Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What teams?
New York teams 20 64.52%
Buffalo teams 5 16.13%
Neither 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:27 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobCam View Post
CKWS is responsible for many Maple Leafs and Canadiens fans too might I add. Utica gets that.

Theres a ton of Red Sox, Celtics and Patriots fans Upstate but no Bruins.

There are also a lot of Eagles and Flyers fans and lesser extent Phillies.
Very true and they get CKWS in Oswego and Watertown. Syracuse did until the 1988 Summer Olympics or so. I used to watch Expos games on there or on Channel 15 on a fuzzy screen and in French on the non cable TV at my parent's house. Same with the CFL. Binghamton has the Ottawa Senators AHL affiliate. So, they may have a few fans.

VintageSunlight, don't forget that Cortland has the Jets training camp. So, that is something to keep in mind. Not sure about a Jets bar, but I'm sure that there is one close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 09:52 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Very true and they get CKWS in Oswego and Watertown. Syracuse did until the 1988 Summer Olympics or so. I used to watch Expos games on there or on Channel 15 on a fuzzy screen and in French on the non cable TV at my parent's house. Same with the CFL. Binghamton has the Ottawa Senators AHL affiliate. So, they may have a few fans.

VintageSunlight, don't forget that Cortland has the Jets training camp. So, that is something to keep in mind. Not sure about a Jets bar, but I'm sure that there is one close by.
I know- that's awesome. There's probably no dedicated Jets bar, there aren't even any of those in NJ that I'm aware of. Probably some in NYC or out on Long Island. Usually the Jets are on at 4:00, and the Giants play at 1:00, or vice versa. So usually there's a place I can watch, like a TGI Fridays or Buffalo Wild Wings. Or I can cough up some dough and get the NFL Sunday Ticket with Direct TV. Whatever I need to to, I'll do it!

I always wondered if Jets held their camp in Cortland to capture the Central NY audience and fan base. Albany is clearly Giants-NFC and Patriots-AFC territory. Western NY is solid Bills Country. But CNY, being that it is somewhat on a cusp between Bills and Giants territory, with some Patriots mixed in, I think the Jets strategically chose that area to make in-roads in a 1,000,000+ population area. To basically suck up fans that would normally choose Bills and Pats (both which are in their division):

http://www.commoncensus.org/maps/nfl_1280.gif

Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I know- that's awesome. There's probably no dedicated Jets bar, there aren't even any of those in NJ that I'm aware of. Probably some in NYC or out on Long Island. Usually the Jets are on at 4:00, and the Giants play at 1:00, or vice versa. So usually there's a place I can watch, like a TGI Fridays or Buffalo Wild Wings. Or I can cough up some dough and get the NFL Sunday Ticket with Direct TV. Whatever I need to to, I'll do it!

I always wondered if Jets held their camp in Cortland to capture the Central NY audience and fan base. Albany is clearly Giants-NFC and Patriots-AFC territory. Western NY is solid Bills Country. But CNY, being that it is somewhat on a cusp between Bills and Giants territory, with some Patriots mixed in, I think the Jets strategically chose that area to make in-roads in a 1,000,000+ population area. To basically suck up fans that would normally choose Bills and Pats (both which are in their division):

http://www.commoncensus.org/maps/nfl_1280.gif
A great sports bar to check out in the area and in other parts of Upstate NY is Tully's. https://www.tullysgoodtimes.com/orde...ocations/index Great Chicken Fingers, by the way.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:52 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
I live in Syracuse and am a Red Sox fan, but I've been a Red Sox fan as long as I've been a baseball fan... it has nothing to do with where I live. I don't follow football, basketball, or any other sport

Old 08-16-2012, 08:05 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
^^ Go Sawks

I'll be checking out Tully's for sure- looks like a good local place.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
^^ Go Sawks

If you go with High Acres, the closest location is in Fairmount on W. Genesee Street. If you go from ESF, the location on Erie Boulevard East is the closest. Think of perhaps a scaled down Dave and Busters.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:52 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Quote:
^^ Go Sawks

I'm going to the Yankees/Red Sox game down at Yankee Stadium on Saturday! I'm super excited, haven't been down there yet. And guarantee I will be the only person in my group sporting Red Sox apparel

Old 08-16-2012, 12:22 PM

506 posts, read 1,025,610 times
I grew up in the Albany area as a NY Giants fan (yes, I am old enough that they were still playing in NY when I became a fan). As for the other sports, my mother was born in Boston so she raised me to be a Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics fan. The Patriots are my AFC team, but the Giants are still my favorite football team.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:23 PM

5,689 posts, read 4,090,496 times
My favorite team is always whoever is the Bills oponent that week.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:36 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,918 times
You don't have a "Both" in your polls. Any team that plays in New York State is a New York team imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York