Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:00 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,378,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
I'm wrong then. There were just a few real jerk customers at my old job that were from Carmel. I live over in west Danbury (exit 1 on 84) and I didn't even know there was a proposal for a mall near exit 18.
Yep...it's called Patterson Crossing & supposed to be on the east bound side of I-84. Costco & Lowes are the proposed anchor stores along with some restaurants & smaller stores. They've already cleared some land & residents along the outer edge (I think it's along Brentwood Dr) are claiming to have some water issues already because of it.

A few years back, they proposed some outlet stores across rte 311 at the same location that was blocked. They're hoping to do the same here. BTW...there was another mall that was proposed many years ago along the same area that was blocked by Putnam residents. It was then moved to CT & became the Danbury Mall.

BxRosie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 10:31 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbrakern View Post
Hello! My husband and I are coming in 2 weeks to view properties. We are seriously considering relocating from Los Angeles. The schools here are poor, and it's so expensive. We are looking at Patterson, Brewster, and Carmel in Putnam County, and Warwick, Goshen, Monroe, or Montgomery in Orange County. We need good schools for our son who is 3. We would like to have horse property if possible. Looking to be within commuting distance to go into the city to see a play, or go to a museum on a weekend. We saw some lakefront homes in Patterson, but want to make sure it is a safe area. Saw a post someone made about Brewster that was really negative, and made me feel maybe we should just stay here. All you locals please be honest. Give us the good and bad. Steer us in the right direction. This will be a big move if we make it, and all help is greatly appreciated.

Check out Montgomery lots of horse property, See if you can find any listings on Hill Ave Montgomery.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:56 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,216 times
Good heavens! The last thing rte 84 needs along its exits is more malls!

I don't know how you guys out there in Eastern NY/Danbury deal with the idiots on the road there. One little merge sign is enough to cause mayhem! And don't forget the dreaded "right lane ends" sign. In NY driver's lingo that really means "speed up in right lane till you get to the cones and force your way into the other lane" LOL!

We started driving all the way up 87 and across 90 to get up to MA because it was taking us 3-4 hours at times to get to Springfield using 84 when it should have been 2. Ok, rant over...

Old 10-07-2006, 03:54 AM
bjb

1 posts, read 3,129 times
Default Educational Resources Consulting

I have been an educator in Putnam, Dutchess, Westchester and Fairfied CT for 30+ years, as a special education teacher, Director of Pupil Services, Assistant Principal, & Director of Special Education. Private consultative services include relocation and professional organization.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 36,356 times
Default Chester - Town of

Hello,

We live within the Town of Chester, in the village of Sugar Loaf. Schools are Warwick Valley Central School System. Some Town of Chester residents have access to Monroe Schools which are also excellent. We moved here 12 years ago after missing a job in Lake Tahoe. We wanted to live as close to the mountains and rural life, but close to the NYC offerings. Most everyone commutes out of the valley to work but enjoy family life in the country. Warwick is beautiful, so is Goshen. THere are many properties now available that would be appropriate for horses. Warwick had over 100 dairy farms just 50 years ago. Most newer homes are on 2 to 5 acre lots, well water, septic systems. Access to outdoor recreation[golf, skiing, hiking, boat-fish,] is excellent. Homes are much less expensive than Westchester County where I travel for work. PLus the neighborly attitude up here is refreshing. Good luck!

Old 10-13-2006, 05:46 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,704 times
"Neighborly attitude"?

In Sugar Loaf, maybe. Warwick though has changed for the worst. McMansions all over the place, skyrocketing real estate taxes, still no train to the city, and the rudest people moving up from the city. Yes it's beautiful to look at, what few remaining views aren't ruined by developments, but we've become an exurb and the character of the Hudson Valley has given way to the character of city refugees more interested in themselves and impressing their neighbors than the community as a whole.

Case in point: Two elementary schools. First school took a $600 budget and the kids had a fun time putting on a play. The second school (which serves the new developments) thought the $600 was a joke and proceeded to spend $30,000 donated by the parents for this purpose, getting costumes from Broadway costumers, set designers, and make-up artists.

Welcome to Warwick. Home of tasteless nouveau riche with no manners and even less class.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
"Neighborly attitude"?

Welcome to Warwick. Home of tasteless nouveau riche with no manners and even less class.
But still way more affordable than Westchester.

The school should have stepped up and put a stop to the gawdiness..which is about the only term I can think of to classify 30K spent on a school play.

Heading further downstate will likely only excaberate the manners issue (or cause a decrease in the amount of home/niceness of neighborhood you can afford).

Really I hear what you are saying, I lived a good deal of my life in Northern Orange. Though here there have been some really proactive natives who have fought big developers/big business and won. And it helps that the town of Montgomery has so viciously fought overcrowding.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb View Post
I have been an educator in Putnam, Dutchess, Westchester and Fairfied CT for 30+ years, as a special education teacher, Director of Pupil Services, Assistant Principal, & Director of Special Education. Private consultative services include relocation and professional organization.
what is your opinion of the carmel school district thanks

Old 01-16-2007, 12:41 PM

138 posts, read 600,734 times
Default I just researched the area too and thought about

moving to TUXEDO PARK.

The taxes were just as high as LI. I don't know if it was because of the cost of the homes I looked at, but I personally need a beach nearby and that was my only deterrant.
Otherwise the area is beautiful and I would still consider it.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:50 PM

The % of tax is higher up here. For example, you get a home in Montgomery for 400K. That home would probably go for double that price or much more in LI. But the taxes on that home are 3.2% of Assessed Value, so your taxes minus the star discount will likely land you around 11-12K/yr. Some districts are as low as 2.4% AV. Can't remember what % Tuxedo is.

So you will save big on the home or be able to afford a bigger house for most areas in OC, but not save on the property tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York