Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 08:39 PM

9 posts, read 44,040 times

Advertisements

Looking to make a move to the Finger Lakes and have gotten mixed reviews on Pan Yan. Some said it is very laid back, other have said it is just old and tired. Seeking an area near one of the lakes that has some vibrancy but that is not quite as ecclectic as Ithaca. What can you tell me about Pen Yan? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 02:27 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
It is a village of about 5200 people. Only time I've been through there, it seemed to be OK. There was some festival going on and it had a decent looking Downtown. I'm not too sure how vibrant it is on a regular basis though. I'd probably look into Geneva, Canandaigua, Skaneateles and maybe Geneseo. Corning, even though it isn't in the Finger Lakes, it is marketed at times as being in the region and could be another option.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:22 PM

655 posts, read 2,329,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innkeeper2B View Post
Looking to make a move to the Finger Lakes and have gotten mixed reviews on Pan Yan. Some said it is very laid back, other have said it is just old and tired. Seeking an area near one of the lakes that has some vibrancy but that is not quite as ecclectic as Ithaca. What can you tell me about Pen Yan? Thanks.
Hello innkeeper,

I see nothing wrong with Penn Yan. Actually I group it in with some of my favorite or real decent small villages located at a good distance from the larger cities. Although all villages are different, I group Penn Yan along with my other favorite villages like: Cooperstown, Skaneatles, Clinton, Cortland, Hamilton, Geneseo, Queensbury area, Canandaigua (small city), Ithaca (small city), & Saratoga Springs (small city). Not all of these are in the Finger Lakes region.

If you are looking for constant activities-events-activities-shows, Penn Yan is not that. IMO, Penn Yan is a nice, pleasant, small, quiet village a good place to raise a family or to retire. I would consider Penn Yan to be "relaxed" "pleasant" "decent middle-class"; I don't call it tired & old=I call it solid and stable. There are probably some villages which are suburbs of Rochester, Syracuse, & Buffalo that are just as nice or nicer and closer to more entertainment and activities, but it doesn't sound like you want to live in a suburban city type metro city.

You mentioned "vibrancy"; that has a lot of meanings which does NOT fit any of the small villages which are my favorites; my favorite small villages are more subdued and quiet. My definition of "vibrancy" would require you to live at one of the nice suburbs of Rochester, Syracuse or Buffalo so you could live closer to those cities for vibrant entertainment-nightlife-activities. The town of Queensbury (north of Albany/not near the Finger Lakes) is nice, pleasant and near the Summer resort of Lake George, an amusement park, and Saratoga Performing Arts Center/concerts-ballet-music/horse racing/Saratoga Springs downtown & area happenings. Have you looked at/considered Skaneatles on Skaneatles Lake=Finger Lake-in the countryside but sort of close to Syracuse for activities? How about a location on the WESTERN shore of Conesus Lake nearby Geneseo with Interstate 390-close which you can drive to Metro Rochester area for special activities. What about a countryside location along the western shoreline of Canandaigua Lake (south of that small city) so you can travel to Rochester for special activities.

I'm not sure what else to tell you without more direction/requirements/preferences that you might have. Feel free to ask additional questions. All us of will try to help you.

grdnrman

Old 07-17-2012, 05:57 PM

570 posts, read 1,340,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is a village of about 5200 people. Only time I've been through there, it seemed to be OK. There was some festival going on and it had a decent looking Downtown. I'm not too sure how vibrant it is on a regular basis though. I'd probably look into Geneva, Canandaigua, Skaneateles and maybe Geneseo. Corning, even though it isn't in the Finger Lakes, it is marketed at times as being in the region and could be another option.
You know, now that I read this post, I realize that every time I have been through Penn Yan there has been some kind of a festival going on. Once or twice I have seen town-wide yard sales. There is also a dirt-track race track that is very popular with the locals. It is a few minutes from The Windmill farm and craft market and there is a wholesale auction house for plants and produce nearby. Plus you're very close to the lakes themselves. There are parts of it that could be considered run-down looking. And I am definitely partial to Corning, Geneva and Skaneateles. But I know people who love living in Penn Yan (there used to be a regular CD poster in Penn Yan, not sure if she's still on?)

Tried to rep you, but I can't again yet.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 PM

969 posts, read 2,074,618 times
I'd go with Naples or Hammondsport... Naples is not on Canandaigua but pretty close and surrounded by vineyards and has a festive but quaint and grapey atmosphere, and the hills in that area are quite beautiful, a little different from the rest of the southern tier. Hammondsport is right on Keuka, also beautiful... but not sure it's festive or vibrant... has seemed a bit quiet and relaxing when I've visited.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:14 PM

114 posts, read 214,429 times
Anyone know about any social groups in Penn Yan? I thinking of moving there too. What are some of the kinds of things that people do for leiser time?

EDIT: also, anyone from Penn Yan want to chat on IM through here. I'm looking to make friends and contacts.

Last edited by TheGreatGarfield; 07-23-2012 at 09:23 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 03:55 PM

270 posts, read 732,970 times
We just moved to Penn Yan and love it. But we love it because it's so laid back and quiet. There isn't much to do right here in town. However...it is perfectly located between three larger towns/cities in which there is much to do. Geneva, Canandaigua and Watkins Glen are all just about a half hour away. Going about an hour away in all directions brings you to even bigger cities with lots to do.

It's centrally located to lots to do, but at the end of the day, when you come home...you come home to the relaxing beauty of one of the largest mennonite communities around.

We love, love, love it here.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:21 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,548,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3829 View Post
We just moved to Penn Yan and love it. But we love it because it's so laid back and quiet. There isn't much to do right here in town. However...it is perfectly located between three larger towns/cities in which there is much to do. Geneva, Canandaigua and Watkins Glen are all just about a half hour away. Going about an hour away in all directions brings you to even bigger cities with lots to do.

It's centrally located to lots to do, but at the end of the day, when you come home...you come home to the relaxing beauty of one of the largest mennonite communities around.

We love, love, love it here.
Not to mention how safe Penn Yan is! It's quite a community.

I've been there so many times since I was a child. I don't know if it's still there but the buckwheat place had an enormous skillet on its wall.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:34 PM

270 posts, read 732,970 times
Cookie...the skillet is still on the wall I think...lol.

Yes...very safe.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,109 times
I used to live in Hammondsport for 6 years and loved to go to Penn Yan. It had more to offer plus the Windmill and Oak Hill markets were not far away. Penn Yan had a movie theater, neither Bath or Hammondsport could boast that (Bath's drive-in closed). There were new stores going into Penn Yan while I was there as well as a new motel, that says a lot. Plus it has a little airport that offered flying lessions. And the Mennonites! Aldi store had a place where they could tie up their horses while they shopped. Loved seeing them in their buggies as well as the downtown farmer's market in the fall. Plus, of course, Keuka Lake. Definitely a lot of community spirit here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York