Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:52 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,357,901 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think. I am interested in applying to SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Binghamton, SUNY Albany, SUNY New Paltz, SUNY Stony Brook, Syracuse University, University of Rochester, Barnard College, Columbia, NYU, and Pace University. I know that is a huge and I'm sorry, but that's the reason I'm here.

I will soon be applying for colleges, and am coming here for info. I was wondering if I could get some personal experience on these universities since the only things I know are the good aspects from the university websites.

I took a mock SAT last year and got 510, 550, and 570 in critical reading, math and writing, respectively. I'm positive I did better this year, because I didn't know enough math last year, so hopefully, all of my scores will be over 550, maybe even 600. My GPA will be 4.0 or higher, and I am very involved in school activities and clubs.

So, with that said, where do you think I should apply to, because I don't want to apply to too many colleges. Also, which one is in a great area that mixes liveliness with safeness.

Thanks for any replies ahead of time. If you have any suggestions, feel free to say them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 10:31 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,273,142 times
It might help to know what field you're interested in studying.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
What do you guys think. I am interested in applying to SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Binghamton, SUNY Albany, SUNY New Paltz, SUNY Stony Brook, Syracuse University, University of Rochester, Barnard College, Columbia, NYU, and Pace University. I know that is a huge and I'm sorry, but that's the reason I'm here.

I will soon be applying for colleges, and am coming here for info. I was wondering if I could get some personal experience on these universities since the only things I know are the good aspects from the university websites.

I took a mock SAT last year and got 510, 550, and 570 in critical reading, math and writing, respectively. I'm positive I did better this year, because I didn't know enough math last year, so hopefully, all of my scores will be over 550, maybe even 600. My GPA will be 4.0 or higher, and I am very involved in school activities and clubs.

So, with that said, where do you think I should apply to, because I don't want to apply to too many colleges. Also, which one is in a great area that mixes liveliness with safeness.

Thanks for any replies ahead of time. If you have any suggestions, feel free to say them.
no brainer
the college that accepts your gi bill.
dont even think of a student loan.
standard hire procedure is review trw. arrears will make you 100% unemployable.
dont go there.
army will give you 47k sign on a 50k gi bill right here right now.
if interested in nursing hugh opportunity.
that should do it.
biggest depreciating item next to a new car.
a college degree.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-30-2007, 10:42 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,357,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
It might help to know what field you're interested in studying.
sorry. i forgot to mention that.

either dentistry, pharmacy, something with geography, or something with demography/populations and cities.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:47 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,273,142 times
Albany, I believe has a good pharmacy program and the field pays well. No off-shoring either. The NYC schools are going to be a completely different atmosphere than the rest, very urban, expensive.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:16 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,820,073 times
SUNY Buffalo has both dentistry and pharmacy. Also an architecture school w/urban planning. The cost of living here is very low & there are many nice student apts. near the North Campus of SUNY Buffalo for students as well as dorms.............Check the ratings in each area.

What can I say? I am a bit biased...I moved here in the 1960s to go to SUNY Buffalo.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:26 AM

91 posts, read 474,033 times
Quote:

In terms of quality I would rank them as in the following groups:
1. Columbia
2. UofR, Binghamton, NYU
3. Stony Brook, Buffalo, Albany, Syracuse
4. New Paltz, Pace

I would apply to groups 2 and 3 if I were you. You will not get into Columbia with those SAT scores, even if you have a family history there. The #4 group is below you based on your GPA unless you are looking for a scholarship or some type of honors college within them. Expect to get into probably all of the #3's and at least one of the #2's.

I actually went to binghamton about a decade ago, nice school, I would recommend it. If you can get your SAT's over 2000, with your grades/extra then you might consider neary ivy schools or the lower end of ivy (ie. cornell). With about an 1800 then the UofR, Binghamton, NYU level is about right. You should consider applying to cornell as your stretch school, if you do well on the sat's its more reasonable, but still not likely, than columbia.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
sorry. i forgot to mention that.

either dentistry, pharmacy, something with geography, or something with demography/populations and cities.

FYI. I have a friend in a pharmacy program. He told me that it esentially does not matter what pharmacy school you go too as you will get a similar type of job and pay regardless. What he highly recommends is finding a program that will admit you with guaranteed admission to the pharmacy school. Pharmacy school is hard to get into so if you get in from highschool it will be a big stress relief as you will not have wasted four years of undergrad and then not get in. I know that SUNY Buffalo has a special program like this with guaranteed direct admission to the pharmacy school. This is something to highly consider if you want to do pharmacy.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
Quote:

You've got a wide range of schools there. I think you should apply to all of them if you can. Just break them up like this,

Schools you don't think you'll get into, but you never know

Your first choice schools

Second choice

Third choice or Emergency schools (Schools you don't really like as much but just in case you don't get in everywhere else, worst case scenario)

I think the SUNY's can be excellent depending on what you study. SUNY Buffalo IMO, is the best school overall amongst the SUNY's. I think it surpassed Binghamton in recent years. It has better facilities and seems to have happier students. Statistically though I think Binghamanton is usually ranked first then Buffalo then Stony Brook. Stony Brook is investing a lot of money into the school and they are making up a lot of ground. I like Stony Brook because it is very flexible. They are making a serious effort to make the campus atmosphere livelier there, but at the same time it is only 2 hours away from the city.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 10-01-2007 at 10:24 AM..

Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
You've got a wide range of schools there. I think you should apply to all of them if you can. Just break them up like this,

Schools you don't think you'll get into, but you never know

Your first choice schools

Second choice

Third choice or Emergency schools (Schools you don't really like as much but just in case you don't get in everywhere else, worst case scenario)

I think the SUNY's can be excellent depending on what you study. SUNY Buffalo IMO, is the best school overall amongst the SUNY's. I think it surpassed Binghamton in recent years. It has better facilities and seems to have happier students. Statistically though I think Binghamanton is usually ranked first then Buffalo then Stony Brook. Stony Brook is investing a lot of money into the school and they are making up a lot of ground. I like Stony Brook because it is very flexible. They are making a serious effort to make the campus atmosphere livelier there, but at the same time it is only 2 hours away from the city.
The SUNY system is better than most state systems but not in the top tier like the california system or other great state shools like michigan, north carolina or virgnia. Academically Binghamton is the best of all the SUNY schools, you generally need a A- average and 600 per section SAT's, the only one that is close is Geneseo. Stony Brook is actually better than Buffalo academically by far....stat wise it is actually comparable to NYU but NYU has great networking opportunities. Buffalo is a solid mid-level school a B average gets you in most cases.

When I applied to college about 10 years ago I applied to many of the same schools as you (UofR, Binghamton, Stony Brook, Buffalo, and a few others). I got accepted into Buffalo 3 weeks after I applied in December (it was my safety school), Stony Brooke a few weeks after that, UofR in I think late March, and Binghamton not until late May (thought I was going to be wait listed as it was one of my two stretch schools with cornell but I guess I got in on the last round of regular admission). Got wait listed in cornell but by the time they accepted me I had made all of my plans at binghamton and I figured the cost of cornell wasn't worth it. On a side note, a lot of binghamton students transfer to cornell after their sophmore year as they get the ivy degree with less cost...it also indicates the quality of the binghamton degree that cornell accepts a lot of transfers from there. Also if you apply to Med school the schools weight the undergrad GPA based on the perceived quality of education...binghamton does very well on their standards.

Also, you gotta consider the major you are leaning toward. Some schools are known for certain majors more than others. The bio/science department at binghamton is highly regarded which may be good if you're considering dentistry/med school, but no pharmacy program so they are probably not regarded the same if you want to do grad school for pharmacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York