Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 01:38 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience?? I can find the stuff on the innerweb but sometimes its hard to tell.

It would be late September (afew weeks!!!). Price is not THE factor but it could be A factor.

Fireplace and in room hot tub would be a HUGE plus. Its my honeymoon so not a basecamp for hiking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 09:49 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Anyone have any experience?? I can find the stuff on the innerweb but sometimes its hard to tell.

It would be late September (afew weeks!!!). Price is not THE factor but it could be A factor.

Fireplace and in room hot tub would be a HUGE plus. Its my honeymoon so not a basecamp for hiking.
It won't be cheap if that's what you're looking for especially on weekends. While the summer tourists are gone, you now have the leaf peepers coming out and weekend rates increase because of them. Well, at least that's the excuse they use. LOL

I've never stayed in a hotel in Lake George, but be careful there with the cheap hotels/motels. Some are pretty nasty. I would only stay in a well name chain hotel there not an EconoLodge.

I've stayed in Old Forge once. I usually go camping up at Raquette Lake or go for the day when going to Old Forge. I stayed at the Waters Edge Inn on Thanksgiving weekend and it was pretty nice. Some rooms face First Lake. Not a bad view to wake up to. I've seen deer in the parking lot in the winter.

Lots of hotels don't have fireplaces due to insurance issues. So that may be a bit tough to find. Jacuzzi is pretty easy to find.....hot tub not as much.

Water's Edge Inn: Old Forge NY Hotel & Conference Center, Upstate NY Hotel, Premier Lodging Resort Adirondacks

The Moonstruck room has a fireplace and a jacuzzi. Adirondack Hotel and Tavern - The Big Moose Inn

Adirondack lodging | Old Forge, New York Hotels | Motels | Inns | Cabins

Old 08-31-2012, 03:28 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times
Well cheap wasn't really important though I'm not marrying Ivanka Trump either.

May places are as you say, dumps, others are built to impress Vanderbuilts. Most are call for prices. A grand a night is fairly common. That is, to say the least, out of my range.

Many/most add 11% tax plus 15% gratuity. 26% on top of the bill is no joke when your talking real bling bling.

I ended up booking a nice quiet resort near the high peaks region. Looks good. We'll see.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:58 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Well cheap wasn't really important though I'm not marrying Ivanka Trump either.

May places are as you say, dumps, others are built to impress Vanderbuilts. Most are call for prices. A grand a night is fairly common. That is, to say the least, out of my range.

Many/most add 11% tax plus 15% gratuity. 26% on top of the bill is no joke when your talking real bling bling.

I ended up booking a nice quiet resort near the high peaks region. Looks good. We'll see.
The taxes are dreadful! Half the time they don't warn you about them and when you get the bill at the end you're like what the?

Ivanka is taken so I knew you weren't marrying her.

Good luck! The high peaks will be beautiful in September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York