Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 02:03 AM

12 posts, read 50,287 times

Advertisements

My husband wants to purchase a retirement home in Kerhonkson NY. We have looked all over Ulster, Orange, Sullivan and Columbia counties but he is set on Kerhonkson.

First let me say rural is no problem. We have horses and rural is ok with us.

I can't go too much further North as I am a cancer survivor and my doctors are in the NY Metro area - I am completely unwilling to leave the doctors who saved me from stage IV cancer.

My husband is on disability. So that means fixed income. I do not work, or can work but only part time.

If we buy the home outright (in Kerhonkson) and own it - will the taxes kill us?

We know there are cheaper tax options further North, but again, the problem is not going too far from my doctors, if God forbid I ever get sick again.

We are currently on Long Island, renting and paying between rent and board for our horses what's probably two mortgages. It's literally ALL of his disability pay.

ANY advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Thank you all so much!

PS I can add that if need be I would be willing to adopt my horses out to other homes - except that they are what kept me going through cancer, so I feel disloyal to them even considering it - unless we have no choice but to move to another place where we can't have them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 05:10 PM

40 posts, read 152,665 times
While taxes are high here, it won't be as bad as LI. What's the fascination with Kerhonkson? There are a lot of other places, particularly Wallkill area and Gardiner where you could find a horse property and be more convenient to things including better access to NYC. Kerhonkson is only near Ellenville which is not a good spot. You'd be a long way from any good shopping areas (almost 25 miles to Kingston, probably more to Middletown or Poughkeepsie. Engage a local realtor and go see some properties. They will bw able to give you a good idea on taxes. I'm imagining you'll want a few acres, mostly fields.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,601,887 times
I owned property in New Paltz and the taxes were very high. You'll be rather far from NYC.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 PM

222 posts, read 711,607 times
One place in Orange County that you might consider is Circleville. It's very close to Middletown where you can take the MTA train. I'm not sure what the taxes are there, but it is a horsey area. As is Pine Bush. Check these places out. I think they are nicer than Kerhonkson.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:28 AM

12 posts, read 50,287 times
He really likes Kerhonkson because it is so rural. Believe me we don't EVER plan to visit Ellenville. Is the crime high in Kerhonkson? It's 25 mins or so to Kingston exit on Thruway and about the same to New Paltz But the hubs is liking the whole dirt road thing in the woods. I'm ok with it as long as the area is safe and he can get me to NY every three months for follow ups and if I need hospitalization we will just load up the RV and go stay in the hospital parking lot for the duration. Praying that never happens of course. We did check Gardiner, Wallkill and Pine Bush but the homes were substantially higher in cost and the taxes also seemed higher. The town of Rochester will give him a property tax break because he's on disability and I don't work. That plus the Star. Taxes should be fair to decent (Especially compared to here)

Are the people in Kerhonkson friendly? Crime? There seems to be a lot of horses in the area. So far we seem to think it's ok but we haven't committed yet. Our friends in Saugerties say it's nice but again "too far out" which the hubs is a huge fan of this... My other friends in New Palts poo poo it and say it's "one tooth"

I have to admit, I don't hate it at all. Yes, it's remote but we don't really go anywhere anyway. It wouldn't be a problem to do a huge grocery shopping say once a month. Besides we'd have to hike down to Yonkers anyway as we shop at Whole Foods - at least in winter when the local organic farms aren't producing.

Mostly want to know about the crime, or the people and what to expect?

Old 09-22-2012, 01:18 PM

40 posts, read 152,665 times
Most of Ulster County is safe except for the midtown area of Kingston aka "The Hood". You shouldn't need to hike to Yonkers to shop. Adams Fairacre Farms in Kingston has good produce all year. Hannaford is also good with some organic as well. You could also check out Emmanuel's in Stone Ridge. Seems a higher end store (Stone Ridge is fairly upscale with some Broadway people having second homes. By the way, the sweet corn here is fantastic but maybe you already know that.
I don't really know much about Kerhonkson people. The village area doesn't look all that great, but you'll be out in the country. People kind of keep to themselves around here but they all help each other when there is any kind of disaster. There are a fair amount of Ukrainians in that area if you like that culture or food that may be a plus. And you're a stone's throw from Lake Minnewaska.
Crime here outside of "the Hood" is mostly DWI and people getting caught with pot or other drugs. It's not much of a threat unless you have to drive late at night on weekends. Break ins do happen, but if you lock your doors all the time you should be OK. View it as at least no less safe that LI and maybe slightly safer.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 AM

45 posts, read 72,020 times
I've lived in Kerhonkson and several other of the places mentioned. Kerhonkson is rural and so are many other nice places, that would give you easier proximity to NYC and other amenities that you will not find near Kerhonkson. THe last place I resided, which was for more than 10 years, was mentioned by another poster. If anyone is interested in Pine Bush, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York