Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,514 times

Advertisements

We just moved from KS due to my husband's new job which is in Carmel. I have been offered a position in Commack but I haven't been able to figure out how feasible is to find a place to live that can work for both of us.

We currently live in Danbury, CT but we are willing to move to whatever location we need to. Any ideas? I would really appreciate any imput because this is driving me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 10:26 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
You have a long hard drive if you are going to Commack from where you are.
Otherwise, you can take the train into Penn and LIRR out to Babylon or take the North branch of the LIRR to Deer Park, but then you will need a cab to get to Commack [unless you want a rather unreliable bus]. Took the train down from upstate and from Penn, it takes a good hour to get to Babylon. The trains to Deer Park ( closer to Commack) aren't as often. If you are thinking of driving, the traffic would be horrendous.... I go down fairly often; have family near there.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:40 PM

90 posts, read 686,502 times
Midpoint ..probably the Bronx, but I doubt you'd want to live there.

Your options aren't good. The idea of commuting through the NYC area to get to work on the other side would make me cringe. Maybe you can find a job in CT someplace or the lower or middle Hudson Valley. IMO ...that commute would be better than dealing with traversing the Bronx, Queens, and Nassau counties everyday during rush hours. You would get heavy traffic heading from Westchester or the Bronx south , then heavy traffic going east on Long Island because a lot of people now commute east also on L.I. (not just into NYC). Then going home you get the fun of joining all the Manhattan commuters as they head home through the Bronx into Westchester etc.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:54 PM

90 posts, read 686,502 times
An innovative idea might be to take the car ferry from Bridgeport to Port Jefferson, Long Island. You could live perhaps a little northwest (inland) from the Bridgeport/Stamford area to lesson your husband's commute up to Carmel. Then you hop the ferry to Port Jefferson and then drive the 18 miles southwest to Commack. You avoid the entire NYC traffic nightmare that way. The question is ..how much would the ferry be and is it feasible for a 5 day a week commute. I have no idea if they give discounts to regular commuters etc.

Your husband could be looking at a 45 minute or 1 hour commute northwest , but its against the typical rush hour commuters so not too stressful (relatively speaking).

Old 10-16-2007, 11:32 AM

9 posts, read 32,252 times
If you're in Danbury I think you're close enough to Carmel for a fairly easy commute. However, the best time you could do on a commute to Commack would be 1.5 hours - 45 minutes to the Throgs Neck bridge and 45 minutes out to Commack. Any problems with the bridges, 684, 95 or the Long Island Expressway could add to that.

Have you looked at the White Plains area for work? Lots of big companies in the area (Pepsi, IBM).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York