Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times

Advertisements

In the neighbor's backyard, a 30 foot maple tree has fallen on top of another tree that is still standing. I fear it can fall on top on the road hurting or killing someone. Who should I contact if the owner seems like they have no intention of fixing the problem? Does someone have to die in order for a "LAW" to be created? What happened to common sense? Anyone got any ideas? What happened to volunteer tree cutters? What happend to helping one another out? I have to cut down 4 trees and I got one estimate so far for $9500!!! They're robbing me blind. Insurance wont cover it (high deductible) This is messed up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 06:10 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
In the neighbor's backyard, a 30 foot maple tree has fallen on top of another tree that is still standing. I fear it can fall on top on the road hurting or killing someone. Who should I contact if the owner seems like they have no intention of fixing the problem? Does someone have to die in order for a "LAW" to be created? What happened to common sense? Anyone got any ideas? What happened to volunteer tree cutters? What happend to helping one another out? I have to cut down 4 trees and I got one estimate so far for $9500!!! They're robbing me blind. Insurance wont cover it (high deductible) This is messed up!
Save the moralistic rant...If you feel that their is a danger to cars/pedestrians than contact the town and let them pursue if removal is required. We have enough stupid, unenforcable rules on the books everywhere we don't need anymore...

Old 11-05-2012, 06:10 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
In the neighbor's backyard, a 30 foot maple tree has fallen on top of another tree that is still standing. I fear it can fall on top on the road hurting or killing someone. Who should I contact if the owner seems like they have no intention of fixing the problem?
Your township.

Quote:
Does someone have to die in order for a "LAW" to be created? What happened to common sense?
What type of "law" do you want? They aren't going to go around cutting down any tree over 10'.

Quote:
Anyone got any ideas? What happened to volunteer tree cutters? What happend to helping one another out?
Volunteer tree cutters? Where? When?

Liability, lawsuits, and people are busy with their own trees right now.

Quote:
I have to cut down 4 trees and I got one estimate so far for $9500!!! They're robbing me blind. Insurance wont cover it (high deductible) This is messed up!
So buy a chain saw for $150 and take care of it yourself.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:24 AM

I am not advocating any new laws. Just stating that if something does go wrong, then eventually some politican will create a law and such. I was thinking, possibly dreaming of volunteer tree cutting crews from down south or out west coming to NY to help and assist the re building efforts. Buying a chainsaw is not the problem, its the height of the trees and houses nearby which make it difficult for a regular homeowner to do so

Old 11-05-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
I am not advocating any new laws. Just stating that if something does go wrong, then eventually some politican will create a law and such. I was thinking, possibly dreaming of volunteer tree cutting crews from down south or out west coming to NY to help and assist the re building efforts. Buying a chainsaw is not the problem, its the height of the trees and houses nearby which make it difficult for a regular homeowner to do so
Again, they won't due it due to liability. If my husband was to come to your house with his chainsaw to cut down the tree and got hurt, he wouldn't be covered under workers comp. If he was to do damage to your house or someone else's in the process, he would be liable. There is no "Good Samaritan Law" for this type of thing.

If you can't do it, why would you expect someone else to volunteer to do it?

The only time my husband has helped with post-storm tree removal was at my sisters house, and even there, he and my brother-in-law left a couple of the ones very high up or too close to the house for the pros to handle.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
But you are advocating a new law "Does someone have to die in order for a "LAW" to be created?", that was in your original post. It's most doubtfull that a "volunteer tree cutting crew" would be heading north. As an industry it requires licensing & insurance (at least here in VA). It appears you don't like a quote you received than shop around. With the current recovery efforts going on most service providers are getting top dollar.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Contact the local authrities as most states have hazard elimination law that requires local authorities to elminate them. That can even be by doing it when the person won't and putting a tax lien for the cost. Happens all the time here with hurricanes.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:57 AM

For all you know your neighbor has already hired someone to take the tree down but they can't make it for a week. have you even asked them, or are you just assuming?

Old 11-05-2012, 05:28 PM

If it wasn't so damn expensive, I would have paid to get the neighbor;s tree chopped down as well. A couple of ppl have contacted the town already and they will look into it immediately. We only did so after informing the neighbor (who according to long time residents does not give a damn about anything) but were told to mind our business and that the tree is not a problem. I hardly understand the licensing, liability and other cost related issues that affect the price in NYC and surrounding counties only. People don;t realize that license fee is quite small and insurance related costs vary due to a variety of factors. As for the "law" issue, I was only being sarcastic. I think you are reading into it too much. Too bad volunteers haven;t come out to help. This is a tremendous out of the pocket expense in this economy and running to the insurance companies will set your rates higher for the yrs to come, nevermind the deductible. Oh well, the cost of living in ****ty NY. No wonder we are loosing young ppl and business to other states. Even to cut a damn tree you have to go through paperwork depending on the town bylaws, unbelieveable. Lemme guess in this period of need, you all think there is no price gouging going on? That;s why I love Mexicans....they do a better job for quarter of the price. I love them. Thanks anyway.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:30 PM

I think you are grossly miscalculating the cost of workers comp and liability insurance for tree companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York