Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 07:28 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,268,817 times

Advertisements

I'd be willing to bet that not only will most not pay taxes but many will get EITC.

Mostly teenagers from what I can tell.

Hospitals and private schools are huge money generating systems. Can you imagine if the state could get its hands on 20% of SU's football money?? Middle class tax cuts all around. And property taxes on all SU's buildings?? They own almost all the good looking buildings in Syracuse.

Little point in taxing public schools but lets hammer the crap out of the private ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 07:31 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think you are making things up or assuming people would react that way. Who cares if Cary NC gained that many people? Good for them. While Syracuse's city population has declined, many factors like annexation(or lack there of), changes in the economy(in manufacturing in particular) and people just moving to the suburbs are a few reasons why, among others. With that said, there has been recent investment in the city and the losses have nearly stabilized the last decade. So, there are some signs of positive change. Hence, some of the optimism. How dare people have that?

Keep in mind that a suburb like Cary is going to have different issues than an older city center. So, the comparison is kind of apples and oranges.

Also, if you look at posts before you were on here, there are many discussions about consolidation of government entities, which I mentioned and actually am in favor for to a degree. That may help reduce taxes and attract businesses. I think this can be achieved with places with a village and a town have the same name becoming one entity in terms of government or some smaller school districts consolidating. With this said, the pros and cons need to be weighed, as we have to wonder why places with less government still have an overall COL as high as Upstate NY areas, if not higher. This discussion is played out on older threads and hope that you and your forum buddy are satisfied now.
I think you are making things up or assuming people would react that way. ??

Who cares if Cary NC gained that many people? I care. It tells me that the area has something good going for it that is making it drain half the population of Long Island and many, many Upstaters. It makes me question why. It makes me question just how good the quality of life is there. Since I've lived it, it makes me question if I'm crazy not to return there. Does that answer your question? Maybe you don't care, but I do.

Good for them. While Syracuse's city population has declined, many factors like annexation(or lack there of), changes in the economy(in manufacturing in particular) and people just moving to the suburbs are a few reasons why, among others. And I've mentioned these factors. People moving to the suburbs have changed the metropolitan population negligibly. Otherwise there'd be a boom in the county, and that's just not the case.

With that said, there has been recent investment in the city and the losses have nearly stabilized the last decade. So, there are some signs of positive change. Hence, some of the optimism. How dare people have that? Again, you go back to this premise that people want to see the area fail. Why do you do that? I've noticed the stabilization and its one of the factors that's making me look at the area. If it was in freefall decline, I wouldn't even consider it. Trust me, people around here seeking moving to the snowbelt is quite uncommon.

Keep in mind that a suburb like Cary is going to have different issues than an older city center. So, the comparison is kind of apples and oranges. Agreed, but population is going somewhere. As someone who loves demographics, I am interested in why people go to different places. The explosion of the Raleigh Cary area is something that could be emulated to a lesser degree, possibly, if people knew how to implement what is going on there. Its not just the weather, as there are as many people who hate the heat/humidity as hate the snow, if not more. I am one of them.

Also, if you look at posts before you were on here, there are many discussions about consolidation of government entities, which I mentioned and actually am in favor for to a degree. That may help reduce taxes and attract businesses. I think this can be achieved with places with a village and a town have the same name becoming one entity in terms of government or some smaller school districts consolidating. With this said, the pros and cons need to be weighed, as we have to wonder why places with less government still have an overall COL as high as Upstate NY areas, if not higher. This discussion is played out on older threads and hope that you and your forum buddy are satisfied now. Good ideas and I'm not sure who my forum buddy is. Honestly, I have no idea who you are referring to.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 PM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I'd be willing to bet that not only will most not pay taxes but many will get EITC.

Mostly teenagers from what I can tell.

Hospitals and private schools are huge money generating systems. Can you imagine if the state could get its hands on 20% of SU's football money?? Middle class tax cuts all around. And property taxes on all SU's buildings?? They own almost all the good looking buildings in Syracuse.

Little point in taxing public schools but lets hammer the crap out of the private ones.
Many older people take those jobs at Destiny. So, it is more than just kids.

Maybe the football money is being used for the construction you see on campus. This acually occurs. If the property is off of the main campus, perhaps that may make sense. Many private colleges get their money from donations from alumni.

What about churches, as they are tax exempt? How far should we go?

Old 10-24-2012, 08:01 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Many older people take those jobs at Destiny. So, it is more than just kids.

Maybe the football money is being used for the construction you see on campus. This acually occurs. If the property is off of the main campus, perhaps that may make sense. Many private colleges get their money from donations from alumni.

What about churches, as they are tax exempt? How far should we go?
Perhaps the exemption should be limited to the house of worship and those assets that have are providing a benefit too those less fortunate???

Old 10-24-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I think you are making things up or assuming people would react that way. ??

Who cares if Cary NC gained that many people? I care. It tells me that the area has something good going for it that is making it drain half the population of Long Island and many, many Upstaters. It makes me question why. It makes me question just how good the quality of life is there. Since I've lived it, it makes me question if I'm crazy not to return there. Does that answer your question? Maybe you don't care, but I do.

Good for them. While Syracuse's city population has declined, many factors like annexation(or lack there of), changes in the economy(in manufacturing in particular) and people just moving to the suburbs are a few reasons why, among others. And I've mentioned these factors. People moving to the suburbs have changed the metropolitan population negligibly. Otherwise there'd be a boom in the county, and that's just not the case.

With that said, there has been recent investment in the city and the losses have nearly stabilized the last decade. So, there are some signs of positive change. Hence, some of the optimism. How dare people have that? Again, you go back to this premise that people want to see the area fail. Why do you do that? I've noticed the stabilization and its one of the factors that's making me look at the area. If it was in freefall decline, I wouldn't even consider it. Trust me, people around here seeking moving to the snowbelt is quite uncommon.

Keep in mind that a suburb like Cary is going to have different issues than an older city center. So, the comparison is kind of apples and oranges. Agreed, but population is going somewhere. As someone who loves demographics, I am interested in why people go to different places. The explosion of the Raleigh Cary area is something that could be emulated to a lesser degree, possibly, if people knew how to implement what is going on there. Its not just the weather, as there are as many people who hate the heat/humidity as hate the snow, if not more. I am one of them.

Also, if you look at posts before you were on here, there are many discussions about consolidation of government entities, which I mentioned and actually am in favor for to a degree. That may help reduce taxes and attract businesses. I think this can be achieved with places with a village and a town have the same name becoming one entity in terms of government or some smaller school districts consolidating. With this said, the pros and cons need to be weighed, as we have to wonder why places with less government still have an overall COL as high as Upstate NY areas, if not highe
r. This discussion is played out on older threads and hope that you and your forum buddy are satisfied now. [color=Blue]Good ideas and I'm not sure who my forum buddy is. Honestly, I have no idea who you are referring to.[/
COLOR]
OK Vintage, I believe you on the buddy comment.

I don't try to assume anything. I just try to provide information and could care less about affirmation. I think many times people let the media or talking heads think for them. It is like the tax thing. People have to consider other costs than taxes.
What hurts NY is the business tax thing more than the real estate property tax thing, because people are moving just for jobs. What is ironic is that yearly income in places like Charlotte and Richmond is about the same as Syracuse's yearly
income and overall COL is roughly the same. So, maybe it is about having certain skills for what is available.

Chasing smokestacks isn't going to cut it like it did in the past. Maybe if people realized that the CNY region had the second biggest insurance/risk management employment east of the Mississippi River, they would plan accordingly. Or see what Syracuse Research Corporation was about. Perhaps noticing some of the engineering jobs at various companies in the
state. Why get an education degree if teachers are being laid off across the country? Basically, plan accordingly in that
regard, as what works or is needed in one place may not be the case in another.

As for Onondaga County, it added 9,000 people between 2000-2010. So, while it isn't a boom, which isn't necessarily good if the planning isn't there, it is positive nonetheless. Actually, the 3 county metro population for the Syracuse area peaked in 2010.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Perhaps the exemption should be limited to the house of worship and those assets that have are providing a benefit too those less fortunate???
So, would only "mega churches" have to pay taxes? I say that, because most churches are what you described and many don't or can't do the second part.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:04 PM

215 posts, read 384,850 times
Quote:
Wow. Are you serious?
That's your response??? That's all you got? A Captain Obvious meme? Somehow I am not surprised though.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Instead I get a lecture from other people on here that Buffalo wings are from Buffalo and they're damn proud of that. Its inept comments like that, and comments from people who defend them, for the reason that Buffalo is in the sorry state that its in. I get a lecture on how NY is nothing like Illinois, like I just compared NY to some third world country.
Oh please, don't give me that. My point(and I had one) was that because Buffalo Wings are from Buffalo, the city's name is out there in sub-culture. Buffalo gets name recognition alone from having it's name on a lot of "Buffalo" flavored product, thus Illinois having Buffalo Wings is no different than any city in any state(they all pretty much have them at this point). Since we are "going there"..well then yes, again Buffalo has the advantage, The Anchor Bar in Buffalo is where the wings were established and visited by many out of towners. Of course the actual city a certain product is known for is always going to be considered by many the best or at the very least have the edge. I have been to NYC and LOVE New York Pizza, and even though some places here have "New York Pizza", it's still not the same.

For someone who told me to "chill" a few pages back, you sure do a good job of talking down to people, putting words in their mouths and name calling

P.S you seem to keep harping on the comments here about how many of us do NOT think Ill and NYS are virtually the same, you had nothing when asked what cities/landmarks are the Illinois equivalent of NYS. Instead you backed out of that one with the "Captain Obvious" meme.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,313 times
^^ Ok. You win. My opinion about Illinois and NY being similar was wrong.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
^^ Ok. You win. My opinion about Illinois and NY being similar was wrong.
No no, you are RIGHT!! So right. You clearly have been to both states, and traveled through them both to see that they are "exactly" the same. It's not just NYS and Illinois mind you. Did you know Alaska and Louisiana are exactly the same? Ditto for California and Delaware. Same for Florida and Kansas. Actually, every single state in the Country is exactly the same. They all have trees, and people, grass, and air. Yes, you are very right and I am the wrong one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York