Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:40 PM

197 posts, read 522,144 times

Advertisements

My husband will be retiring in one year after doing 20 years of active duty Army. We are retiring in the North Country (Watertown) area.
1. Approx. How much state taxes would be taken from an average yearly income of 40,000. Right now mu husband claims Florida as his home of record and since they have no state taxes none are currently taken out of his check, only ss and fica are taken, so we have no idea how this works.
2. Are there personal property taxes on cars when you go to get tags. Here in Kansas we have a 2010 dodge charger and each year that we go to renew our tags we have to pay 360 for taxes plus the renewal and tag fee for a total of over 400 dollars
We were stationed at Fort Drum, (Watertown area) for 5 years and I loved it there, we were moved 4 years ago by the Army and I can not wait to get back to the most beautiful state I have ever seen !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 04:17 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times
It can't even be guess at. For example 40001$ is a different rate then 40000$. How many kids and the whole nine yards. 2.5K$ is what it works out to without kids.

If Kansas has sales tax it will be lower then NY. As long as you can prove you payed that tax you will only have to pay the difference. Quick Goggle shows you'll owe about 500$ in tax. If you used a military exemption you'll owe it in full (per the NYS DMV website). Then the plates are a buck. Registration should be 100$ plus. Title change is 50$. Figger 6-7 hundred bucks out the door.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:24 PM

no we didnt use military exemption here because i purcahsed the car in my name while he was deployed. and we claim 3 on our taxes. Our sales tax here is 9.75% so im pretty sure it isnt lower then ny.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:34 PM

Looks like your one of the unlucky ones, in Kanasas, just glancing there rates seems lower with afew exceptions.

By claiming three I can't even guess. 40K and three kids in NY most likely will qualify for assistance. For sure get in on all sorts of first time home buyers stuff. Most likely get some help with heat bills also.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:42 PM

Yeah I swear this place is so expensive. I never dreamed Kansas would have such high taxes, I believe it is because there is the Army base and the state college here in this area, so they tax the crap out of us.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:48 PM

Never been to Kansas, most likely won't except to say I have LOL.

Looks like you can get some help with your bills at 40K.

Payment Assistance Programs (NY)

40K in NY don't go very far so hit every program you can.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:53 PM

Thanks, and yeah dont come here you arent missing much lol
I only say 40,000 because that is my husbands base pay right now in the Army, im hoping he will get more once he is out.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:12 PM

655 posts, read 2,327,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWife94e View Post
My husband will be retiring in one year after doing 20 years of active duty Army. We are retiring in the North Country (Watertown) area.
1. Approx. How much state taxes would be taken from an average yearly income of 40,000. Right now mu husband claims Florida as his home of record and since they have no state taxes none are currently taken out of his check, only ss and fica are taken, so we have no idea how this works.
2. Are there personal property taxes on cars when you go to get tags. Here in Kansas we have a 2010 dodge charger and each year that we go to renew our tags we have to pay 360 for taxes plus the renewal and tag fee for a total of over 400 dollars
We were stationed at Fort Drum, (Watertown area) for 5 years and I loved it there, we were moved 4 years ago by the Army and I can not wait to get back to the most beautiful state I have ever seen !
Hello ArmyWife & Husband,

#1.) I'm not sure how your army retirement income will be treated. I do know that some retired ex-federal employees pay NO New York State income taxes at all. Maybe City-Data Member "ckhthankgod" has information for you about that part of your inquiry since I believe he served at Ft. Drum as did your husband.

#2.) There are NO personal property taxes on your vehicles in New York State. You only pay for registration ("new tags") fee, the cost of which is based on/depends on what type vehicle description/factors relate to your particular kind of vehicle; the fee involved (for your stated 2010 Dodge) will not in anyway be anywhere close to the $400 dollars you mention charged in Kansas.

You are correct. The sales tax is lower than Kansas 9.75% in the NYS North Country area to where you may be relocating. The sales tax rate in both Jefferson County and Lewis County is 7.750% which is 2% lower than in Kansas. In Onondaga County/Metro Syracuse where I live, the sales tax rate is 8.0% which is lower than Kansas. Other surrounding counties sales tax rates: St. Lawrence County=7.0%, Oneida County 8.750%, Madison County & Oswego County=8.00%.

Its nice to hear that you liked living in the Fort Drum/Watertown-NY area. I totally agree with you that there are many beautiful areas/villages in that region of Upstate NY State=North Country. Thinking about that area all these areas come to my mind: >>Alexandria Bay<<, Clayton, Black River village, West Carthage, streets off Route 3/home-areas between Black River & the city of Watertown, Sacketts Harbor, Henderson Harbor, the far-south neighborhoods of Watertown city, and other area villages in Jefferson County. >>Beaver Falls<<, Croghan, Lowville, New Bremen, Watson, Glenfield, (if you like lakefront)>>Brantingham Lake<<, south of Ft. Drum in Lewis County are also nice areas. Some parts of Lewis County have very reasonable home prices and very reasonable home property taxes.

If you buy a home, don't forget the heavier snowfall that comes onto the landmass=the closer you live to huge Lake Ontario.

I live in the Suburban Syracuse area but I am familiar with many parts of Upstate New York State. Welcome back to New York State.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 06-16-2012 at 05:52 PM..

Old 06-16-2012, 05:23 PM

Thank you so much, yes another wonderful thing about New York is they are on of the few states that will not tax military retirement pay. I have been to every town you mentioned and more. The only areas of New York we never visited was New York City, just because we were afraid of the big city lol Truth be told. But I love all the snow we got on Drum.
I laugh every winter here, we get 3 inches of snow and people go into a mass panic, everything closes down and the shelves are emptied in the stores. My husband and I sit back and say this isnt snow, you want snow go to drum where it is measured in feet not inches lol

Old 06-16-2012, 05:33 PM

This is what I miss so much, some pics I took before we left in 2008
Flickr: Army
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York