Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:37 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I kind of got a little confused. Just to clarefy, Charlotte is one of Rochester's safest neighborhoods. South of Ridge Rd starts going downhill.
That was the point, as cities vary in that regard(as you know).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 02:01 AM

61 posts, read 114,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndicottNY View Post
I guess in terms of crime rate Newburgh, but in terms of worst neighborhoods I guess Buffalo.
I agree with you.Buffalo is a st**ky area with too many immigrants.
And it's good that vuluntear show up there and help those in need by providing food and shelters.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:36 PM

87 posts, read 372,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdavid2012 View Post
I agree with you.Buffalo is a st**ky area with too many immigrants.
And it's good that vuluntear show up there and help those in need by providing food and shelters.
Actually, not to be picky, but Buffalo was considerably better when it was almost ALL immigrants back in the day, now it's only 8.4% foreign born.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:49 PM

Here's an interesting article about Newburgh...and just for the record through the first five months of 2012 violent crime in Newburgh is up 30%.

Can FBI Agent James Gagliano Make Newburgh Safe? -- New York Magazine

Old 07-21-2012, 09:01 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,754 times
The City of Newburgh is indescribable -- you really have to see it to believe it. It is a toxic wasteland; quintessential urban blight. The streets resemble something of a movie or a video game: abandoned store fronts, gangsters, hookers, and, sadly, poverty-stricken children. About a year ago I was [quickly] driving through when I noticed a decrepit building with a poster-board sign that read: "Drugs downstairs." There is simply no way that portions of Buffalo or Rochester are worse than this place -- this city, in its entirety, is completely demoralized, a living hell. It is quite sad; as the location, 55 miles due north of NYC and right along the Hudson River is economically ideal. The sentiment that Newburgh should take cues from its sister city, Beacon, is flawed. Beacon never was close to being at Newburgh's disastrously low level. The fact that Beacon is east-of-Hudson (on the same side as NYC, think MNRR) has helped its cause. Nonetheless, it would take an extreme effort to point Newburgh in the direction of prosperity. I am curious to see what it looks like in another ten years, because I cannot imagine it being in worse shape than it is today.

->If anyone is ever downstate in the Lower Hudson Valley, Newburgh is worth a quick look, just keep your eyes to yourself and don't slow down.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Not one single good neighborhood in Camden, NJ. Or Chester, PA. Or Atlantic City, NJ. And those are just in my neck of the woods. Philly, on the other hand, is very much neighborhood by neighborhood.
Camden has a couple of decent areas, like Fairview, Stockton, and Cooper Lanning. I think the southern/western side of Atlantic City is alright as well.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:19 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Here's more about Newburgh: N e w b u r g h/R e v e a l e d - History - 1900 to 1950

N e w b u r g h/R e v e a l e d - History - 1960s to 1980s

N e w b u r g h/R e v e a l e d

Old 07-22-2012, 08:47 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,976,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
->If anyone is ever downstate in the Lower Hudson Valley, Newburgh is worth a quick look, just keep your eyes to yourself and don't slow down.
I drive all over the Northeast in my hobby of taking photos of old movie theatres for CinemaTour.com. I've been to the Bridgeport, CT, the Bronx, Providence, etc. but the only place I was actually too afraid to stop the car and get out and take a photo of a theatre was at one location in Newburgh!

Old 07-22-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
I drive all over the Northeast in my hobby of taking photos of old movie theatres for CinemaTour.com. I've been to the Bridgeport, CT, the Bronx, Providence, etc. but the only place I was actually too afraid to stop the car and get out and take a photo of a theatre was at one location in Newburgh!
A little off topic but you have some awesome pics of the theaters in Binghamton!

Old 07-23-2012, 07:26 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
No such thing as a dangerous city. Just dangerous neighborhoods.
Then, I guess, the question would be, "Which city in New York has the greatest percentage of area consisting of neighbourhoods with the greatest incidence of violent crimes?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York