U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:42 PM

81 posts, read 337,806 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get some info on this place and the history of Fire Hill in Austerlitz
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 04:22 PM

218 posts, read 1,411,897 times
I lived 200 yards from it growing up. The owners back then was LaGonia First name George I believe. It was bought again and has since shut down.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchick30 View Post
I lived 200 yards from it growing up. The owners back then was LaGonia First name George I believe. It was bought again and has since shut down.
Thanks
Do you know why it shut down..or anything else about the place.How is that area?

Old 10-13-2007, 08:02 PM

I do not know why it shut down, my brother said it seemed to be doing well. It used to be a horse barn, in the 70's before it was a restaurant. Although it says inn it was a restaurant. To me it is in a very odd place in the middle of no where.... which is where austerlitz is... no mans land. Its the foothills of the berkshires closest country store is 2 miles and it is the only store within seven miles. and marked up more then it needs to be, but then your paying for convienence so you dont have to go into "town". Its a mountain town not much in Austerlitz itself but plenty around near by. My father was a fireman for austerlitz and spencertown for many many years.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:06 PM

Fire Hill Inn is at the end of Fire Hill rd, I assumed you were speaking of the restaurant.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:04 AM

Spoke to family and apparently the owners of fire hill inn also own the Mexican radio restaraunt in Hudson.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchick30 View Post
Spoke to family and apparently the owners of fire hill inn also own the Mexican radio restaraunt in Hudson.
We were looking for land or a house in that area and saw the Inn and were wondering why and when it closed,seems like it was a nice place.
Do you know the history of Fire Hill and how the name came about?
Could you tell me the pro's and con's about that area?
Thanks

Old 10-14-2007, 10:05 AM

Now isn't that funny, My brother and I are selling our family home which I said earlier is 200 yards from fire hill. Fixer upper! Link to the real estate is http://www.cbprime.com/property/property.asp?PRM_MLSNumber=27120939&PRM_MlsName=CR MLS
If your seriously looking, I'm sure a realtor can give better history of area.
There are a couple in Spencertown, Gabel Real estate, Beach and Bartolo. Gabel is a local family along with Beach. Listed in phone book or search it on internet.
Unfortunately local history wasn't my thing although, I have just started reading the book "and so it was" which is history of the Punsit Valley (Spencertown & Austerlitz). I lived there from the time I was 2, until I moved to NC in 98. It's peaceful living at its best, friendly neighbors, quiet beautiful senery. I hate that we have to sell but I have no plans of moving back to Ny, and it's to much house for my brother. SO..... lets say, life was good up there. Most families are close nit up there. Close church community. Lots of after school activities for the kids. Summer camps. Hikeing Fishing hunting.
Now a lot of local complain the city people are taking over and driving up taxes, taking over local politics and therefore changing things as I knew them. So.....if you really want info do a little research, I'd love to help if you have questions. Spencertown & Austerlitz (i keep saying Spencertown because Fire Hill is I believe is in Spencertown) I grew up thinking our property was on the border, I no longer know if that is true. I still go to visit and it is pretty much the same families of when I was growing up, the faces and generations change but it is still the same families. I was always told you may want to move but you'll always come back. Its just the way it is. It draws you back. These towns are pretty much in the middle of everything. Mass. Conn. Ver. NYC, can all be day trips. There is theatre and Entertainment everywhere. Albany, Catskill, Pittsfield, all with in an hr.
Skiing at catamount 20 min. Windom, Hunter 1 hr to 1 1/2 hr. Jimminy Peak. Nice golf courses. Great restaurants.
What else would you like to know. I rather like talking about home ( and yes I still call it home)

Old 10-14-2007, 06:53 PM

Like I said..we are looking in that area..it seems to be such a nice place.
We saw the Fire hill and wondered... with a place so far from everything did people actually come to this place or did it shut down due to lack of people?

Old 10-14-2007, 07:26 PM

yes people came. Lagonia's was fine dining. I never went after it was sold. My brother said it seemed pretty busy when the new place opened. I know there was Pizza and apparently a bar which drew a good crowd. It use to be that the family that owned it also owned the little cottage between the pond and restaurant and the house on the other side of the pond.
a 1/4 mile up fire hill was another family that owned another rest. in Ghent. They both still operate restaurants/pizza places in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York