Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 02:01 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,040 times

Advertisements

Other historic reasons for NY be irrelevant today.

Back in the day water was important both as a power source and method of transport. NY has the Hudson and Mohawk which together made NYC an easy market. Which allowed NYC to grow which allowed Upstate to expand. Basically if you could get it to Utica from the West of Albany in the East you could get it to the city. Plantations extended as far West as Little Falls.

Later when rail for transport and steam and electric motors ended the need to be near a stream alot of industry started up in the same spots just because thats where the people were.

As the taxes and unions drove those business out of NY the people had to follow. Many kept right on going all the way to China.

When or if industry returns to America, and I think much will return, it will have no ties with any state nor have any need to be near water or any other natural feature. They will go to low tax and right to work states.

NY's history is great stuff but has nothing to do with current events. Much of NY pride is based on things no longer here.

This coupled with the fact that most NYer's have family elsewhere, and many have more family elsewhere then here, should really get the ball rolling on de-populating Upstate. All reports show it well under way but the other states are having a rough go of it currently. As soon as the other states get there economies moving again the exodus will hit its full stride.

This depopulation will be looked at with great happiness by many, mostly Downstate. Many people want NY to be a play ground for the super rich and I'm betting they are gonna get it. Not good or bad really, everything has winners and losers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 03:38 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I don't think NY is irrelevant, but manufacturing has changed throughout the country. So, adjustments will have to be made or continue to do so.

Also, may be more important, if projections about water being an issue in parts of the Sunbelt are true.

You also can't forget about the Erie Canal and other canalsthat served/serve a purpose as well.

As for depopulation of Upstate NY, I don't know, as some areas added people. As Downstate becomes expensive for some, moving Upstate may be and is an option for some of those residents.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Perhaps not central air but I have seen where most have window units at the very least except for the very low income areas. It would probally be safe to say northern transplants ensure they have it.
Actually, there are MANY people in the South who aren't poor who don't have a/c. Every year my local Lowe's did a fan drive. You could buy a box fan at a huge discount and you had to donate it to be used by a local in need. Yes, there are many people in the South who don't even have fans. There are many more poor people in the South than there are those with money. And no, not all folks who relocate to the South have a/c and there are many who are in lower income areas. Just because you're from the North doesn't mean you're rich or particularly well off.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:27 PM

My grandmother moved to Florida in the 70's and died not to far back.

Not really rich but far from poor.

She never had any kind of air, even a window unit.

My Dad lives there now. He does have air, central, but rarely uses it and then only for afew hours in the afternoon a couple months in the Summer.

For myself I like AC at night but during the day the hotter the better and keep it coming. I'd say add about two degrees to how hot you like it and take 5 from how cold you can stand it for every year past 40.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't think NY is irrelevant, but manufacturing has changed throughout the country. So, adjustments will have to be made or continue to do so.

Also, may be more important, if projections about water being an issue in parts of the Sunbelt are true.

You also can't forget about the Erie Canal and other canalsthat served/serve a purpose as well.

As for depopulation of Upstate NY, I don't know, as some areas added people. As Downstate becomes expensive for some, moving Upstate may be and is an option for some of those residents.

Lots of manufacturing going on. GM has a huge new truck part plant opening in Texas shortly. All high paying union jobs. As shipping costs climb, and the dollar falls, building in the US will make more and more sense. Just never gonna see any of it in NY. Ever.

The Erie Canal is a interesting thing in itself. The state spend a fortune building it and completed it right about the time railroads started being the big thing. But the state made railroads charge the same as a canal boat. Kinda makes you wonder how much different things would have worked out if the state wasn't married to that ditch running down the center.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Lots of manufacturing going on. GM has a huge new truck part plant opening in Texas shortly. All high paying union jobs. As shipping costs climb, and the dollar falls, building in the US will make more and more sense. Just never gonna see any of it in NY. Ever.

The Erie Canal is a interesting thing in itself. The state spend a fortune building it and completed it right about the time railroads started being the big thing. But the state made railroads charge the same as a canal boat. Kinda makes you wonder how much different things would have worked out if the state wasn't married to that ditch running down the center.
Actually, you see more smaller scale manufacturing in NY and I think the big plant manufacturing has been on the decline here, as much of it has gone overseas. Here's an interesting article about small scale manufacturing in Brooklyn: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/ny...pagewanted=all

Many of the manufacturing postings from a thread I started came from smaller companies, not huge companies.

As for the Erie Canal, it opened up trading to the West(or what was considered the West at that time). So, perhaps you could say that it had a positive effect on what are now major Midwestern cities as well.

Anyway, with all of this said, consideing the amount of people from NJ, CT and even NE PA that go into NYC for work, the geography of NYC and the metro area is unique in comparison to the major cities of the states mentioned by the OP. That is something that has to be considered when doing such comparisons.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Anyway, with all of this said, consideing the amount of people from NJ, CT and even NE PA that go into NYC for work, the geography of NYC and the metro area is unique in comparison to the major cities of the states mentioned by the OP. That is something that has to be considered when doing such comparisons.
Given what happened yesterday with that chick Sandy I am wondering how the landscape in that area is going to be forever changed. How much will be rebuilt and what will just relocate. They're still working on the World Trade Center.......11 years later and it's not even close to being done.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Given what happened yesterday with that chick Sandy I am wondering how the landscape in that area is going to be forever changed. How much will be rebuilt and what will just relocate. They're still working on the World Trade Center.......11 years later and it's not even close to being done.
Great question and I wouldn't be surprised if 9/11 had an affect on the population in the area, to some degree too. I'm sure that some will be scattered to places within and outside of the Northeast.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Great question and I wouldn't be surprised if 9/11 had an affect on the population in the area, to some degree too. I'm sure that some will be scattered to places within and outside of the Northeast.
With what seems like a whole neighborhood in Queens gone from burning down, I imagine many of those folks will relocate elsewhere. It takes awhile to rebuild after a fire under normal circumstances and this is far from normal. It would be interesting to find out later on how many stayed in Queens and how many moved elsewhere and if they stayed downstate.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
In forer times the northeast had huge advatage in transport and energy avilabilty to create manufacturing base. In WWII that started to shift with war production. Then alot of the worlds econmy recovered from destruction which help this country be the world producer. its a natural shift to lower more competitive productio cost even in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York