Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 12:03 PM

213 posts, read 1,087,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
need to find out about a town in N. Carolina named Greenville. Tired of winters up here.........love to garden and love the ocean and seafood and warm weather and live music and want to go to a college town that has all of that and has a vibrant economy and Greenville has about 60,000 and East Carolina University and is growing, but housing is cheap..........oh, and since I was born, bred southerner......love football and don't mind the heat at all. I have enjoyed this part of the country though for 25 years, and it has been the absolute best for raising my children........
Plattsburgher--I wish I could help you even half as much you've helped me. Unfortunately, I've never been to Greenville, N. Carolina. My spouse has visited there and says it's beautiful--but that was only a visit (many years ago at that). Funny--I'm applying all over the country for a job in my field--but I've ruled out the south b/c I hate hot weather. There was a position that sounded written for me in Boone, N. Carolina and another in Morgantown W VA, but I'm too skeptical (of climate and economy in those towns) to apply. Also just saw a position in Millersville PA and am starting to research that area. I'm hoping the Plattsburgh job works out, actually. Sounds like a place I'd really like to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 05:54 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,126 times
Thumbs up Just wondering.............

Are you applying for an admin job here at the college? Or are you a professor? If you get job here, think you will like it if you don't mind the cold. Know quite a few people who work at the college.........NY State benefits are great. The union at the college is also highly rated. It is an interesting mix of locals but a lot of Long Island kids and other city kids as well. Many of them develop ties to area and don't want to go back to city life as they knew it after being a little more back to nature here.......Don't have a clue about N Carolina..........doing a lot of research. I just dislike the long winters here so much. It is actually snowing here tonight! Good luck with job.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:20 AM

160 posts, read 564,607 times
I moved to Plattsburgh six months ago and agree completely with Plattsburgher: it's a great place to live. Moved from NYC and have found the schools fantastic, the recreation incomparable (excellent and cheap city rec programs) and the people great. Compared to the big city, of course, it's much cheaper, but there are property tax issues, though that's a problem throughout NY state. The real estate market is a bargain for the east. We're glad we moved here and not, say, Colorado, by the way. (No meth here, at least not visibly so like in the West).
The downtown is ready for a comeback. Needs an anchor retailer that can attract both students and grownups (I vote for a Virgin Records megastore), and with a bit more attention, the city center can become really bikeable and walkable. The malls and big boxes are what they are, but they're here when you need them, which is a plus.
The summer was so nice, we (wife and two kids) barely felt any need to go to Burlington, which was unexpected. We haven't done a winter yet, but it will have to be absolutely horrifying to outweigh the cool green summer.
And NOTHING IS EVER TOO CROWDED!
You might check and see the rates on Continental's "puddle jumper" flight from Plattsburgh's micro-airport to Boston; it's surprisingly frequent, though not sure how much it costs. But you don't have to go on the ferry then.
Good luck in your decision.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:11 AM

Default professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
Are you applying for an admin job here at the college? Or are you a professor? If you get job here, think you will like it if you don't mind the cold. Know quite a few people who work at the college.........NY State benefits are great. The union at the college is also highly rated. It is an interesting mix of locals but a lot of Long Island kids and other city kids as well. Many of them develop ties to area and don't want to go back to city life as they knew it after being a little more back to nature here.......Don't have a clue about N Carolina..........doing a lot of research. I just dislike the long winters here so much. It is actually snowing here tonight! Good luck with job.
I'm just finishing my PhD (I visit this site when I need a break from dissertating )--the job is an assistant professor position.

We didn't make it up to Plattsburgh or Burlington when we were in Boston last week. We just ran out of time. But my visit to Boston convinced me NOT to apply for a similar position at the university in Salem, MA. Don't think I wanna do city-life (though some would argue that Salem is a small town!). In fact, I think I need a vacation now!

Old 10-30-2006, 10:17 AM

Default First post-----to me??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunoco View Post
I moved to Plattsburgh six months ago and agree completely with Plattsburgher: it's a great place to live. Moved from NYC and have found the schools fantastic, the recreation incomparable (excellent and cheap city rec programs) and the people great. Compared to the big city, of course, it's much cheaper, but there are property tax issues, though that's a problem throughout NY state. The real estate market is a bargain for the east. We're glad we moved here and not, say, Colorado, by the way. (No meth here, at least not visibly so like in the West).
The downtown is ready for a comeback. Needs an anchor retailer that can attract both students and grownups (I vote for a Virgin Records megastore), and with a bit more attention, the city center can become really bikeable and walkable. The malls and big boxes are what they are, but they're here when you need them, which is a plus.
The summer was so nice, we (wife and two kids) barely felt any need to go to Burlington, which was unexpected. We haven't done a winter yet, but it will have to be absolutely horrifying to outweigh the cool green summer.
And NOTHING IS EVER TOO CROWDED!
You might check and see the rates on Continental's "puddle jumper" flight from Plattsburgh's micro-airport to Boston; it's surprisingly frequent, though not sure how much it costs. But you don't have to go on the ferry then.
Good luck in your decision.
Hey, thanks. Helps to hear from another person--especially one who (apparently) also considered moving to other places.

So you're feeling welcomed there in Plattsburgh?

...How bad are the bugs? I swear, if I swat another Asian beetle I'm going to scream. My house is covered with the darn things. (I'd love to know who brought them to the US. They're supposed to take care of aphids, but I've gotta tell you, I was never bothered by an aphid and I'm bothered daily by these stupid beetles.)

I'm flatterd to see that your first post was a reply to me.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:39 AM

160 posts, read 564,607 times
Default sorry for the late response

My pleasure. I was strolling around the web that day and found this and figure'd I'd chime in.
The bugs in town aren't terrible. A few days (July 4!) had rotten mosquitoes, and I'm told the blackflies in the mountains during a few weeks out of the year are awful, but we didn't face them.
Some ants in the spring try to get in, but nothing major. No cockroaches (knock wood). No beetles. Maybe this was an aberrant year. But it definitely did not live up to its nickname, Splatbug
The welcome could not be warmer. Our kids have been accepted and are thriving. My wife has made more close friends here in six months than in 10 years in NYC (and that's not a knock on NYC). The people are very nice and down-to-earth. Maybe a little too much. The place is so self-effacing, it doesn't promote itself. I think it's ripe for a good growth spurt, because of its proximity, cheap real estate (which never got overinflated by the bubble), and fantastic schools.
Don't know about the job situation, though.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunoco View Post
My pleasure. I was strolling around the web that day and found this and figure'd I'd chime in.
The bugs in town aren't terrible. A few days (July 4!) had rotten mosquitoes, and I'm told the blackflies in the mountains during a few weeks out of the year are awful, but we didn't face them.
Some ants in the spring try to get in, but nothing major. No cockroaches (knock wood). No beetles. Maybe this was an aberrant year. But it definitely did not live up to its nickname, Splatbug
The welcome could not be warmer. Our kids have been accepted and are thriving. My wife has made more close friends here in six months than in 10 years in NYC (and that's not a knock on NYC). The people are very nice and down-to-earth. Maybe a little too much. The place is so self-effacing, it doesn't promote itself. I think it's ripe for a good growth spurt, because of its proximity, cheap real estate (which never got overinflated by the bubble), and fantastic schools.
Don't know about the job situation, though.
Haha! Funny nickname--"splatbug"! I currently live in Minnesota, and the bugs are horrible here. The mosquito is our state bird. We have a fabulous backyard and can't use it b/c the bugs carry us away.

I am so glad to hear about the warm welcome you, your wife, and kids have had, Nunoco. As for the job situation--if I get offered the job at SUNY-Plattsburgh, I can always ask them to give me a little bit of time before I answer. That way, we can fly out there and my husband can try to find a job to supplement his own design business. He has a lot of experience and has won awards for his designs, so he should be able to find something within the industry. He'd even be open to picking up a job at Lowe's.

I've applied for a position at 3 different universities in 3 states, but I am most excited about this job and this location. Everything I've heard/read about it sounds great. I wish I weren't so enthused--makes rejection (if that should happen) all the worse!

Anyway, if I get invited for an interview, I'll get to see the place myself. That alone will be an experience!

Old 11-06-2006, 10:53 PM

17 posts, read 104,020 times
Default Plattsburgh is Great

I went to SUNY Plattsburgh from 2001-2004 and absolutley loved it. Plattsburgh is a nice area where the people are friendly yet some would be considred redneckish. Especially if you go in Walmart. The people there do not have teeth. Plattsburgh is very mixed it has its affluent class, lower class, and poor. You can not beat the location. Montreal is the best city in the world with so much to do and you can go there just for the day or weekend. Berlington is also nice. Church street has great shops and places to eat. Plattsburgh has the Champain Centre mall which is semi-decent and lots of resturants some really nice ones on the Lake. I'm still trying to get my sister to go there for college as well. If you love the cold like 10 degrees being the normal temp. then plattsburgh is the place for you.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:47 AM

Default How cold is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanyfl12 View Post
IIf you love the cold like 10 degrees being the normal temp. then plattsburgh is the place for you.
Ten degrees ABOVE zero? Folks in MN bring out their shorts when it's anything above zero in the wintertime!

Honest to goodness, one day after I first moved to MN, I awoke to the forecaster announcing that the temp was minus 72 degrees--that's with the windchill factor. I almost died! The governor closed down the state for two days one year--no school (including higher ed), no government agencies, no businesses were open. We were all instructed to stay home.

I'm telling you, when a person walks outside in the wintertime here, their nose-hairs freeze with their first breath. I swear!

But I wouldn't be leaving MN b/c of the weather. I actually like it here very much. It's very pretty. I just need a job in my area, and that generally means looking nationwide for the right fit.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:51 AM

15 posts, read 66,126 times
Default also considering Plattsburgh

Hello all!

My family and I are also considering Plattsburgh for a move next summer, and I had a few questions.

What kind of community sports, activities, etc. are available for kids in the summer? My kids are afraid of not making any friends all summer long, and an activity of some sort would really help them break the ice a bit. Out here in Seattle area, they like soccer and basketball, or my girly girl is into speech/drama type stuff. Is soccer a big thing there, too? Where I'm from in NM it is not really around much. In fact, I think the only people who played soccer in small town NM were the rich ones, and we always made fun of the "soccer snobs!"

I'm having a hard time seeing really big, affordable houses on-line. I have 6 kids so I need my own apartment building! Can anyone recommend a good realtor or rental person?

My hubbie and me are visiting the area right after Easter, so is the weather very easy to deal with at that time of year? I know snow is still a possibility, but is it common then?

Thanks so much for any info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York