to move to. If you are willing to live in not the best neighborhood, city of poughkeepsie, you can get something cheap (i.e. 3 bedroom for $900). I'm orginally from the NYC so to me Poughkeepsie's version of a bad neighborhood is a joke. If you are looking to live in more decent area, town of poughkeepsie, you are looking at more money (i.e 2 bedroom for approx. $900-1,200)

Hope this is helpful.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:56 PM

37 posts, read 220,116 times
just look in middletown. rents prob cheaper there and "Occupations" is a major mental health organization there.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:54 AM

6 posts, read 34,780 times
Upstate Is Still Newyork But Its Not Part Of Newyorkcity Also They Lifestyle Is Like Florida Anywhere Else Except Newyorkcity Boroughs Which Are Queens , Brooklyn , Manhattan , Bronx , And Staten Island Those Are The Activity Places Not Like Upstate You Can Compare It To Florida South Carolina Etc.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:41 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,388 times
Why do some people post with all words starting with caps? Makes it impossible to read.

The only thing I know about Pough is that there was a serial killer, and they made a movie about it.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:29 PM

52 posts, read 246,299 times
I am originally from southern Dutchess County, and spent a lot of time in Poughkeepsie. There seems to be an abundance of restaurants in that area. However, shopping is limited to the same 'ole, same 'ole big box stores. The Poughkeepsie Galleria (their main mall) is a total joke. I would travel to Woodbury, or down to Westchester and Danbury to shop. There is some nightlife, popular nightclubs and bars are scattered throughout the west side of the county. The school district is less than desirable. Personally, I don't like Poughkeepsie.

I took a trip back to Dutchess County recently, and I was pleasantly surprised at how far Beacon has come in the last few years. Beacon had gotten a bad reputation throughout the years as a higher crime, run down city. Sort of a smaller scale Poughkeepsie. Now it is obvious that people have invested quite a bit of money into their homes and businesses and has become a commuter city on the river. The school district is decent, not the best, not the worst by any stretch. Perhaps that could be an option for you, as it is only 20 minutes from Middletown. I love the Hudson Valley, and I prefer the east side of the river, but the west side of the Hudson is definitely less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York