Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 05:04 AM

24 posts, read 57,281 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

We recently moved to NY/NJ area with my current job. I have 2 work locations both close to the west side of TAPANZEE Bridge. So as long as I can get on palisades from N or S it is same for me.

We are considering to buy a house considering and possibly settling down. The primary counties we wanted to consider ares Bergen and Rockland. However we are disappointed with the quality of home we are finding in our budget (<400K). Typically they are small old homes which are sometime renovated or not.

Me and my wife personally prefer something new and nicer (2000+) and in the price range of (<400K). We also would like the area which has fair amount of retail activities. We do not want to live in crowded neighborhood or townhouse built on top of each other. We are ok with town home bit they have to built nicely.

Our search has expanded to orange county, NY. In particular Woodbury-Monroe area where we have notice plethora of new construction. We do not see ourselves living in this area forever, but definitely good 4-5 years.
I am currently seeking advise on pros and cons to this area. This area in particular has been growing strong on us.

I work for pharmaceutical industries and we would also like to consider Morris County but was not too impressed.

Any advise will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
If I worked on the west side of the Tappan Zee, I would live in West Milford, NJ; Ringwood Township, NJ; or in the Bloomingdale / Oakland area of NJ. I would avoid Pompton Lakes, even though its a nice area, due to the Dupont environmental contamination that they have discovered there.

These areas I mentioned are great if you are looking for breathing room and people not living on top of one another. Especially West Milford, the homes are reasonably priced and there's tons of open space. Also, shopping areas are mostly located right down Route 23 in Riverdale, and are not subject to Bergen County's blue laws (closed on Sunday).

Old 08-16-2012, 10:41 AM

715 posts, read 2,509,501 times
While I like the Monroe-Woodbury area, some issues do exist with Kiryas Joel; wouldn't let this steer you away, though, as many of your other regional requirements (such as plenty of housing to choose from, tons of retail, easy N/S access via Thruway or Palisades, easy NYC access if you so desire, etc.) are satisfied.

Other locations in Orange County that are worth looking in to...Washingtonville, Chester, Goshen, Middletown, Montgomery...

Old 08-16-2012, 12:03 PM

211 posts, read 431,187 times
Don't do it, it 4 or 5 years the Hasids will have a stronger hold on the MW area and your home value will be hurt also the school system there is highly overated and is finnaly coming to light. The new construction of the last 10 to 15 years around here has been half ass at best. 20 plus years here in the area and finnaly escaping to the Midwest at years end.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:54 PM

You bring good points to the table about the immediate MW area, Zakas -- but, the residents of Kiryas Joel have little or no impact to most other communities within the county is nil. ZIXY, I'd try to get more opinions from residents of the MW area before making a decision; I'd also highly recommend looking at Washingtonville, Chester, Goshen, Middletown, Montgomery (where I'm from).

Old 08-16-2012, 08:21 PM

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for comments. We just came from a long tour on M-W area. We saw some new construction, some newer homes (2000+). However I have to say I was not to impressed. Looks like really country side with all shops around outlet and that is it.
I am also getting worried about if we move in next 5 years, will we able to sell the house. We definitely won't be living there for rest of our lives as I will most likely change jobs in next 3-5 years. They will continue to build newer homes and real estate values aren't going up tremendously i next 5 years. I will say at the modest at 3.5% (rate of inflation). Hence I will have to sell them below new construction and probably looking to sell at a loss then until or unless I do upgrades.

Please send me suggestion for other areas I should focus as the housing here is ridiculous expensive and on top of that property taxes.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:43 PM

Zixy: Try Washingtonville, Chester, Goshen, Middletown, Montgomery in Orange County.

I'd at least give N NJ another shot: Sussex (Newton) / Morris (Mt. Olive, Denville, Morristown) / Passaic Counties (West Milford).

Old 08-16-2012, 08:53 PM

We really found a beautiful home in Chester NY. Huge house and we can really get it for good bargain. Very well maintained. However feel like it is exburbs.

One question about Ringwood/West milford. I have heard bad things about skyline dr during winter being closed. Any comments?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:59 PM

The distance difference from MW and Chester to your job in Rockland is nearly negligible (7 miles more from Chester). Chester also gets you a little closer to Middletown (more retail) and still only 7 miles from MW retail. Exurbia? To NYC? Sure. To Rockland? Not so much. Even so, NYC exurbs extend a good bit farther north and west from Chester. If you can get a good deal on something you really like, I'd pull the trigger.

As for Skyline Dr.; not an expert in that particular area, but elevation + snow = travel issues.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:47 AM

211 posts, read 431,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
You bring good points to the table about the immediate MW area, Zakas -- but, the residents of Kiryas Joel have little or no impact to most other communities within the county is nil. ZIXY, I'd try to get more opinions from residents of the MW area before making a decision; I'd also highly recommend looking at Washingtonville, Chester, Goshen, Middletown, Montgomery (where I'm from).
Oh really, so all the tax breaks that they receive, grants for hospitals, schools, and all the govt assistance that they suck dry isn't felt at all by the neighboring communities? What about when they tried to tap into the NYC watershed supply behind environmental and local govt banks? What about their expansions into Blooming Groove, Chester, Monroe, and New Windsor?? How about how they exploit illegal/migrant workers to their advantage?Don't make statements that you can't back up and don't try to tell someone how something is where you have never lived or experienced instead of relying on hearsay and the TH-R.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York