Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 01:21 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times

Advertisements

Have you been to Harlem lately? Sounds like you are speaking of the Harlem 20-30 years ago, not the Harlem of today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fai0607 View Post
That's hard to say. The borough of Queens has Far Rockaway, which I unfortunately live ten or less minutes away from... and Bronx is well, the Bronx. Harlem has to be the crappiest place in the country.

Since I actually been to Far Rockaway a few times, there are a lot of ghettos and projects. Stores close VERY early (I believe 3pm-4pm?) and completly closed down too. Cops are everywhere, crack houses, subpar apartment housing {or just downright disgusting}, the Peninsula hospital closed down and graffiti all over the place.

I believe members of the ms13 is there, too. My mother and I are deathly afraid to even drive through it. Very unfortunate.

As for Harlem, I only saw pictures and boy it really gives off a third-world feel.

I'm really suprised no one brought those two places up. Sure they're not cities and located in boroughs, but they're definitely dangerous and ****ty.

Also I never heard of Buffalo being dangerous? That place always came off as boring to me. Then again to be far, I don't know much about Upstate. Just the island and especially the Queens borough near me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 06:21 PM

4 posts, read 15,999 times
and you have to remember if no one gets charged the case stays unsolved and does not show up on your list so it also goes by how many people are getting caught along with the people who just end up missing you cant judge a area off statistics. newburg is not bad ive been there and ive been to jamaica queens and parts of the bronx those are bad. drive down hudson in rochester thats bad parts of buffalo are bad newburg isnt bad. its just very small and gets a couple meth heads a year who kill eachother.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:05 PM

87 posts, read 372,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochesteryayo69 View Post
and you have to remember if no one gets charged the case stays unsolved and does not show up on your list so it also goes by how many people are getting caught along with the people who just end up missing you cant judge a area off statistics. newburg is not bad ive been there and ive been to jamaica queens and parts of the bronx those are bad. drive down hudson in rochester thats bad parts of buffalo are bad newburg isnt bad. its just very small and gets a couple meth heads a year who kill eachother.
If they find somebody who is murdered, but never catch the killer, it is still a murder. Again, it is impossible to compare Newburgh population 30,000 to the Bronx population 1,000,000+, or Rochester 200K +. But speaking simply from violent crime rate, Newburgh is much, much worse as an entire city than Rochester or the Bronx.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:48 AM

no its not still a murder its unruled as a possible suicide, and like im saying with such a small area its easy to get such a high ratio, you could check gates the surrounding suberb of rochester and theres no more then a couple thousand people and i know of atleast 3-4 murders this year so technicly that would be violent if your looking at the ratio but yet its nice home were you can be safe walking your children threw. this whole thing is what city is most dangerous not was the highest dumb ass violence ratio. like i said ive been to newburgh you can feel safe there its sure is **** isent nearly the most dangerous place in new york.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:13 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
no its not still a murder its unruled as a possible suicide, and like im saying with such a small area its easy to get such a high ratio, you could check gates the surrounding suberb of rochester and theres no more then a couple thousand people and i know of atleast 3-4 murders this year so technicly that would be violent if your looking at the ratio but yet its nice home were you can be safe walking your children threw. this whole thing is what city is most dangerous not was the highest dumb ass violence ratio. like i said ive been to newburgh you can feel safe there its sure is **** isent nearly the most dangerous place in new york.
In terms of rates, it may be. That's how they determine how "dangerous" a city is. With that said, the crime will depend on many factors and I think that is what you are basically saying. Keep in mind that there is a city and town of Newburgh. So, one will be different from the other.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:34 AM

10 posts, read 23,343 times
The cities of Poughkeepsie and Newburgh.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
So, I'm guessing you're mad because you want to claim you're from the most dangerous city in NY? And I'm calling it now, you live in Greece or somewhere like that and wanna make sure that Rochester is the hardest, most crime ridden city before you have to go back to school. Don't be mad! Rochester has a lot going for it! A violent crime rate much lower than Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Newburgh(And FYI, I hear that those three cities have a lot of unsolved and unreported, so I think that they are actually MUCH, MUCH higher than their crime rates show!) It's got some good industry, many top colleges etc.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 09-06-2012 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: deleted quote

Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
And you do realize "Violent Crime" is broader than just homicide right?

Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 AM

[quote=rochesteryayo69;25955226]/quote]
I don't think you're reading my entire posts. If you are talking a specific neighborhood, yes, obviously Buffalo, Rochester, Bronx etc. are probably going to have a worse neighborhoods, I've said that. But for an ENTIRE city, Newburgh has the highest violent crime rate. It's small enough that it almost like a very big neighborhood, you can't sum up somewhere that is 200K+, 50+ square miles as "a dangerous city". I do find it impressive you have been to all the cities that have been brought up though, and that you can come at this with an expert stance.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 09-06-2012 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: deleted quote

Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 AM

i guess in that respect you right rochester does have the south east side wich is nice like corn hill and east ave but idk newbourgh is just small and ive just never found it dangerous. like i used to live in florida for a couple months in fort pierce working at farmers markets and supposedly they were the crack capitol of the world when it came to per capita its just so small and so few incidents each incident counts for a lot more when theres less people. so i understand what your saying but still when it comes to being the most dangerous i just dont see it. like johnson city is all ****ed up all abandoned buildings like on the main street running threw downtown but its also just real small there and i wouldnt consider it dangerous i guess its just different opinions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York