Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 13,158 times

Advertisements

Hi All! I am new to the forum and love how informative it is. I do have a question.

How safe is the City of Poughkeepsie ? I am looking to move to the south side area around Beechwood Ave., Tamidan Road area. I heard the city is really bad but this area seems really quite nice and safe. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 12:50 AM

715 posts, read 2,508,821 times
Hello and welcome to the forum!

You are correct -- the City of Poughkeepsie is a dangerous place. However, the areas north of Main Street are more dangerous than the areas south of.

The streets you mentioned are safe; generally, the closer you are to Vassar College, the better.

Streets to avoid: N Hamilton, N Clinton, Catherine, Conklin, Garden, N Bridge...

Let me know if you have any more specific questions about the area!

Old 09-30-2012, 02:20 PM

34 posts, read 95,619 times
Hi, Yourstruly, and welcome to Poughkeepsie! Lived here most of my life, and the Beechwood Avenue area is one of the best areas. I believe it is considered city of Poughkeepsie, not the town area. Main Street is horrendous and needs to be avoided. I, personally, would also avoid living right near the high school or middle school, or anywhere close to Main Street, whether it's north or south of it. Most of the town of Poughkeepsie is fine. That would include the Vassar College area, and the Dutchess Community College area, as well as the whole Vassar Road area. I would suggest that after looking at houses for sale, that you would also do several rides in the neighborhood at night, especially on a Friday or Saturday night. If you have kids in school, you might want to look for a house in the Arlington School District, rather than the Poughkeepsie School District. A house in the Beechwood area would be a part of Poughkeepsie schools. You might also consider driving up Route 44 and Route 55, which is considered town of Poughkeepsie, and is "safe", or as safe as anywhere can be. There's lots of shopping all over. Be sure to check out Adam's Fairacre Farms on Route 44, as well in Wappingers. Great place for produce, gourmet food, bakery, deli, greenhouse, landscaping, etc. Oh, also look at the Spackenkill area, which is in the town of Poughkeepsie, and has it's own school district.

At any rate, welcome to Po-town. There's lots to do around here. Enjoy!

Old 11-15-2012, 11:20 PM

14 posts, read 41,546 times
Bellesmama nailed it. Listen to every word. Brilliant.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:02 PM

21 posts, read 62,308 times
South side of Poughkeepsie is beautiful! Nice old Dutch colonials and mansions, well manicured neighborhood. From Hooker on, not so much! The city is only 5 sq miles and really the ONLY city in entire Dutchess County besides Beacon (which is more like a village). The few adjacent streets to Main and Market are seedy because it is the county hub(courts, welfare, dmv, etc.)Hence the lower rents and quality of life.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:05 PM

21 posts, read 62,308 times
****Oh yea, just make sure it is town schools (Spackenkill or ArlingtonSchool district.) The city of Poughkeepsie has their own district and horrible!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 11,533 times
Hi Everyone! I am searching for an affordable town, city to retire with hubby. My daughter currently lives in Spain but we do not want to live abroad. Native New Yorker all the way. My brother suggested Poughkeepsie. Is it safe for 55+? My husband likes quiet small towns but I think of medical facilities and shopping. Therefore, do you recommend Poughkeepsie and where in Poughkeepsie, south, north, etc? I would greatly appreciate the info. Thanks and have a wonderful afternoon.
Margaret

Old 01-18-2014, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 17,591 times
Hello,
Thank you for all the information. I am looking at Cherry street and have a toddler. Any thoughts on that? I am new to the Hudson area and am ambivalent as it seems your fine city has so much to offer kids, and yet there is this other element. I am also looking at Rhinebeck. Any thoughts or suggestions. I could really use the help.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:33 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakmebcn View Post
Hi Everyone! I am searching for an affordable town, city to retire with hubby. My daughter currently lives in Spain but we do not want to live abroad. Native New Yorker all the way. My brother suggested Poughkeepsie. Is it safe for 55+? My husband likes quiet small towns but I think of medical facilities and shopping. Therefore, do you recommend Poughkeepsie and where in Poughkeepsie, south, north, etc? I would greatly appreciate the info. Thanks and have a wonderful afternoon.
Margaret
South side of the City of Poughkeepsie is beautiful. And because you don't care about schools, you want to buy a house in the Poughkeepsie School District because it will be cheaper. And there is plenty of shopping along Route 9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York