Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 11:01 PM

213 posts, read 1,084,852 times

Advertisements

Wow. Thanks for the details. I appreciate a non-native view b/c if I move there I will be a transplant too.

Like you, I am outgoing, but in our current location, if I start talking to people I don't know (as in the scenario I described), they look at me like I'm from mars. I remember one time I was at Dayton's (now Macy's) looking at a rack of clothes, and I made a small comment (small talk) to the woman standing next to me. She literally stepped back, looked me up and down as if to say 'do I know you?' and then walked away without saying a word.

So, speaking of shopping--you mentioned malls. Are there malls in Plattsburgh? If my research is accurate, there is one mall there. What stores does it have? I'm okay with going to Montreal or Burlington, but sometimes it's nice to just duck out for a quick shopping trip.

Did Plattsburgh see any snow yesterday or today? Got some over here in our neck of the woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 11:42 AM

3,457 posts, read 10,223,021 times
Plattsburg has a fairly decent sized mall. Gander Mountain (camping/hunting fishing), ****'s Sporting Goods, SEars, & Penneys. Am I missing an anchor Plattsburger? Also, Lowe's, Wal-Mart etc.
Over in Burlington we have Church STreet Marketplace and the Town Center with Macy's as it's anchor. Typical malls stores & some mom & pops. University Mall has Kohls, Penneys, Sears & Bon Ton with maybe 50ish smaller stores. Williston is big box central - Wal Mart, Bed & Bath, Linens & Things, Best Buy, Xmas Tree Shops, Dicks, etc.
But your best shopping friend is giong to be Montreal! I love going up there to shop. Ikea, Simons, Le Bai, St. Catherine Street, Rue St. Denis, etc.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:57 PM

518 posts, read 2,007,633 times
Thumbs up No snow................Buffalo is a long way from here.....

Thanks for all the help, Vermonter! I am from a large southern city originally, so was shocked to move up here in 80 and find that Penneys was the largest store here............I do love Montreal but takes a bit more planning for those that have work schedules and kids, etc.........so do Burlington a lot more....

We don't actually get that much snow........Burlington gets more because of lake effect. We are seeing more transplants now and actually there are lots of non-natives due to several reasons...........the Plattsburgh University draws people (both professors and employees from all over) and lots of students come here and love it....many from Long Island, etc., marry and never go back home. They love it here. We have some transplants that are former AirForce Base relatives......me, for instance, who just never left the area even after the base closed, but had family here......The hospital has many professionals who are not from here either and many of the chain stores import their own managers from away. Also, we are seeing now an influx (post 9/11) of semi-retired, retired and also second home owners from downstate and Jersey who come here to look and fall in love with the Adirondack way of life, lakes, mountains, cheap land, and beauty. I hear that log homes on the few empty lakefront areas are being snapped up and some really nice homes are being built here, so of course natives are complaining because assessments are rising. It is a good time to be in a smaller area, that's for sure. I only read about home invasions, crime, traffic, and race problems.......People seem to get along. Our previous mayor was the first openly gay mayor of NY state. He was elected by a very wide margin and reelected. Jump in here, Vermont............Oh, also we are experiencing more and more Vermonters buying housing on this side of the lake since the prices (for some reason) are very different. There seems to be a housing shortage in Vermont, but some people live here and work there. Might sound bad, but you would be amazed how many do this every day. It is actually less time that most big city commutes and less traffic. Come on over.......I do think you would like it here.........It's an easy place to like.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:44 PM

It's an affordable housing shortage thats sending some Vermonters over the lake to NY. I know someone who lives in Plattsburg and works in South Burlington, but is on a 24 hour on/48 hour off schedule so it works OK. I had to go over to Plattsburg State for a 2-day class last winter and was amazed at how many folks were coming off the boat from NY and getting picked up or getting their car out of the parking lot to drive to Burlington.
Down my way, quite a few folks live in Ticonderoga/Crown POint/Port Henry and commute to Burlington.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:13 PM

This has been very helpful to me. I haven't heard of a lot of the stores in Montreal, but I'm game to try them. Heard we'll all need passports to get in/out of Canada w/in the next few years--don't have one yet, but that's easily fixed.

My spouse and I will be visiting our son in Boston next week and we're thinking about trying to make our way up to Plattsburgh to check it out. We won't have a car (could rent one, though). Do you know if there is a train that would take us there instead? Or maybe I should ask it this way:

What's the cheapest way for us to get from Boston to Plattsburgh (and back)? Would just like to spend the day.

Oh--and my application (to the university at Plattsburgh) is in now. You've really helped alleviate my fears, so I decided to give it a whirl.

Plattsburgher--what kind of research are you doing? Anything I can help with? You've given me so much time, I'd like to return the favor.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:17 PM

IMO it's a bit to far from Boston for a day trip. You'll have to stay over night. I would rent a car. It would be easiest and fastest. It's 3.5 hours to Burlington from Boston assuming no traffic, another half-hour to the ferry, and depending on how long you have to wait for the ferry, figure around a 1/2 hour. Then, it's another 15 or so minutes to Plattsburg proper (although there is a new highway from the ferry to Route 9 (I think thats the route?) that should make it a bit faster. So...you're looking at about a 5 hour one-way trip.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
IMO it's a bit to far from Boston for a day trip. You'll have to stay over night. I would rent a car. It would be easiest and fastest. It's 3.5 hours to Burlington from Boston assuming no traffic, another half-hour to the ferry, and depending on how long you have to wait for the ferry, figure around a 1/2 hour. Then, it's another 15 or so minutes to Plattsburg proper (although there is a new highway from the ferry to Route 9 (I think thats the route?) that should make it a bit faster. So...you're looking at about a 5 hour one-way trip.
No train?

If we did rent a car, would we have to go through Burlington to get to Plattsburgh? I thought we could drive through on the New York side--through Albany and up?

Old 10-16-2006, 07:33 AM

I suppose you could take a train out to Albany, then north to Plattsburgh, but that would take forever. Driving, its 3 hours to Albany, then 2+ (correct me if I'm wrong) to Plattsburg. I would venture to guess that most folks who go from Plattsburg-Boston would go through Burlington.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:44 AM

Okay--thanks! We'll check out renting a car--if we have time.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:41 PM

518 posts, read 2,007,633 times
Wink It's only 25 miles south of the Canadian border........

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
Okay--thanks! We'll check out renting a car--if we have time.
Hi. I definitely agree with Vermont. Too little time to take train or drive here from Boston. There is a train that does run from NYC-Albany to here and on up to Montreal and it is listed in Amtrak as one of the 10 most scenic train rides in the US and is fantastic to head to NYC as you ride right into Penn Station and just take a cab from there to hotel, HOWEVER...........there are too many variables if you are trying to see things in one day.......traffic, weather, and you will not have enough time if you drive. Jet Blue might fly you from Boston to Bton, but it won't be cheap and for one day, probably won't be worth it. My best friend lives in Burlington and we travel as much as possible. We leave Boston for my place (Pburgh)and go toward Albany, bypass Albany by taking the Troy exit (mapquest has it down) via 767 then hook onto 87 north and past about Lake George there is no traffic at all.......just lots of trees and speeding cars. He has a radar detector but.......be careful and watch for the state police. They know that Plattsburgh State kids and Quebecers coming back from a weekend in the city are usually speeding, so they are usually in the median. I personally wouldn't even try it for 1 day and I have driven down to N Carolina non-stop. There is a fantastic chamber of commerce here on Rt 9 near the beach and if you can stop there, you would get lots of info although they are only open on weekdays............I am sure if you called, they would be very helpful and send you info....Our train is great but with all the cutbacks for Amtrak, it only comes through once a day heading north and once a day heading south............It wouldn't probably be anywhere near the time you would want.......it does parallel both Lake Champlain and the Hudson River most of the way, so is beautiful.......Know this is disjointed but I am tired..............need to find out about a town in N. Carolina named Greenville. Tired of winters up here.........love to garden and love the ocean and seafood and warm weather and live music and want to go to a college town that has all of that and has a vibrant economy and Greenville has about 60,000 and East Carolina University and is growing, but housing is cheap..........oh, and since I was born, bred southerner......love football and don't mind the heat at all. I have enjoyed this part of the country though for 25 years, and it has been the absolute best for raising my children........one is in pharmacy and the other in high school, but time to think about me and my extended family...........No hurry.........just getting started since I doubt if I will ever be able to retire......hopefully just have a bit more free time to travel...........Good luck and good night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York