Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 17,601 times

Advertisements

my family were looking to move up to rockland county, lots of properties available in haverstraw, garnerville

some in good neighborhoods, some not

was wondering about the school systems there, anyone familiar with them?

familiar with spring valley school systems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 07:26 PM

277 posts, read 773,302 times
You are correct, there are some bad areas of Haverstraw and some that are perfectly fine. As for the schools, North Rockland schools are not the best in Rockland, but definately better than Spring Valley. Spring Valley I would just avoid all together. I lived there for 5 years, and it's definately not getting any better.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:29 PM

52 posts, read 567,359 times
Spring Valley and Haverstraw are about the only two areas in Rockland I would actively avoid if I were moving here.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 13,716 times
Hi I just went to look at the Harbors at Haverstraw can anyone tell me anything about the area? I am from Woodlawn in the Bronx and would like to find out as much info as possible. What are the north Rockland schools like?

Old 11-12-2007, 09:59 PM

5 posts, read 28,138 times
Default Schools in Rockland

Best I could find:

Type NCES.ed.gov in the Google Search engine and type Havenstraws zip code in

Don't know if it will help,but I think PS19 in Woodlawn is far better.

GOOD LUCK

Old 11-16-2007, 01:05 AM

11 posts, read 49,114 times
Hi NY914,
I read your post about relocating and possibly being interested
in Haverstraw.
My name is Rich.
Rockland County offers alot for your dollar than most places
closer to the city. Depending upon your price range and
lifestyle, it varies as to what villages and towns might suit
your interests best. Haverstraw is a situated along the Hudson
River and has a very nice boating marina that might interest
you. Many of the towns in rockland are diverse in demographics.
North Rockland School property taxes historically have tended
to be lower than most if not all of the other towns in the
county, which might be of interest to you, when considering
affordability.
Best Wishes,
Rich

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 11-16-2007 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: realtor solicitation

Old 02-25-2009, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 9,190 times
Wink Haverstraw is a good town.

The bark is bigger than the bite. Haverstraw has gone through many changes for the better. Yes, there was a time where the town of Haverstraw was dangerous. A lot of young teenagers had no where to go and nothing to do so they got into trouble. However, years ago they installed cameras at key locations in the town and passed a curfew so no one is allowed to congregate in public streets after a certain hour. As these steps were implemented, Haverstraw has cleaned up it's streets and a new wave of a sense of security and safety has entered. Unfortunately, there are still a few stragglers in the streets and there is low wave of crime but crime's everywhere…
In addition, Haverstraw also offers a variety of new stores, luxury living, beautiful Bed & Breakfasts, a brick museum that exhibits the rich history of Haverstraw, a beautiful village park right on the Hudson River, bike trails, international restaurants as well as an American cuisine, an art gallary, and extension of Rockland Community College, a cigar lounge (for all of you cigar lovers) and to me the most important of all since I have kids is a magnificent school system both academically and in sports programs (some top in the state!).
The beauty is all in the eyes of the beholder…. and for me Haverstraw is a beautiful place.[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 03-02-2009, 04:12 PM

151 posts, read 713,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyhook View Post
Hi I just went to look at the Harbors at Haverstraw can anyone tell me anything about the area? I am from Woodlawn in the Bronx and would like to find out as much info as possible. What are the north Rockland schools like?
If the economy was not tanking I would expect downtown Haverstraw to eventually revitalize because of the Harbors. There is and will be allot of buying power in that community looking for somewhere close to spend their money. For the time being drive or cab to grocery shopping is not too far off and there is always take out places. The malls and big box stores are only about 25 minutes away. Not many restaurants in North Rockland though.

As far as the Harbors I am not sure how well people do with it being so close to all that dust from Tilcon.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 22,603 times
Thumbs down Haverstraw is a beautiful place. NO WAY!

Rockland County Girl above wears rose colored glasses over those eyes of hers. first of, the residents of the Harbors cannot open their windows even in the summertime to enjoy their wonderful views of the river and they do not shop in downtown Haverstraw. then there is the noise factor. this is all because of the neighboring Tilcon dust plant. the Cigar bar is closed. the Brick Museum, that's pretty funny. after about 15 minutes you will learn everything you will ever need to know about bricks. another 15 mintes and you'll be finished with the art park walk. the only place worth while in Haverstraw is the marina. if you don't own a boat... take a ride on the water taxi to NYC. that wonderful school system wouldn't be the one where the four female gang members beat up another girl during their graduation celebration would it? come on now, all the money in Rockland will never change Haverstraw.

plan to spend a day there. you'll be gone by noon. believe me, i lived there for a year. i couldn't wait to move but i signed a lease. big mistake.

p.s. NEVER listen to a real estate agent! they have bankrupt America!

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-04-2009 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: hate speech
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York